Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

ricimaki wrote: »
    Nearly everyone in my course had an interview in week 2, and we don't go on co-op until June. Others have theirs in January/February and are only getting interviews now. Its a bit mad ,to be honest.
    Yup, were in January and haven't had any yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Jester252 wrote: »
    Had too ****ty interview for my (lack of) coop. One was for a company in Dublin, night before I read up on their energy sector, went in and talked about their energy sector until I was stopped and asked what did I know about the stock market and I froze. Turns out they wanted business students and they didn't know why the coop office sent them 5 science and engineering students.

Next interview was for another company in Dublin that actually wanted me. Interview went great, I had all the skills they wanted and was the only student that was trained in a programme language they used. I was a shoe in until the final question. The interview was over and we where shaking hands and saying goodbye when one of the interviewers asked me to confirm when I was available for coop.
    I told them it was January to September and they just stopped. "We asked the coop office for students that where free from June to January, sorry for wasting your time".

That's fcuking ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That's fcuking ridiculous.

That's the Coop office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Are people actually so ignorant they can't hear how loud their music is!? Turn it down for feck sake! This is the library not your room!

Are people actually so ignorant they can't hear how loud their music is!? Turn it down for feck sake! This is the library not your room!

They should be a law that allows people to slap fecker playing loud music in public. I don't want to hear you chiptoon remix of a Ke$ha song.

Set my alarm for the wrong day so now I've missed a tutorial and lecture. This day has not started well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Nothing says "Professional Academic Survey" more than smilies and a comic sans style font...

Good work guys! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Nothing says "Professional Academic Survey" more than smilies and a comic sans style font...

Good work guys! :P

And guilt tripping the students into filling it out.

Chavways wrote: »

One of our lecturers said the Unions were telling them to tell us not to fill it out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Chavways wrote: »
    It's kind of insane that they have to be guilt tripped. I mean it takes about 5 minutes to do all of them for five modules and the lecturers are obliged to act on the information immediately. That's absolutely brilliant, particularly given that some lecturers are absolutely ****ing chronic and shouldn't be in front of a group of students at all.

• Advertisement

Subutai wrote: »
    It's kind of insane that they have to be guilt tripped. I mean it takes about 5 minutes to do all of them for five modules and the lecturers are obliged to act on the information immediately. That's absolutely brilliant, particularly given that some lecturers are absolutely ****ing chronic and shouldn't be in front of a group of students at all.
    One of our modules wasn't on it though :(

Subutai wrote: »

It's an awful survey though. How can anyone accurately convey what they think about a module on a 5 point scale?

Are you happy with the facilities provided? What the f*ck does that even mean? We're in a classroom... I'd be happier if we had beanbags... do I give this 3 or 5? :P

The difficulty of the module: Satisfied/Dissatisfied

Does satisfied mean it's easy, challenging, hard? Does dissatisfied mean too easy or too hard?

How are lecturers supposed to act on the information if the information is so pointlessly vague?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Seems like a box ticking exercise, alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

It's an awful survey though. How can anyone accurately convey what they think about a module on a 5 point scale?

Are you happy with the facilities provided? What the f*ck does that even mean? We're in a classroom... I'd be happier if we had beanbags... do I give this 3 or 5? :P

The difficulty of the module: Satisfied/Dissatisfied

Does satisfied mean it's easy, challenging, hard? Does dissatisfied mean too easy or too hard?

How are lecturers supposed to act on the information if the information is so pointlessly vague?

It's a smoke test, you get general info and use that to gain further information on a qualitative basis if there is "smoke". For example the facilities question is aimed at practicals, the facilities for some of those can be ****, if a lot of students are dissatisfied then lecturers are supposed to talk with the class and find out more.

It being quick is supposed to gain a high sample size. I reckoned most of it was clear. The difficulty question just means what it says, if you like easy modules and it's easy then you'd be satisfied, if loads are dissatisfied then it's up to the college to find out why, but in order to do that they need to find out where the problems lie.

My shoulder is kill in me. God damn open dayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

The Open Days suck somewhat don't they?

