Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

trying and failing to access cite it right, anyone else been having problems with it? this link http://www.ul.ie.proxy.lib.ul.ie/~library/pdf/citeitright.pdf is not working for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

trying and failing to access cite it right, anyone else been having problems with it? this link http://www.ul.ie.proxy.lib.ul.ie/~library/pdf/citeitright.pdf is not working for me

Its non accessible for a month i think, being updated, email went round recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

freyners wrote: »
    Its non accessible for a month i think, being updated, email went round recently

But nobody can access their email :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Love how we get an email about Bible distribution but not blood drives...

Makes sense. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Love how we get an email about Bible distribution but not blood drives...

Makes sense. :P
    Of all the stupid spam emails we have got in a long time, that one has annoyed me most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

As a UL graduate, may I ask why the Sports Bar closes so early nowadays? I was there with a friend yesterday and we were told just after 5 that they were shutting up shop.

I wouldn't mind that too much given that it was a bank holiday but I was there a few weeks ago too with the intention of watching a match there of a Tuesday night, only to see that they were closed at 7.

I had watched plenty of internationals and Champions League games there before, as well as going to night time table quizzes, so can anyone offer a reason as to this apparent Sports Bar curfew?

As a UL graduate, may I ask why the Sports Bar closes so early nowadays? I was there with a friend yesterday and we were told just after 5 that they were shutting up shop.

I wouldn't mind that too much given that it was a bank holiday but I was there a few weeks ago too with the intention of watching a match there of a Tuesday night, only to see that they were closed at 7.

I had watched plenty of internationals and Champions League games there before, as well as going to night time table quizzes, so can anyone offer a reason as to this apparent Sports Bar curfew?

Not enough traffic to justify the costs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Was kicked out of there once at HT of a Munster match!

Every time I've been there they close pretty much on the full-time whistle of a match. Remember being at a Man U CL game, fairly good crowd there, good craic to be had, full time whistle goes and the place was emptied in 2 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Wednesday night seems to be only night it opens late (C&S Night)
    In a nutshell, doesn't get the custom other nights to cover costs of staying open later, especially with Stables and Scholars as competition.
    Poker Soc are there every Wed night and we encourage members to get a drink or two to help them along. Supposed to shut 11 on Wed and anyone still left in game at that stage usually gets a drink out of courtesy, especially if it rolls on after that time.
    It's a nice place, friendly staff but come 10 O Clock when matches are finished, it gets very quiet, very fast...
    Hope it makes up for it during day time, food there is cheap enough too so could bring some nice custom in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

We had a night there on the bank holiday sunday thats had there every year for yonks.. 175 people.. 2 bar staff, no jager, no redbull, no red or white mixer, ran out of vodka, no wkd or smirn off ice etc..

Bar staff are not bar staff, they are day staff in the restaurant and the odd pint here and there. It took nearly half a hour to get a drink and you could clearly see they were not used to being busy.

Dont see why they stay going back when it was just as crap there last year.

I actually had my first college pint in there one of the nights of Orientation Week.

/looks back fondly on good times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

One of out group for our group project, that's due next week, has decided to drop out wahey..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I haven't been able to log into my e-mail for days, in any browser- Chrome, IE or Firefox.

It's always been dodgy, but came and went...it's kinda frustrating.

EDIT- Nevermind, I sorted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

God trying to find a locker that is free is just impossible! I've looked everywhere! Emailed SAA to see if they might be of assistance!:pac:

God trying to find a locker that is free is just impossible! I've looked everywhere! Emailed SAA to see if they might be of assistance!:pac:

I could swear there were some free ones on the way to the CO corridor... Or maybe I was hallucinating, was there for an interview so stress may have addled my brain. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I could swear there were some free ones on the way to the CO corridor... Or maybe I was hallucinating, was there for an interview so stress may have addled my brain. :P
    I presume you are talking about the main building (to think I'm in third year and can't tell!:o) Nope, looked there hopefully the SAA will find me some (I used the 'I travel in' speech so hopefully they will take pity! :pac:

So my dreams of doing co-op abroad come to a shattering end because "the position you interviewed for is no longer guaranteed to actually be there in January".

So basically, the only interview I did well in was for a job that doesn't exist now because the interviewer is leaving the company.

I'm not even pissed off. Just... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

To the people on the second floor by the literature books randomly playing Father Ted quotes and chatting really loudly - GO F**K YOURSELVES! Some of us are actually trying to be productive. It's just going to get worse and worse as we get closer to week 13, too :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Pretty sure that the locks from last year weren't cut off during summer (I know mine wasn't).

• Advertisement

Subutai wrote: »
    Pretty sure that the locks from last year weren't cut off during summer (I know mine wasn't).
    That's what I was thinking. Sure my brother did the same thing before he let forgot to take his off. All of them seem to have locks but I can't imagine they're all being used.
    Anyway this is the reply I got from SAA. I was quite irritated when I got it but then maybe I thought I was overreacting. Was I?:

''We would assume if there is a lock on the locker than it is being used. We do not allocate lockers to students.''

