Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If it was a guy from one of the firms around the place then making a complaint to them would be a good place to go as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    If it was a guy from one of the firms around the place then making a complaint to them would be a good place to go as well.

I would if I knew. He drove off before I could get much detail from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Got an email from Groody saying internet will be down about 10 minutes to carry out some updates... AS IF IT'S SOMETHING NEW!
    Sorry for any inconvenience caused, fingers crossed it might improve it, but I shan't be holding my breath...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Oh ffs. People who don't bother doing the requisite reading for a class and then dominate the lecture by shouting their opinion on something they have already admitted to not reading :confused:

G. T. F. O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Emailed and lecturer nearly two days ago and he hasn't replied back yet. I've no module outline and the module isn't even on Sulis so I've no idea about assignments or anything and we haven't been emailed by him yet about anything either! Is anyone doing European Cinema who can shed any light on this? The lecturer is Joachim Fischer. Blah! I do not need this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Love how UL footpaths turn into rivers if theres a shower of rain. The one on the from the arena to the east gate is brutal. The new one outside the bus stop isnt much better either.

garv123 wrote: »
    Love how UL footpaths turn into rivers if theres a shower of rain. The one on the from the arena to the east gate is brutal. The new one outside the bus stop isnt much better either.

Try the river walk thing that goes along the river bank. Legend has it that several people have gotten lost in those puddles and haven't been seen since.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

any idea how to connect to the wired internet in the library? i've plugged in the cable but nothings happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

any idea how to connect to the wired internet in the library? i've plugged in the cable but nothings happening

Not being smart but make sure the wire is connected at the other end, some of the wires are very loose and easy to knock out. Should connect automatically otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ricimaki

It connects automatically. Some of the cables are crap. Check both ends are in fully, and try and get one with a latch that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Sometimes I find turning off your wireless while you plug in helps, so it stops trying to connect to the WiFi which is temperamental at best.

edit: and yes, finding a cable that hasn't had the hooks snapped off by the more ham-fisted library patrons is important

And if none of that works, go to:

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Manage Adapter Settings

and make sure your Local Area Adapter is enabled.

Are you getting anything from the cable at all? There was a period a few years ago when instead of "Network // Internet Access" coming up in my System Tray I was getting "Network 2 // No Internet Access". So if that's what's coming up, post back. There's a long and convoluted way to try and fix it, but I won't waste time typing it if it's just a dodgy cable. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I know with my laptop the wireless overrides a wired connection. That was a bit of an embarrassment half an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

you're a great bunch of lads, working now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Masters Thesis printed and submitted, woo! No more staying in the library til 11 having to listen "DUNFAR AN LEABHERLANN I GCEANN CUIG NOIMEAD DEAG..." and having to see the loudest person in the building, that security guy who has a perpetual puss on him like someone pissed in his cornflakes every morning, doing his rounds loudly shushing or standing over everyone who makes even the slightest sound.

• Advertisement

Jikashi wrote: »
    Masters Thesis printed and submitted, woo! No more staying in the library til 11 having to listen "DUNFAR AN LEABHERLANN I GCEANN CUIG NOIMEAD DEAG..." and having to see the loudest person in the building, that security guy who has a perpetual puss on him like someone pissed in his cornflakes every morning, doing his rounds loudly shushing or standing over everyone who makes even the slightest sound.

YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE NOISE IN THIS AREA

what about you

DONT YOU CHEEK ME

So sleepy.:( Why don't they have areas where people who commute where you can go sleep? The library is no good and I feel like everyone else is looking at me!:pac:

I submitted a cover letter for a coop placement I was only half interested in...

According to the noticeboard I'm the only one going for it...

This is not good... :\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

MPI

Ugh.

Since when did the medical centre only give out medical certs on the day you're sick?! By the time I could get out of bed on Monday, it was shut... Yesterday, I had a full day so couldn't get going so I went today as soon as I got a break, only to be told I can't get one. So that's marks for two lab reports and attendance marks down the drain :/

Also, don't like the serious decline in the amount of equine books in the library. We went from having a row and a corner to two tiny corners, barely a book per module...

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    Since when did the medical centre only give out medical certs on the day you're sick?! By the time I could get out of bed on Monday, it was shut... Yesterday, I had a full day so couldn't get going so I went today as soon as I got a break, only to be told I can't get one. So that's marks for two lab reports and attendance marks down the drain :/

Also, don't like the serious decline in the amount of equine books in the library. We went from having a row and a corner to two tiny corners, barely a book per module...

