Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Subutai wrote: »
    People taking a long weekend?

Glad to see them checking cards yesterday, good stuff. Don't see why they don't just install a card scanner and be done with it though?

i suggested this last year for the post grad room put in a scanner at the door so only post grads can use the room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Subutai wrote: »
    People taking a long weekend?

Glad to see them checking cards yesterday, good stuff. Don't see why they don't just install a card scanner and be done with it though?

Apparently they were meant to a year or two ago when they installed all the glass and relocated the service desks, but apparently it involved closing the plaza cafe because they wanted to knock walls and completely reconfigure the entrance, as opposed to just installing a turnstile at the current door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Apparently they were meant to a year or two ago when they installed all the glass and relocated the service desks, but apparently it involved closing the plaza cafe because they wanted to knock walls and completely reconfigure the entrance, as opposed to just installing a turnstile at the current door

Why do the simple, cheap and most workable option when you have the option to spend even more money on things that are not needed (when half the lecture rooms on campus need upgrading anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ulwireless is desperate today... can't even download my notes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Does SAA have a phone to contact them on?? I can't find a number for the office and it's urgent :(

Pai Mei wrote: »
    Does SAA have a phone to contact them on?? I can't find a number for the office and it's urgent :(

Wont be open till monday i reckon,

number in the link below
    http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Student_Academic_Administration/Staff_and_Useful_Links

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Would they not be open today to deal with people who've forgotten/lost student cards?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Would they not be open today to deal with people who've forgotten/lost student cards?

derp, course they will, my bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Yeah it was open today, had to drive the whole way back to Limerick after leaving there yesterday just to get a form signed and stamped :( Utterly wrecked :o

Not too impressed with bus eireann and their lack of 10c coins. Been on the bus a few times the last week and every time, they've ran out of 10c coins and left people paying €2. I know it's only 10c and fair enough if it happened once but they don't seem to ever have enough. Surely, with charging an awkward price, they'd have been prepared :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

The annual 10c hike and when I wait for change they seem annoyed that I'm unaware of their shortage. Bast@rds... Then when I hand them 4 euro for the day saver, they'll wait hours for me to dig out the 10c...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

^^ I'm going to get him with this soon
    third_way.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There are some filthy scumbags in lab A1084!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

serious bitch i have about UL

I did a masters last year but while there did an extra subject that i needed for exemptions. was informed by a lecturer (not class but someone i was sent to re exemptions) that it would not affect my QCA was counted in my xmas results went back to the lecturer confirmed again it wud not count for my masters. thesis result come out and the extra subject was counted leaving my on 2.93 QCA. went back and said i was told otherwise to be told i was misinformed tough luck. So i miss out on my 2:1 by .02 of a QCA

scheister wrote: »

I did a masters last year but while there did an extra subject that i needed for exemptions. was informed by a lecturer (not class but someone i was sent to re exemptions) that it would not affect my QCA was counted in my xmas results went back to the lecturer confirmed again it wud not count for my masters. thesis result come out and the extra subject was counted leaving my on 2.93 QCA. went back and said i was told otherwise to be told i was misinformed tough luck. So i miss out on my 2:1 by .02 of a QCA

Is there an external examiner that comes on campus that you may get called in for an interview? if so, you could get promoted to a higher grade if called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

scheister wrote: »

Sounds like you picked the wrong registration type - pass/fail registrations don't affect QCA but normal registrations do AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

UL spam is in full swing again

Stuxnet wrote: »
    UL spam is in full swing again

Fear not you won't get any spam after lunch.

Agh! I forgot what the email about the outage said, will emails be back up before Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

IIRC the email said that the system will be down for the weekend.

Jester252 wrote: »
    IIRC the email said that the system will be down for the weekend.

Bollox.

My own fault for not checking it last night I guess. :\

With reference to the email sent on Fri 3-Jan this is areminder that there is a scheduled full IT Shutdown this Fri 10-Jan from 1pm.The shutdown is necessary to allow installation and configuration of newUninterruptable Power Supplies (UPS) in the main Computer Room. These new UPS’swill replace older and ageing UPS’s and will ensure a more reliable temporarypower replacement in the event of any future loss of mains electrical powerthus minimising the future risk of disruption to core IT Services.

The work on Friday additionally will pave the way for futureenhancements that will include the installation of independent backup generatorsto power our key IT systems. Once installed these generators will allow partsof our IT operations to continue in the absence of Mains electrical powersupply and will allow for automated and orderly safe shutdown of key IT systemsto ensure the protection and integrity of critical institutional data in theevent of complete power failure on Campus.

Shutdown details

The IT Shutdown will commence at 1pm this Fri10-Jan.

After 1 PM the following will bepossible:

- Staff will be able to log on to their PC andwork on files stored locally on their hard drive

- Internet access will be available and this willallow access to external internet sites including some library services

NB: All other IT services and applications includingemail (including smartphone email) may be inaccessible until start ofbusiness on Monday 10-Jan

Restoration of Services

Once the UPS have been installed and configured ITD staffwill be working throughout Friday evening and the week-end to restore services.Restoration of Email services will be the first priority and it is hoped thatemail will be back by midnight on Friday night.

Critical applications such as CORE, Agresso, SI andSharePoint will be gradually restored over the weekend and will be operationalby start of business onMonday 10-Jan

All other Applications will also be available by start ofbusinessMonday morning or shortly after.

ITD recognise the inconvenience that this Shutdown willcause our customers but it is a necessary infrastructural upgrade that will paydividends in the future through fewer issues and outages. In selecting thisweek-end we have opted for what is one of the least disruptive dates we couldchose it being an out of term week-end.

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers for that.

Here's hoping email gets back a bit sooner. Need to get a job spec out of it that was sent yesterday which I should have checked before today.

I'll also be setting up the redirect I've been saying I'll do for about six months. :pac:

YFlyer wrote: »
    Once the UPS have been installed and configured ITD staffwill be working throughout Friday evening and the week-end to restore services.Restoration of Email services will be the first priority and it is hoped thatemail will be back by midnight on Friday night.

All other Applications will also be available by start ofbusinessMonday morning or shortly after.

So... expect some people to have it back next month and the whole college back some time at the end of the semester...

Cheers for that.

Here's hoping email gets back a bit sooner. Need to get a job spec out of it that was sent yesterday which I should have checked before today.

I'll also be setting up the redirect I've been saying I'll do for about six months. :pac:

I'm able to access my microsoft outlook.

• Advertisement

I'm able to access my microsoft outlook.

I can get into Outlook (which is odd because that never worked before...) but not my studentmail. outlook.com/studentmail.ul.ie doesn't load at all for me.

I can get into Outlook (which is odd because that never worked before...) but not my studentmail. outlook.com/studentmail.ul.ie doesn't load at all for me.

Ah ok. Can you get access to that email to get the job specs?

Ah ok. Can you get access to that email to get the job specs?

Nope. Sh*t out of luck I'd say, just gotta hope it's back by Sunday night or I'll be going in with very little idea of what I'm actually interviewing for. :pac:

Just bad timing really, checked the email on Wednesday, knew the outage was happening but didn't remember to check it last night or this morning. Shur what can ya do? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I haven't checked my emails since I finished my Christmas exams!!:pac: Uh oh!!

I haven't checked my emails since I finished my Christmas exams!!:pac: Uh oh!!

You have spam, lots and lots of spam:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yup, the amount of crap over the last few days is immense. Ridiculous amount of crap.

Email's back up.

<3 ITD <3

Are the co-op office trying to give me heart failure?:pac: Telling me I hadn't sent in my co-op report just as the email system starts up again? Thankfully, they sent me an email this morning to tell me the message was sent in error! Thank God, I still held on to my receipt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Are the co-op office trying to give me heart failure?:pac: Telling me I hadn't sent in my co-op report just as the email system starts up again? Thankfully, they sent me an email this morning to tell me the message was sent in error! Thank God, I still held on to my receipt!

Got one too!

I'm so scared of having to start my FYP! :( I'm doing history and English? Anyone here did it in those subjects? How did you come up with a question/topic to do it on? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd be more scared of not finishing it than starting it!

I was in the same boat but I'm after spending the last week or so doing solid work so feeling a little bit less stressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

How does anyone start their dissertation, 15,000 words! Google this, google that and then hope for the best???

Sooner I get going on this, less time have to spend here during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Haven't been able to access my e-mail since I deferred college for a year... surely they haven't cut me off like that.. it is saying that my e-mail/password is incorrect

Have they broken the emails again?

sup_dude wrote: »
    Have they broken the emails again?

the word again implies they were ever fixed.

They weren't

UL ITD, same ****e, every year

Also best of luck to all receiving results tomorrow. Due to a quirk in the results process I've had mine since monday but becoming highly doubtful they were the real ones :/

• Advertisement

LOLITD

Why do people have their dinner in the PC lab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I swear i run at 13km/h in gym on treadmill and about 300 km/h across the living bridge at night, some lad was on one of the islands below with a phone and when i looked down he looked up and turned off the backlight on his phone, creep

Why do people have their dinner in the PC lab?

I admit I'm guilty of eating my lunch in the library but that's for 2 reasons: 1) I bring in my own lunch and there seriously no other place to go besides Red Raisin where you can eat food you brought from home and 2) because I'm reluntant to give up my seat! :P
    It's really a shame that there are not better areas to go eat your own lunch. Tbh, I feel that all the cafes and restaurants (maybe besides Eden) have pretty substandard food, where chips seem to be the only side dish for meals.

Undergrads

I admit I'm guilty of eating my lunch in the library but that's for 2 reasons: 1) I bring in my own lunch and there seriously no other place to go besides Red Raisin where you can eat food you brought from home and 2) because I'm reluntant to give up my seat! :P
    It's really a shame that there are not better areas to go eat your own lunch. Tbh, I feel that all the cafes and restaurants (maybe besides Eden) have pretty substandard food, where chips seem to be the only side dish for meals.

You're more than invited to call up to the Post Grad Room by the Stables Court Yard :) Free tea and coffee available.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I swear i run at 13km/h in gym on treadmill and about 300 km/h across the living bridge at night, some lad was on one of the islands below with a phone and when i looked down he looked up and turned off the backlight on his phone, creep

Hope there was nobody missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Eden is gone to complete crap, The scholars or paddocks are 100 times better.

Paddocks lasagne has gone to crap too, there's more onions in it than pasta and more peas than meat... their curry however, mmmmhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Only ever eat at library cafe because of convenience. It would seem I need to branch out. Am a fan of their lasagne and soup though, and their coffee keeps me going :)

Advertisement