Doing Krav Maga is great and all but my God trying to sleep after a two hour class is impossible, say I only got 4 hours sleep last night! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Living in Groody, bottom floor, room pretty much adjacent to metal stairs used to access upper floors.
    I swear some of the people go up them with the intention of putting their foot through the step with each step they take. No one is that heavy footed. It's noise for the sake of noise and it's really pissing me off, it sounds like there's someone at the top of the stairs just stomping in the same spot, unsure how many people live on the floors above my own but going by the noise you'd be thinking 20.
    Worse still, the living room of the upstairs apartment is directly above my bedroom, so any time they have a party, I'm up til it's over as again, every step they take causes my light shade to shake...
    I'm a very easygoing person, but this is 3/4 weeks of this now, started off alright but really starting to push it. On top of that there's the noise of people walking, shouting and screaming outside my window.
    One more bad case within next week or so and will be complaining. Get security to circulate place during prime hours, 10-12 and 2-3.
    Unfair on other students, it's a built up place, I've been woken quite a few times now by drunks who stay outside for another 30-40 minutes once their back before they go into their own places...
    Have come to accept there's nothing I can do about stairs, there's cnuts out there that just want to be heard, but security should be making sure there's no drunken screaming after the 12 O Clock point, blatant ignorance and selfishness, and being drunk is no excuse.
    Also cars coming in, driving around with music turned up beeping horn. We have a gate, keep it shut. Owners can rent keys to open gate and pedestrians can use side gate.
    Don't care about the odd shout, squeal or laughter, so long as it's brief and the company are going somewhere, either back into their house or out, don't care so long as it's out of my earshot. #Rant

Sorry but some people around here really do my head in, and you'd expect more out of college students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I couldn't endorse digs more now if I tried...
    At least there you know some of the houses are families and less likely to be up til 3 in the morning..
    Some twat walking up and down shouting Mariaa and other stuff in Spanish, then hammering on bonnet of his car, conveniently placed outside my window, shouting "this is my car" over and over ahead, hoping one of them would send the girl head over heels for him...
    I reiterate what I said previously, luckily this was over and done within 15 minutes, but it's the fact that it's becoming a constant thing that annoys me.
    Everything about the Groody is pretty spot on, except some of its residents, and despite being paying customers, I hope the management do something to put them back into their place..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Stink of somebody having his dinner in the post grad computer lab :(

Doing Krav Maga is great and all but my God trying to sleep after a two hour class is impossible, say I only got 4 hours sleep last night! :(
    Always walk past for Archery training and for the brief glance I get, I always catch ye doing the weirdest things...

Also, gah UPC! It's coming into week 7! Stop with the stupid excuses and me having to chase after you and give us damn internet :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Why am I surrounded by secondary school people in the library!! All giggly and whispering and passing notes!!

They don't take kindly to filthy looks either!!! No respect!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Bloody youngsters

sup_dude wrote: »
    Always walk past for Archery training and for the brief glance I get, I always catch ye doing the weirdest things...

Also, gah UPC! It's coming into week 7! Stop with the stupid excuses and me having to chase after you and give us damn internet :mad:
    Krav Maga is just a cover....:pac:
    Chris, I have discovered that just because some people have made it to university doesn't mean they have any common sense or decency not to be jackasses.............and sometimes they have no intelligence either!:P I mean, really, why isn't it legal to wallop these people with something very hard across the head? They're way better off!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

ANyone know the story with defferring the year? I have obviously already started this year but really have no motivation and my QCA is going to be terrible... I have a full time job at home aswell. i want to go back again next year and have a good go at third year again. I'm too far behind to catch up at this stage. What fees have to be paid next year if i decide to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

ANyone know the story with defferring the year? I have obviously already started this year but really have no motivation and my QCA is going to be terrible... I have a full time job at home aswell. i want to go back again next year and have a good go at third year again. I'm too far behind to catch up at this stage. What fees have to be paid next year if i decide to do this?