Can see it being hard to guess who was genuinely sick before they could be seen and who is chancing their arm. Have a chat with your lecturer and explain, nothing to lose by doing so anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

So sleepy.:( Why don't they have areas where people who commute where you can go sleep? The library is no good and I feel like everyone else is looking at me!:pac:

I used to commute, and used constantly ask for the same thing. Think it would be class.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I used to commute, and used constantly ask for the same thing. Think it would be class.
    I know! Forget about building a bloody nightclub on campus, build a kind of (what do they call it in hospitals again? Can only think of Scrubs!) On-call room, is that it? That's want we need!
    :( Think I'm getting a cold. I do not need this. Also, it is too cold outside. They should also supply hot chocolate and blankets to everyone in the library when it is this cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Lovely and sunny outside :)

YFlyer wrote: »
    Lovely and sunny outside :)

Too warm! :(

Seriously, being forced into wearing a tie in this weather is cruel and unusual punishment!

Have ice tea :D

Have ice tea :D

I don't like hot tea... I can't imagine making it cold will make it better. :pac:

1 interview down, 1 to go, then I can ditch this getup for a more subdued t-shirt and jeans. :)

I don't like hot tea... I can't imagine making it cold will make it better. :pac:

1 interview down, 1 to go, then I can ditch this getup for a more subdued t-shirt and jeans. :)

Best of luck with the interviews man :)

Gluck buddy, remember to unbutton shirt and roll up sleeves for one you don't want, and turn every question they ask you to how their family's doing.. :P

It was way too warm in the library! How am I supposed to study when I feel like I'm melting! :P Also found a purse in the toilets second floor of the library so I handed it to one of the staff. Wasn't sure whether to just leave it or not in case the person would go back to where they had it last but I felt like I couldn't leave it there. Thankfully checked later on and they told me they'd sent out an email so hopefully she'll see it and collect it!

• Advertisement

It was way too warm in the library! How am I supposed to study when I feel like I'm melting! :P Also found a purse in the toilets second floor of the library so I handed it to one of the staff. Wasn't sure whether to just leave it or not in case the person would go back to where they had it last but I felt like I couldn't leave it there. Thankfully checked later on and they told me they'd sent out an email so hopefully she'll see it and collect it!

Another email eh... >=[
    Lucky I'm in the right thread... :P

Some fcking idiots driving around Groody beeping horn, music up to max, then parked up and got out... Standing outside shouting to each other now, feet from my window... Honestly think gate should be locked and members with cars given gate keys, you can walk to the gate for the taxis...
    Ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

probably the same gob sh1tes kicking over wheelie bins in Elm Park the other night, and their "friends" laughing at them. can't understand that.

I know! Forget about building a bloody nightclub on campus, build a kind of (what do they call it in hospitals again? Can only think of Scrubs!) On-call room, is that it? That's want we need!
    :( Think I'm getting a cold. I do not need this. Also, it is too cold outside. They should also supply hot chocolate and blankets to everyone in the library when it is this cold!

Agree whole-heartedly. I remember one day in 1st year (think it was LIT rag week), I couldn't get home for a few hours, I was feeling so sick and tired, I was at my friend's house where it was too cold to sleep...... I went to the library, sat down on one of the comfy seats and put a newspaper over my head. Couldn't actually go to sleep, felt really self-conscious :P

A dark, quiet room to sleep in would be the best investment this university ever made.

Hmmm... Would you guys be willing to pay for such a room? Say a few euro?

I could get some blackout blinds and ye could nap on the couches in my house in Dromroe...

#entrepreneur

I could get some blackout blinds and ye could nap on the couches in my house in Dromroe...

#entrepreneur

I have a house now... but I definitely would have been willing to pay back in the day :p

Although... if a randomer came up to me saying that I could go back to their house and sleep in a darkened room in their house during the day for a small fee..... I'm not sure I'd have accepted. :pac:

#entrepreneur

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

3rd interview in 2 days this morning...

Not even I can delude myself into thinking I'm qualified for this one...

I don't even get why I was called for interview when they specifically request something that I made no mention of on my CV...

Oh, and cheers for the best wishes guys. :)

3rd interview in 2 days this morning...

