Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I would say so.

If you did accounting for the Leaving Cert, I'd say that's a big advantage. If you're able to give yourself a day with about 4 hours straight and do it, you'll get on a bit of a roll and go through it.

Once you start it, you'll get an idea of how long it'll take to finish it, I'd advise doing it the week before it's due though.

I'd say you're right. I hadn't done accounting before so I was clueless and it took me ages. The Excel bit was grand. VLOOKUP is your friend. VLOOKUPs everywhere! They're a real timesaver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Love when you're in the library and the person behind you likes to get up every so often and throw their chair back into yours.
    I can see you, you're not a particularly large person, you don't even need half that space to get up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Jesus but the guy across the way from me is typing awful hard on his keyboard, so loud!! He must be in some hurry to get an essay done, he'll break the keyboard if he's not careful. Glad I'm leaving the library in the next few minutes or I might just kill him! :pac:
    Also, winter brings with it the snifflers and coughers that drive me spare! I hate you all and have no pity for you. Keep your germs away from me! :pac: (as I never get sick, my immune system is something else I tells ya!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ESSAYS ARE DULL!

Christ, I don't know how Arts and Humanities students do this sh*t.

Gratuitous amounts of diagrams and pictures FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Fcuk off with your stupid module survey pop up link!!!!!

Ssshhh laptop be quiet! God it is so warm where I'm sitting in the library right down with the sun just blasting through the window! Why don't they have blinds on the windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

3 desks in the library taken by people who put down books and stuff this morning at 8 and haven't been back in the last 6 hours.

That's just taking the piss. Would be nice if library staff would just clear desks altogether after an hour and a half (surely a generous enough amount of time to nip to a lecture or have lunch). In other universities you leave your stuff unattended like that and it'll be confiscated after half an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Subutai wrote: »
    3 desks in the library taken by people who put down books and stuff this morning at 8 and haven't been back in the last 6 hours.

That's just taking the piss. Would be nice if library staff would just clear desks altogether after an hour and a half (surely a generous enough amount of time to nip to a lecture or have lunch). In other universities you leave your stuff unattended like that and it'll be confiscated after half an hour.

Ya it really is a joke at this stage. You'd wonder what they'd be doing for 6 hours. I know of a few computer labs that are pretty quiet but they are such a trek from everything else that they are just a pain in the arse to get to.

Chavways wrote: »
    Ya it really is a joke at this stage. You'd wonder what they'd be doing for 6 hours. I know of a few computer labs that are pretty quiet but they are such a trek from everything else that they are just a pain in the arse to get to.

Gone back to bed I'd say. Desk secured, won't appear back till the evening, **** anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Their are having lunch, coffee, tea, watching home and away, general hanging out with friends and posting FB status on how they where in the library at 8 doing so much work.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Their are having lunch, coffee, tea, watching home and away, general hanging out with friends and posting FB status on how they where in the library at 8 doing so much work.

Will appear in the library again around 6pm with bags of haribo, spend about an hour talking, another hour watching YouTube (loudly) and posting on Facebook about how stressful exams are, then leave before 9 to do it all again tomorrow.

I don't really care about that though, I just wish Noonan would enforce the seating policy just a little bit. If people can get away with it then they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Disappointed about lib times only extended til 12,
    Usually do lateish shift, coming in 4/5 then stay til around closing time,
    Still a decent amount of study but like a little more..
    Can't hack getting up early in morning only for there to be no seats :S
    How hard would you say it would be to get either a seat or computer in library at about 2/3?
    Waiting time like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Disappointed about lib times only extended til 12,
    Usually do lateish shift, coming in 4/5 then stay til around closing time,
    Still a decent amount of study but like a little more..
    Can't hack getting up early in morning only for there to be no seats :S
    How hard would you say it would be to get either a seat or computer in library at about 2/3?
    Waiting time like?

This week you'll probably get a seat in afternoon with xmas daze being on. But for future weeks not a hope :(

If your will to pay me I'll let you study at my desk

I've a desk where I live, it's the library and it's contents I'd be paying for.
    Couldn't pay for one when I see empty ones around me, would just sit at one of them til they return then move accordingly, jump from seat to seat, have a few awkward conversations but free :)

• Advertisement

That really annoys me when people do that! I'd feel so guilty! I left mine for an hour once to go to a tutorial because I knew well I wouldn't be able to get a seat and I was going to be in University until seven as I travel in and was going to training at seven. Worried the whole time in the tutorial about my stuff, worried it might be taken or something.