Go and ask paddy. I had to repeat a year and had to pay the full fees

Filled out that Finance Task thing... Apparently I owe €4,700... f*ck that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Anyone else's Sulis down?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Living in Groody, bottom floor, room pretty much adjacent to metal stairs used to access upper floors.
    I swear some of the people go up them with the intention of putting their foot through the step with each step they take. No one is that heavy footed. It's noise for the sake of noise and it's really pissing me off, it sounds like there's someone at the top of the stairs just stomping in the same spot, unsure how many people live on the floors above my own but going by the noise you'd be thinking 20.
    Worse still, the living room of the upstairs apartment is directly above my bedroom, so any time they have a party, I'm up til it's over as again, every step they take causes my light shade to shake...
    I'm a very easygoing person, but this is 3/4 weeks of this now, started off alright but really starting to push it. On top of that there's the noise of people walking, shouting and screaming outside my window.
    One more bad case within next week or so and will be complaining. Get security to circulate place during prime hours, 10-12 and 2-3.
    Unfair on other students, it's a built up place, I've been woken quite a few times now by drunks who stay outside for another 30-40 minutes once their back before they go into their own places...
    Have come to accept there's nothing I can do about stairs, there's cnuts out there that just want to be heard, but security should be making sure there's no drunken screaming after the 12 O Clock point, blatant ignorance and selfishness, and being drunk is no excuse.
    Also cars coming in, driving around with music turned up beeping horn. We have a gate, keep it shut. Owners can rent keys to open gate and pedestrians can use side gate.
    Don't care about the odd shout, squeal or laughter, so long as it's brief and the company are going somewhere, either back into their house or out, don't care so long as it's out of my earshot. #Rant

Sorry but some people around here really do my head in, and you'd expect more out of college students.

Living in Groody too and have the same problem, whats with the excessive amount of cars coming in pulling handbrakes around the estate.. THE DONT LIVE HERE! And last night there was a car with loud music and all the girls in it singing (screaming like a cat being strangled) the lyrics of a song, going round in circles around the block.

Absolutely sick of drunks sitting on my windowsill at 3am spending an hour having a row with their gf/bf etc.. Why cant security sort them out??? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It may be lovely outside but it's hard sitting by the window in the library trying to study when the sun is shining in, ugh I feel a headache coming on!:(
    Also what's up with Noonan security helping people to cross the road at the pedestrian crossings now? Seen it a couple times on the way home. Was it just that drivers weren't stopping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

what's up with Noonan security helping people to cross the road at the pedestrian crossings now? Seen it a couple times on the way home. Was it just that drivers weren't stopping?

They're there during the peak traffic times, particularly between 5pm and 6:30pm. They group pedestrians together to all cross at once so they don't bring the cars leaving campus to a total standstill by crossing in ones and twos without gaps. If you've ever tried to drive past the pedestrian crossing outside the Schuman building at five to until five past the hour during lecture times, you'll know how annoying it is

Jikashi wrote: »
    They're there during the peak traffic times, particularly between 5pm and 6:30pm. They group pedestrians together to all cross at once so they don't bring the cars leaving campus to a total standstill by crossing in ones and twos without gaps. If you've ever tried to drive past the pedestrian crossing outside the Schuman building at five to until five past the hour during lecture times, you'll know how annoying it is
    Oh I've seen that outside the Schuman building it seems to be like that all times of the day! And people are awlays coming across in small groups as well so it must be some pain for motorists!
    God I really don't understand some people, the guy next to me on this row was gone when I got here at 2 and still hasn't come back! Really don't people have any decency to just give up the desk for someone else?

Have I mentioned before that I loathe group projects? Because if I haven't, I do.

I know they're supposed to teach team work and sh*t, but really (and I know it's a cliche) the only thing they've taught me over the past 3 and a half years is that I despise people with every fibre of my being.

what-group-projects-are-supposed-to-teach-you-graph.jpg

Have I mentioned before that I loathe group projects? Because if I haven't, I do.