We haven't had any yet :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Not even I can delude myself into thinking I'm qualified for this one...

Fvck that, delude yourself. They're the ones who called you for an interview after all. ;)

snausages wrote: »
    Fvck that, delude yourself. They're the ones who called you for an interview after all. ;)

It didn't go as badly as I'd expected. :)

I actually managed to answer the technical questions they asked which seemed to make them happy...

Unfortunately I cocked it up in the first 15 seconds by totally freezing and being like a rabbit in the headlights. They asked the "Tell us about yourself?" question and my brain just said "... Soz bro, I got nothing!" so immediately a sh*tty first impression there.

F*ck it though, considering I'd never done an interview before yesterday, I suppose it's to be expected there'd be a few cock ups. :)

Interviews are a pain, just so much effort, people getting nervous and panicking unnecessarily. I guess the key is just remaining calm, but it's a lot easier said than done.

I hate them...
    I get the jumpy leg thing and if there's not a desk between myself and them, they're sitting there thinking, "What the fcuk is up with this young fella... What's wrong with his leg! Why's it jumping! It's moving his entire body, do you think he notices it! Will we ask him?"
    Of course I notice it! It's my leg! But I can't stop it!
    Also don't ask me to pour anything during an interview, lest you want a shower.. :P
    "This interview went great, but finally, would you be able to pour us all a glass of water before you leave...?"
    F***... :P

Laugh about it afterwards when I'm down Post Office.. :P

I had my first ever proper interview a few weeks ago for Co-op... had a bit of an unfortunate start, as I ended up turning up late...

This was after I had listed punctuality as one of my most positive attributes :pac: (in fairness, I generally am)

There was a bit of a mix-up with the sheet with the details of my interview that I got from the co-op office. The tick for location crossed 2 boxes, and I only realised half an hour before the interview that it was actually on in town rather than in the main building. Called a taxi at 9 o clock, ended up getting stuck in traffic, and arriving a few minutes late.

Can't have been a great first impression :P interview itself went grand, I don't actually tend to panic in those situations myself, which is handy..... or maybe I just didn't have time to worry about it because I was in a bit of a rush :P

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I have a house now... but I definitely would have been willing to pay back in the day :p

Although... if a randomer came up to me saying that I could go back to their house and sleep in a darkened room in their house during the day for a small fee..... I'm not sure I'd have accepted. :pac:
    I'd probably accept I'd be so exhausted I'd do anything! Jesus when I'm in college I spent about 90% of the day thinking about going to bed that night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Had too ****ty interview for my (lack of) coop. One was for a company in Dublin, night before I read up on their energy sector, went in and talked about their energy sector until I was stopped and asked what did I know about the stock market and I froze. Turns out they wanted business students and they didn't know why the coop office sent them 5 science and engineering students.

Next interview was for another company in Dublin that actually wanted me. Interview went great, I had all the skills they wanted and was the only student that was trained in a programme language they used. I was a shoe in until the final question. The interview was over and we where shaking hands and saying goodbye when one of the interviewers asked me to confirm when I was available for coop.
    I told them it was January to September and they just stopped. "We asked the coop office for students that where free from June to January, sorry for wasting your time".

Jester252 wrote: »
    Had too ****ty interview for my (lack of) coop. One was for a company in Dublin, night before I read up on their energy sector, went in and talked about their energy sector until I was stopped and asked what did I know about the stock market and I froze. Turns out they wanted business students and they didn't know why the coop office sent them 5 science and engineering students.

Next interview was for another company in Dublin that actually wanted me. Interview went great, I had all the skills they wanted and was the only student that was trained in a programme language they used. I was a shoe in until the final question. The interview was over and we where shaking hands and saying goodbye when one of the interviewers asked me to confirm when I was available for coop.
    I told them it was January to September and they just stopped. "We asked the coop office for students that where free from June to January, sorry for wasting your time".

F*ck man... that's awful. :mad:

I'll give the International Co-op guys lots of credit, they've been brilliant so far.

Jester252 wrote: »

That's strange that their looking for coop students from next June onwards. Alot of business between now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

That's strange that their looking for coop students from next June onwards. Alot of business between now and then.

Mine isn't until June and I've had it sorted out a couple of weeks ago already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Nearly everyone in my course had an interview in week 2, and we don't go on co-op until June. Others have theirs in January/February and are only getting interviews now. Its a bit mad ,to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement