Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I find the Stables nice nearly all the time. Fairly inexpensive, and always fresh for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

If you what a meal, Scholars is the place to go. The amount and quality of the food per euro blows the rest out of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Oh, the SAA are so funny. I went to th m to enquire about getting a locker. They say oh yeah no bother here's a form for you to fill out and give back to us along with 2 euro for, as the form states ''to cover maintenance and administration costs.'' Oh you guys! Also, I must search for a free locker too, which meant me heading over to the Kemmy business school, completely out of my way, as every locker in the main building was taken.

Worse still, the lockers in the Kemmy school are tiny, lockers in the main building are so much bigger. I wonder what the point of even filling out the form actually is? I asked what the policy was for empty lockers that still had locks on them and she told me I'd have to go to a 'porter' (is that right) to get it taken off, but I could only do that if I knew it was empty.

Love how it says on the form too ''All padlocks shall be removed by 31 May following the issuing of the locker. Padlocks not removed by then shall be removed by university personal for maintenance and re-issue of locker''. You guys crack me up.

''Buy a padlock of the recommend type only, for use on the locker. These are available in the Student Union shop.'' Funny, funny stuff. *Screams and rips hair out* Really contemplating not filling this form out at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Don't!
    As soon as you put your stuff in a locker and lock it, it's safe!
    I might do it for the sake, never know when I might need one, and in Kemmy and Schummer quite a bit :)
    Forget form, pick up a lock and throw it on a locker, that's what everyone else has done..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's amusing that you've to go looking for one yourself...

I'd put money on it that most 1st/2nd year CSIS students could make a nifty little system for that...

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It's amusing that you've to go looking for one yourself...

I'd put money on it that most 1st/2nd year CSIS students could make a nifty little system for that...
    I just think, would it not be easier for everyone involved if they just kept track of what lockers were taken and what were free? I mean I know it's a big campus but they could at least have a system where you fill out a form each year to confirm that you want to hold on to your locker or not. I mean I really don't see the point of filling out a form about what number locker you're taking and the year you're in, if they can't even free up other lockers that are empty but have a lock still on them. Ugh, I mean is that unreasonable to want? Am I being unreasonable. Not to mention how small the lockers in the Kemmy are. The lockers in the main building are so much bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

4th day of co-op... in so much pain, and internet so horrendous I don't bother with it most of the time (typing this on phone having waited over 10mins for Boards homepage to load)... On the plus side, it's the first day I haven't gotten drenched!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

That's what you get for studying horses :p :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Does anyone know the story with UL Wireless? If you're in the main building and walk 5 meters in any direction after connecting, the signal just disappears. Where is it actually supposed to be available? It seems incredibly random and inconsistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Does anyone know the story with UL Wireless? If you're in the main building and walk 5 meters in any direction after connecting, the signal just disappears. Where is it actually supposed to be available? It seems incredibly random and inconsistent.

Essentially, the story is that it's incredibly random and inconsistent.

In all fairness, there is probably about 10.000 smart phones on the network at this stage too!

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Essentially, the story is that it's incredibly random and inconsistent.

In all fairness, there is probably about 10.000 smart phones on the network at this stage too!

I can't even imagine how many devices are in and out. I wouldn't mind if they required your student ID and password to connect - I've seen this done elsewhere. It might filter out some devices that auto-connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Morons who can't grasp that the crossing at the Schumann is now controlled by traffic lights.

Moron pedestrians walking out in front of cars who have a green light and moron drivers sitting helplessly in front of a green light letting people cross.

I do despair, I truly do.

mud wrote: »
    Morons who can't grasp that the crossing at the Schumann is now controlled by traffic lights.

Moron pedestrians walking out in front of cars who have a green light and moron drivers sitting helplessly in front of a green light letting people cross.

I came to the crossing the last day and waited because my light was red. The only car around stopped and started waving vigorously at me to cross, while they were on green - what the ****?

I've seen people drive through a red as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Hate to break it to you but green only means you can go if the way is clear i.e. no pedestrians in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NeirBot

Cossax wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but green only means you can go if the way is clear i.e. no pedestrians in the way.

I would think if it is green for the driver then he has the right of way.. it is not a pedestrian crossing anymore, the white lines have been burned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Both pedestrians and motorists in UL need to be refreshed about the correct way to use both of these.

zebra crossing

Drivers must stop to let you cross. As they approach the crossing, they should slow and be prepared to stop. They must stop behind the stop line if there is one and must not enter any part of the crossing.

Drivers must not overtake or park within areas covered by zig-zag markings on either side of the crossing. Section 10, on parking, has more information.
    You do not have the right-of-way over other traffic until you actually step onto the crossing. Never step onto the crossing if this would cause a driver to brake or swerve suddenly.
    You must not cross within the area marked by zig-zag white lines if these are provided on either side of a zebra crossing. If they are not provided, you must not cross within 15 metres of the crossing.
    If there is a central island, treat each side as a separate crossing.
    Always watch carefully for approaching traffic. Place one foot on the crossing to indicate that you wish to cross. Wait until traffic has stopped before you start crossing.