I know they're supposed to teach team work and sh*t, but really (and I know it's a cliche) the only thing they've taught me over the past 3 and a half years is that I despise people with every fibre of my being.

what-group-projects-are-supposed-to-teach-you-graph.jpg
    I've been very lucky that I haven't had bad experiences with group projects yet, but I will still always hate them.

I've been very lucky that I haven't had bad experiences with group projects yet, but I will still always hate them.

Off the top of my head I can think of 6 group projects. 2 went well. 2 went well despite one member of the group disappearing halfway through (different person both times). And 2 were/are the most horrific balls ups in the history of balls ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm lucky in that regard. Found a great partner last year, and we've just worked together on all projects - 3 last year, all A1s. 3 more this year. Hope to repeat the pattern!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I hate group projects too...

I've always done well in them, but I just find them painful. I hate going to places like the Kemmy or the library and trying to force myself to do work, for one thing. I like working at my own pace..... I also hate being told what to do, in those terms. But then, I also like to be able to see what other people have done and change that, which some people take badly.

They're just horrible things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

*snip*

If someone isn't pulling their weight in a group project, put it to them and the lecturer as early as possible. Was nearly robbed of a higher award when doing my undergrad cos 2 of the 5 of us in the group were doing work and the other 3 weren't and we ended up with a rubbish grade from the project, luckily the 2 of us were able to rescue it with a good exam.
    Faced the same situation as a post-grad and we dealt with it head on and got the lecturer involved early.

Don't give a flying **** if someone thinks you're a bastard/bitch for pulling them up on their slacking - it could mean the difference between a 2.1 and a First for someone and that could mean the difference between getting considered/interviewed for an internship/job/coop.

Just a question: does anyone know where one could buy multipurpose superglue around castletroy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

sup_dude wrote: »
    Just a question: does anyone know where one could buy multipurpose superglue around castletroy?

Chawkes or Superquinn should see you right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Anyone know if any of the labs are open today, need to do some printing

freyners wrote: »
    Anyone know if any of the labs are open today, need to do some printing

Library should be open til 6 no?

Library should be open til 6 no?

Was under the impression the print rooms were closed at weekends in the lib?

Wondering if anyone is having similar trouble: I'm trying to access my student email account but every time I am prompted to enter my password and username and press enter it redirects me to the login box. It doesn't say my password is incorrect or anything like that and I know its not. I accessed it earlier today so I'm wondering what is going on!:confused: Argh! And I need to email a lecturer!

Wondering if anyone is having similar trouble: I'm trying to access my student email account but every time I am prompted to enter my password and username and press enter it redirects me to the login box. It doesn't say my password is incorrect or anything like that and I know its not. I accessed it earlier today so I'm wondering what is going on!:confused: Argh! And I need to email a lecturer!
    Been an issue for many students for months now, if your on chrome try using IE, ITD haven't bothered there hole to try and fix it yet (or even inform students of a workaround if its outside of their control) so dont hold your breath. Microsoft outlook is also work a look

Yeah, I have the same issue when on campus. According to ITD it's a problem with my laptop. :rolleyes:

Use Internet Explorer and use ul\StudentID as your username. So ul\1234567 for example.

Not using Chrome, I use Firefox, but I'll try it with Internet Explorer thanks. :)
    New Argh: who new trying to sum up a presentation in 600 words would be so difficult, I can't sum it up in so few words!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

freyners wrote: »
    Was under the impression the print rooms were closed at weekends in the lib?

Not any more, printing now available at weekends

Yeah, I have the same issue when on campus. According to ITD it's a problem with my laptop. :rolleyes:

Use Internet Explorer and use ul\StudentID as your username. So ul\1234567 for example.

Mate of mine got the same fob off answer from them, I'd love to know how they are still hiding behind it when it quite obvious by now its affecting more than a few students with incompatible laptops.

Also, library 2 printer is out of ink/toner/whatever, printed off a 40 page article and not one thing printed. €2.80 of my print account gone and not enough to reprint on another printer. Unbelievably pissed off atm

• Advertisement

Halloween costume is not going well :(

Advertisement