At least being in the library when it's full keeps me of FB as I feel that people looking for seats see me on it and think it's all I've been doing all day! I wonder is it just difficult for security to note how long every empty desk has been empty and that's why they don't enforce it? I remember last Christmas they had the notes warning people that their stuff would be moved after 20 mins but I never saw it happen.

Used to love the library early in the morning so quiet, now of going in there being wedged in somwhere with the sun melting me makes me avoid it at all costs! Home is no better though my mum minds children so it is a zoo there too! Also where is my Christmas tree!?

That really annoys me when people do that! I'd feel so guilty! I left mine for an hour once to go to a tutorial because I knew well I wouldn't be able to get a seat and I was going to be in University until seven as I travel in and was going to training at seven. Worried the whole time in the tutorial about my stuff, worried it might be taken or something.

At least being in the library when it's full keeps me of FB as I feel that people looking for seats see me on it and think it's all I've been doing all day! I wonder is it just difficult for security to note how long every empty desk has been empty and that's why they don't enforce it? I remember last Christmas they had the notes warning people that their stuff would be moved after 20 mins but I never saw it happen.

Used to love the library early in the morning so quiet, now of going in there being wedged in somwhere with the sun melting me makes me avoid it at all costs! Home is no better though my mum minds children so it is a zoo there too! Also where is my Christmas tree!?
    It's not difficult at all, they're just lazy. All you have to do is put down a note with a time on it on any empty desk (you could even colour code them for your convenience) and after an hour if the note isn't gone or the person isn't back then their stuff gets removed.

Library security would actually have to do something useful then though, instead of pointlessly wondering around.

Exactly what I do when I'm at computer in library and I'm getting a book or coffee, leave note with time left and expected time of return..
    Go into power saver mode pretty fast and don't want to lose seat, never gone over 15 mins, lib pcs always in demand...

+1 Xmas tree :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I've been in the library since 8.30 this morning a quick look around at the adjecent decks and 5 out of 10 with stuff on it have not been used in the last two hours I know it's not too busy now but it really is a joke. Also was walking out to get a coffee and the beeper went off when 3 girls went through and security did not even look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Maybe they weren't hot.

• Advertisement

Agent_99 wrote: »
    I've been in the library since 8.30 this morning a quick look around at the adjecent decks and 5 out of 10 with stuff on it have not been used in the last two hours I know it's not too busy now but it really is a joke. Also was walking out to get a coffee and the beeper went off when 3 girls went through and security did not even look

free books!

On an unrelated note, I'll be selling half price used law books outside the library from noon...

I live in Dromroe. I'll let anyone who wants to study in my kitchen for a nominal fee... Desk in my room comes at a higher price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

YFlyer wrote: »
    Maybe they weren't hot.

Maybe they were but they all look to same to me, since I have no interest.
    I am just an happily married old fogie and female 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

does anyone have an idea what date the thesis results for post grads come out i've been told that its sometime in december what cant find more details then that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Does anyone know when you get the results of the exams?? Is it in January or when you come back?? Also do they email them to you or post out a letter or what?? Yes I am a first year noob :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Pai Mei wrote: »
    Does anyone know when you get the results of the exams?? Is it in January or when you come back?? Also do they email them to you or post out a letter or what?? Yes I am a first year noob :P

Results are posted online. I think it's around the middle of January

Pai Mei wrote: »

They were released online on the 24th of January last year as far as I remember.

Being released on the 23rd: http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Academic_Calendar/2013_-_14_Academic_Calendar

You can check them through your student portal or at results.ul.ie. I think you get an email if you fail anything, but I'm a little iffy on that since they only brought in emails for that last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Maybe they were but they all look to same to me, since I have no interest.
    I am just an happily married old fogie and female 😜

I was on about the security :D

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I live in Dromroe. I'll let anyone who wants to study in my kitchen for a nominal fee... Desk in my room comes at a higher price...

Christ is there anything you won't rent out! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Christ is there anything you won't rent out! :P

Pay him enough and there's nothing he won't sell, nevermind rent :P

Still paying off the down payment for the blackout blind he installed so we had a place to sleep when we can't (be bothered to) go home :P
    Money talks ;)

I have more sales than Harvey Norman...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

scheister wrote: »
    does anyone have an idea what date the thesis results for post grads come out i've been told that its sometime in december what cant find more details then that

December 11th at 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Does anyone know what happens when you don't get any coop placement? I was supposed to go in January, doesn't look very likely now though!