Pedestrian lights

Pedestrian lights consist of a set of traffic lights for drivers and a set of light signals for pedestrians. Usually there is a push button for pedestrians. When you press it, the traffic lights will turn to red after a short while.
    Do not cross while the 'wait' or 'red man' light is showing.
    Cross with care when the 'cross now' or 'green man' is showing.

If there is a central island at the pedestrian lights, the 'green man' or 'cross now' sign will let you cross only as far as that. You must then press the push button at another set of lights to cross the rest of the way.
    For vision-impaired pedestrians an audible bleep signal and/or vibrating panel on the push button may be in place to indicate when it is safe to cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

TBH i think those lights have made the situation worse, not better.

freyners wrote: »
    TBH i think those lights have made the situation worse, not better.

I say it more teething issues at this stage. Given how most people who pass the crossing (either as a motorist or a pedestrian) are use to it being a zebra crossing. It will just take a while for people to get over that default wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Cossax wrote: »

It's a signalised crossing. Very simple. Light is green. Go.

Light is red. Do not go.

Jester252 wrote: »
    I say it more teething issues at this stage. Given how most people who pass the crossing (either as a motorist or a pedestrian) are use to it being a zebra crossing. It will just take a while for people to get over that default wiring.

Maybe, it doesnt help that the security guards are doing lollipop lady at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Both pedestrians and motorists in UL need to be refreshed about the correct way to use both of these.

zebra crossing

Drivers must stop to let you cross. As they approach the crossing, they should slow and be prepared to stop. They must stop behind the stop line if there is one and must not enter any part of the crossing.

Drivers must not overtake or park within areas covered by zig-zag markings on either side of the crossing. Section 10, on parking, has more information.
    You do not have the right-of-way over other traffic until you actually step onto the crossing. Never step onto the crossing if this would cause a driver to brake or swerve suddenly.

I was running and approached the zebra crossing between Kilmurry Lodge and the roundabout on the Dublin road yesterday at 1:10 pm.

I had slowed down to a stop and had stepped on the crossing. At the same time I looked to the right and this car was approaching quickly, from the bus stop shelter, with no intention of slowing down. The fecking driver was eyeballing the traffic on the roundabout. He only noticed me at the last moment when he drove by quickly. Bloody lunatic :mad:

Got tipped by a jeep crossing by Plassey exit. Was pissing rain and I looked, saw he was a quite a bit away so opted to cross. Half way across, glanced back and saw he wasn't slowing down, stepped on brakes as he hit crossing, slid right across it. Would've been going to fast across it even if there was nobody on it, in that weather, don't know why anyone was going that speed. Luckily only got a small knock and pushed myself away from it. When he stopped he informed me that he hit me. That was nice of him. :rolleyes:
    Wreckless driving and bad weather is recipe for disaster...

What a fool he had plenty of time to see the red, unless you crossed on a red man.

It was a flashing yellow bulbs at the time, but I'd ample time to cross, given how fast he should've been going. It was rainy, night time and a crossing. Even if he never saw me, he should've slowed for the bump and been cautious of anyone crossing. Stunned afterwards but he drove on after seeing I was still standing and okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

It's a signalised crossing. Very simple. Light is green. Go.

Light is red. Do not go.

Green lights are not automatic rights of way for traffic in much the same way as amber lights actually mean you have to stop unless its unsafe - just because people seem to act as if they mean something else doesn't make it so.

Wind be crazy yo! Sounds like wailing in the reading room!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

I'm not sure the roof of the MSSI is going to last much longer!

Think it's easing off though. God, trapped in the library, had to pick here to seek shelter! At least the cafe is attached right in to it. I need not go outside for food! :D

I was in the canteen with 2 others having lunch. Heard a loud crack. We looked over and a large section of the big tree came flying down.

Those brave girls in the canteen selling the cakes with their backs to the window near the tree. Cakes lovely tho :)

• Advertisement

Walking to college soon... Making my mind up beforehand whether to walk whole way or walk to nearest bus stop and take that. Thing is, waiting for bus would probably be longer and no definite chance of one coming. They're bad enough without an excuse.. :S

Walking to college soon... Making my mind up beforehand whether to walk whole way or walk to nearest bus stop and take that. Thing is, waiting for bus would probably be longer and no definite chance of one coming. They're bad enough without an excuse.. :S

The entrance by the flagpoles is closed now for traffic.

Walking it is...
    Least I won't get knocked down crossing over... :)
    Ever optimistic. :cool:

Seems like it calming down! Lot more long gaps of silence and people seem to be heading out of the library. Was supposed to have Krav Maga on tonight. I'd say any clubs and socs stuff will be cancelled? Suppose it just matters on what it's like 4hrs from now.

Seems like it calming down! Lot more long gaps of silence and people seem to be heading out of the library. Was supposed to have Krav Maga on tonight. I'd say any clubs and socs stuff will be cancelled? Suppose it just matters on what it's like 4hrs from now.

Surely the Krav Maga be indoors.

I'm doing 400m repeats outside at 5:45. Be at the gym in PESS building at 7 pm.

If you home I suggest you stay there.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    If you home I suggest you stay there.
    I travel in from Clare, so I'm stuck in Limerick for the time being anyway. :)

PESS building close tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The arena is closed down now too and will not be open again until tomorrow, along with all campus buildings apparently.

garv123 wrote: »
    The arena is closed down now too and will not be open again until tomorrow, along with all campus buildings apparently.

What about the changing rooms under the Sports bar? I'm to met 1 of the lds for some speed session down by the Industrial estate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

YFlyer wrote: »
    What about the changing rooms under the Sports bar? I'm to met 1 of the lds for some speed session down by the Industrial estate

Not sure but since all staff are leaving campus id assume they'll lock up there too? All cars are blocked from entering the campus too.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    Not sure but since all staff are leaving campus id assume they'll lock up there too? All cars are blocked from entering the campus too.

Cheers Garv

I'll sneak up there past the security and see.

Was working outside in that all day except during lunch, during which a tree fell into the house... One of many, including several ancient trees which were too big for the trunk to break so roots and all came up. Lots of destruction and I had bother keeping my feet most of the time. I've carried more concrete blocks and stuff, using tossed walls to support doors and other walls, than I ever have. Now, im sitting in the kitchen in the dark with no water or electricity, trying to find a way to go somewhere else for the night...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Russellynx

sup_dude wrote: »
    Was working outside in that all day except during lunch, during which a tree fell into the house... One of many, including several ancient trees which were too big for the trunk to break so roots and all came up. Lots of destruction and I had bother keeping my feet most of the time. I've carried more concrete blocks and stuff, using tossed walls to support doors and other walls, than I ever have. Now, im sitting in the kitchen in the dark with no water or electricity, trying to find a way to go somewhere else for the night...

did you get sorted???

Russellynx wrote: »
    did you get sorted???

I did yeah :) got a lift eventually!

Decided to stay at home today not travel in from Clare and miss my tutorial at 11. Really didn't want to have to, but with the weather outside, I really don't want a similar situation to yesterday. Will email my tutor! I hope you don't still lose percentage if the weather is bad!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Stupid weather...

Thomond had no electricity or heating from midday till about 11 last night. Was pretty tough, had to bunker at a friend's in dromroe to steal electric!

On another note:
    The shady people that own the houses in Elm Park are scary :/ I just moved into an Elm Park house. The guy won't give us the number of the landlord as he is the agent.

Said my deposit is 200e and then 200e upfront for the month (fair enough) but then text later saying I gave him 400e & he would give me 50e back since it was only 350 that time.
    Then came in all threatening and refused to give me it back, basically accusing me of lying or losing the extra 50 as he 'recounted' it and only had 350...Bull****. I got out precisely 400 for him :/

Anyway, he's pretty shady and won't give two of the lads who've left their deposits back.

Great...

Just needed a bitch....
    Hope that doesn't cause me more problems down the line.

Aragneer wrote: »
    Stupid weather...

Thomond had no electricity or heating from midday till about 11 last night. Was pretty tough, had to bunker at a friend's in dromroe to steal electric!

On another note:
    The shady people that own the houses in Elm Park are scary :/ I just moved into an Elm Park house. The guy won't give us the number of the landlord as he is the agent.

Said my deposit is 200e and then 200e upfront for the month (fair enough) but then text later saying I gave him 400e & he would give me 50e back since it was only 350 that time.
    Then came in all threatening and refused to give me it back, basically accusing me of lying or losing the extra 50 as he 'recounted' it and only had 350...Bull****. I got out precisely 400 for him :/

Anyway, he's pretty shady and won't give two of the lads who've left their deposits back.

Great...

Just needed a bitch....

Ollie Hastett by any chance.

Decided to stay at home today not travel in from Clare and miss my tutorial at 11. Really didn't want to have to, but with the weather outside, I really don't want a similar situation to yesterday. Will email my tutor! I hope you don't still lose percentage if the weather is bad!:(

Yeah hopefully your tutor be soft on you.

Weather in UL is grand :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

YFlyer wrote: »
    Ollie Hastett by any chance.

He said his name was 'Ali' unless I overheard his name wrong? Not to sound racist here, just a general question is Ollie white? If he is, then it's not the guy I'm talking about.

Aragneer wrote: »
    Stupid weather...

On another note:

Great...

Just needed a bitch....
    Have you signed anything with his name on it, if not refuse to deal with him. Whatever is on your lease is who you should be dealing with.

If he keeps acting the mick over deposits go to threshold and the PTRB, let the agent/LL know you are doing this and watch their cough soften. If that doesnt work follow through with it. If he didnt give you a rent receipt then he more than likely isnt paying the 20% tax so a call to revenue might not go amiss

• Advertisement
Advertisement