Then who does allocate them? Surely they must have a system to check who has taken a locker? They didn't even attempt to let me know how other students manage to get lockers. I know it's late in the semester to be asking for one but still, I'd expect a slightly more helpful reply then that, or am I being unreasonable? Feel free to berate me if I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

That's what I was thinking. Sure my brother did the same thing before he let forgot to take his off. All of them seem to have locks but I can't imagine they're all being used.
    Anyway this is the reply I got from SAA. I was quite irritated when I got it but then maybe I thought I was overreacting. Was I?:

''We would assume if there is a lock on the locker than it is being used. We do not allocate lockers to students.''

Then who does allocate them? Surely they must have a system to check who has taken a locker? They didn't even attempt to let me know how other students manage to get lockers. I know it's late in the semester to be asking for one but still, I'd expect a slightly more helpful reply then that, or am I being unreasonable? Feel free to berate me if I am!

Schrödinger building has free lockers location mightn't suit tho outside the food labs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Six years in UL between my degree and masters and I never needed use for a locker, knew anyone who had one or needed one, saw a single person using one, or saw any information on acquiring one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

loads of free lockers in Health Sciences Building and Kemmy Building

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Jikashi wrote: »
    Six years in UL between my degree and masters and I never needed use for a locker, knew anyone who had one or needed one, saw a single person using one, or saw any information on acquiring one.

I have been in UL for 4 years and have used a locker every year for lab coats and PPE stuff and the enormous telephone directories of science books we were required to have !

Jikashi wrote: »
    Well I travel in everyday so it nice to have somewhere to dump my English books and history books when I don't need them so I don't have to be lugging them about or lugging my gear bag around from 8 0'clock in the morning until seven at night for Krav Maga. And if no one is using them, why are they all taken!?

I only have two lockable presses.

Most lockers are never checked.

Bull****, SAA do allocate lockers to students, it's one of their functions.
    The Student Academic Administration office will assist you with any queries you may have with regard to
    items in this handbook or in UL’s Handbook of Academic Regulations and Procedures, which includes
    marks & standards and code of conduct. The office will also assist you in all matters relating to:
    • Class timetables
    • Registration/pre-registration
    • Grants and scholarships
    • Examination timetables
    • Grades and transcripts
    • Student status committees
    • Graduation
    • Room bookings
    • Student ID card renewal/replacement
    • Locker issuing
    • Stamping of social welfare/pension forms etc.
    • Issuing official letters confirming your status as a student

Awesome that they're not bothering their arse anymore with it, but they should. They should also have removed the locks from the lockers over the summer, as they're supposed to.

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/794812357.pdf

Oh I'm so tempted to email them back with that in the message! Might just do that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Where did everyone in the library come from?! :eek: Not a seat spare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

I'd presume 50% of them are just waiting for the other 50% to get up and go to the toilet so they can steal their pencil / laptop .

I'd presume 50% of them are just waiting for the other 50% to get up and go to the toilet so they can steal their pencil / laptop .

Given that comment and given your thread, is it safe to assume that you recently had something stolen?
    I go to the library a lot and have never had anything stolen when going to the bathroom or shop.

well you're obviously one of the thieves so.

it's kinda hard to catch them though. when you get your pint robbed in the lodge/icon the first thing you do is set up a honey pot trap with a pint of urine laced with blackcurrant and sit and wait for the offender to emerge.

Ah yes the good old eye for an eye. That always works out.

it's kinda hard to catch them though. when you get your pint robbed in the lodge/icon the first thing you do is set up a honey pot trap with a pint of urine laced with blackcurrant and sit and wait for the offender to emerge.

Good job Sherlock, you got me :rolleyes:

That sounds delightful

• Advertisement

actually I used the auld greek trick. I had a hannah montana pony pencil case, and i put it on a desk and i made a stake out in the traveller library collection room and saw some small skinny girl walk by and inspect it, but she didn't take it must have a 6th sense.

What was the bunch of plants outside the main building today about? Something about a money tree?

What was the bunch of plants outside the main building today about? Something about a money tree?

It was a 24 go conquer promotion. Follow the liner path to the center where there was a tree with money/ 24 go conquer sims (not to sure) on it. What I found funny was the orderly queue surely if you had to conquer the maze one should have cut holes in the hedges. Never heard of anything being conquered peacefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Haven't started my accounting case study yet :/ How long should it take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Subutai wrote: »
    Bull****, SAA do allocate lockers to students, it's one of their functions.

Awesome that they're not bothering their arse anymore with it, but they should. They should also have removed the locks from the lockers over the summer, as they're supposed to.