Alternative coop program. Take either 3 crappy modules or take 2 crappy modules and write a report on a summer job.

Wish they'd almost just put the city bus up to 2 euro instead of this 1.90 lark, so fiddly all the ten cents I will have!!:pac:
    I know this is the hate thread but I couldn't find the happy days thread (we're all so bitter here :pac:) but the Christmas Tree in the library has arrived looking as lovely and cosy as usual, really cheered me up today!
    Couldn't believe how busy the library was today! It was half full at 8 - could see people heading off out of the library to get breakfast - and by half 8 in was packed!:eek: It was mentioned on spotted in UL and one guy wrote ''I was there at half 8 before it was cool'':pac: Had to like that - respect! All these fakers in the library! They don't know the library like we do!! :cool:

babynice wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happens when you don't get any coop placement? I was supposed to go in January, doesn't look very likely now though!

Don't lose hope just yet. We were told Friday that December is usually a fairly busy month, and they'll keep setting up interviews into January.

Wish they'd almost just put the city bus up to 2 euro instead of this 1.90 lark, so fiddly all the ten cents I will have!!:pac:
    I know this is the hate thread but I couldn't find the happy days thread (we're all so bitter here :pac:) but the Christmas Tree in the library has arrived looking as lovely and cosy as usual, really cheered me up today!
    Couldn't believe how busy the library was today! It was half full at 8 - could see people heading off out of the library to get breakfast - and by half 8 in was packed!:eek: It was mentioned on spotted in UL and one guy wrote ''I was there at half 8 before it was cool'':pac: Had to like that - respect! All these fakers in the library! They don't know the library like we do!! :cool:

There's some 6th year students in there as well taking seats. The amount of dirty looks they must be getting..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

There's some 6th year students in there as well taking seats. The amount of dirty looks they must be getting..

Seriously? I'd be telling them to take a hop if I was looking for a seat! It's not a public library, and security should be checking for them. Sure, I had to leave for 30 minutes to go to a project interview, and someone had taken my desk and pushed my stuff aside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I'd have absolutely no problem asking a 6th year for their UL ID and when not able to produce, tell them to leave as this is a private building. If the y don't leave then phone security and get them to get rid of them.

Unfortunate for the leaving certs that they choose a study location that's risky for being moved on, but that's the risk that they take when they abuse facilities not assigned to them, at the expense of paying third level students.

The Pandora Bracelet has been claimed. So sorry for the students who lost theirs and had no luck finding it

This email seemed to have a sarcastic tone to it. Sounds like lots of people turned up trying to claim the €1000 bracelet from reception chancing their arm.

garv123 wrote: »
    This email seemed to have a sarcastic tone to it. Sounds like lots of people turned up trying to claim the €1000 bracelet from reception changing their arm.

Changing your arm is key with stuff like that, otherwise you've only got one shot to make the bracelet fit.

Subutai wrote: »
    Changing your arm is key with stuff like that, otherwise you've only got one shot to make the bracelet fit.

whoops.. shhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Security are actually checking student cards going into the library today! And it was open before 8 too. About time really, especially with all the pushing and shoving that have been going on the last few mornings. Yesterdays stampede was just ridiculous. You'd swear we were barbarians or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

iLaura wrote: »
    Security are actually checking student cards going into the library today! And it was open before 8 too. About time really, especially with all the pushing and shoving that have been going on the last few mornings. Yesterdays stampede was just ridiculous. You'd swear we were barbarians or something.

It was great. I arrived in at 8.05 and there were loads of seats. Hopefully they do that in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It was great. I arrived in at 8.05 and there were loads of seats. Hopefully they do that in future.

There's still about 5 seats free near me at this time! Did something happen last night or something?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I think one of the main reasons there's loads of seats free is because there's a good few people with sore heads today :P I wouldn't particularly fancy the library at 8 with a hangover and a few hours of sleep.

chrislad wrote: »
    There's still about 5 seats free near me at this time! Did something happen last night or something?!

People taking a long weekend?

Glad to see them checking cards yesterday, good stuff. Don't see why they don't just install a card scanner and be done with it though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Have my first exam tomorrow that I'm screwed for. Water heater broke in the house yesterday so no hot water - village manager siad it was fixed today but still no hot water so now it will be Monday before they call someone out again! Could it get any worse??

• Advertisement
Advertisement