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/794812357.pdf

I called to SAA about getting a locker in a certain area over the summer and was told that over the summer all lockers would be cut, I then had to pay again for my locker not to be cut which was in a different area. At the end of the summer, I called to SAA again about it as I wanted to get one of the lockers before the crowd returned and was told I couldnt get one if it there were none free.

I was then told if I wanted further explanation I would need to call security as they look after lock cutting???, Anyway I called them and was basically told, If a locker has a lock on it, by some law to do with private property they are unable to cut any locks on any locker ever!!!, He did say I could find one I wanted, watch and see if its not being used and then leave a note saying something along the lines of "hello i have paid for this locker and you need to remove your contents" and if no one come to it after 2-3 weeks they can cut the lock.

So basically its a load of horse****, and somewhere along the line someone in some office has forgotten to remind people at the end of an academic year that if they do not empty their locker or pay to hold onto it, it will be cut and emptied.

• Advertisement

DJW11 wrote: »
    by some law to do with private property they are unable to cut any locks on any locker ever!!

Storage Wars would be a much more boring show if this law existed... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Haven't started my accounting case study yet :/ How long should it take?

Ages. It's horrible. Do it. Now! There was way more work than I originally thought. Why are you still reading? Do it!

Anyway I called them and was basically told, If a locker has a lock on it, by some law to do with private property they are unable to cut any locks on any locker ever!!!, He did say I could find one I wanted, watch and see if its not being used and then leave a note saying something along the lines of "hello i have paid for this locker and you need to remove your contents" and if no one come to it after 2-3 weeks they can cut the lock.

Well that seems reasonable. You give the person using the locker 2 week notice before you take it.
    To advance on what wnolan said UL should do a storage wars type of auction at the start of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ages. It's horrible. Do it. Now! There was way more work than I originally thought. Why are you still reading? Do it!

Ah i see, i better get a move on so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Is two weeks enough time to do it?? Please say it is??? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheRingslayer

I called to SAA about getting a locker in a certain area over the summer and was told that over the summer all lockers would be cut, I then had to pay again for my locker not to be cut which was in a different area. At the end of the summer, I called to SAA again about it as I wanted to get one of the lockers before the crowd returned and was told I couldnt get one if it there were none free.

I was then told if I wanted further explanation I would need to call security as they look after lock cutting???, Anyway I called them and was basically told, If a locker has a lock on it, by some law to do with private property they are unable to cut any locks on any locker ever!!!, He did say I could find one I wanted, watch and see if its not being used and then leave a note saying something along the lines of "hello i have paid for this locker and you need to remove your contents" and if no one come to it after 2-3 weeks they can cut the lock.

So basically its a load of horse****, and somewhere along the line someone in some office has forgotten to remind people at the end of an academic year that if they do not empty their locker or pay to hold onto it, it will be cut and emptied.

just take a locker, slap a lock on it, and don't bother your arse giving the two quid to saa. I've had multiple lockers via this method, never had any trouble.

Absolute nonsense. This is the responsibility of SAA and they're ignoring it completely. The result is that there are heaps of lockers that can't be used by people who need them but are sitting idle with locks on them belonging to students who may have graduated years ago.

The idea that there is a law preventing them from cutting a padlock from a locker that is the private property of UL and given to students for their usage under the explicit condition that UL has the right to cut off locks at the end of the academic year is ludicrous. That's not how private property works, if this were the case I'd just start wandering around the place throwing padlocks on stuff I like (dibs on Plassey House); leave a note there and I'll vacate it in 2-3 weeks I suppose.

This is surely the kind of basic **** that Emma Porter should be able to sort out in a matter of minutes, the responsibility is clearly laid out in the Academic Handbook; either do the job or give it to someone in the university who will. The current situation is wasteful and silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheRingslayer

Christ mate, you sound like a right barrel of laughs. Take a chill pill. It's only a pint. Sure that happened me before and I just nicked someone else's pint, and then nicked a second one for good measure. swings and roundabouts. you sound like the kind of lad who would nick books from the library to balance out having to pay a fine for returning books late.

Christ mate, you sound like a right barrel of laughs. Take a chill pill. It's only a pint. Sure that happened me before and I just nicked someone else's pint, and then nicked a second one for good measure. swings and roundabouts. you sound like the kind of lad who would nick books from the library to balance out having to pay a fine for returning books late.

bring your books downstairs and out into the secret garden of the library then jsut toss them over the wall to your mate. easy to steal bukes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Pai Mei wrote: »
    Is two weeks enough time to do it?? Please say it is??? :(

I would say so.

If you did accounting for the Leaving Cert, I'd say that's a big advantage. If you're able to give yourself a day with about 4 hours straight and do it, you'll get on a bit of a roll and go through it.

Once you start it, you'll get an idea of how long it'll take to finish it, I'd advise doing it the week before it's due though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement