Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Snapchat blocked on UL WiFi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Seems to be like that for the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Snapchat is just bolloxed the last few days in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Bogman wrote: »
    Seems to be like that for the last few days

Yup, blocked

Cannot name names but there is a certain women emailing her fecking survey almost twice a day the last week, I was going to do it but with all the spam she can FRO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

It's pretty sad that the education office has to get involved in solving the "snapchat - issue".

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Jester252 wrote: »
    It's pretty sad that the education office has to get involved in solving the "snapchat - issue".

Nope not a person to use the app I never saw the appeal what I was interested in was the possibility of blocking such apps (a similar issue has arisen for Spotify) without consultation with the student body.

Thankfully that is not the case but in previous years there have been requests to remove and block apps and websites to which ITD discuss with us beforehand.

What we wanted to ascertain was that they were compliant in that regard. So its not an issue of snapchat or anything its an issue of weather procedure was followed.

Its unfortunate you misinterpreted the reason for my interest in the issue.If you ever have difficulty understanding the reasoning behind your officers actions feel free to give us a shout. As you can gain from the above statement there's a lot of issues to take into account than what you see on the surface.

Paddy

Its unfortunate you misinterpreted the reason for my interest in the issue.If you ever have difficulty understanding the reasoning behind your officers actions feel free to give us a shout. As you can gain from the above statement there's a lot of issues to take into account than what you see on the surface.

Paddy

How did I misinterpreted?

Did you not get involved in the issue regarding Snap-Chat or as you called it "SnapChat-gate"?

In terms of the "its sad comment" You suggest that the issue of snapchat is beneath that of an officer whilst the underlying principals of social media and its availability to my students was the matter of importance and its possible removal on campus without discussion with the student body.

The term Snapchat gate used by me was a kickback to something like watergate or the recent "dog-gate" when there is an issue of controversy. I was contacted by some students so I put the feelers out last night and then had a look at it again today. You can see by the post I dont have a fondness for the app and would prefer students were studying (In order to pass their exams) but that's not the role of the officer the importance is to investigate blockage of any form of media social or otherwise without consultation. You can see by the sheer amount of people engaged with that post that it was a noticeable change in regular service thus important for us to clarify any changes made by ITD that may have led to it. Fortunately there has not been so it is a bigger issue than servers. Interesting to see students could use it outside though.

In terms of the "its sad comment" You suggest that the issue of snapchat is beneath that of an officer whilst the underlying principals of social media and its availability to my students was the matter of importance and its possible removal on campus without discussion with the student body.

I didn't suggest anything, you're the one who came up with the suggestion
    The term Snapchat gate used by me was a kickback to something like watergate or the recent "dog-gate" when there is an issue of controversy.

WOW I had no idea that sticking gate at the end of a word meant that there was a controversy, You must the first person to use it since 1972. Oh man all those cheap headlines that journalist missed out on.
    I was contacted by some students so I put the feelers out last night and then had a look at it again today. You can see by the post I dont have a fondness for the app and would prefer students were studying (In order to pass their exams) but that's not the role of the officer the importance is to investigate blockage of any form of media social or otherwise without consultation. You can see by the sheer amount of people engaged with that post that it was a noticeable change in regular service thus important for us to clarify any changes made by ITD that may have led to it. Fortunately there has not been so it is a bigger issue than servers. Interesting to see students could use it outside though.

Now if, like you, I where into reading suggestion, I would suspect that that part in bold might not be the best sound bite for the education officer.

As for the sheer 2.27% of student who like a status (giving you the advantage of rounding up to 250 and assume all who liked are current students). It doesn't seem so sheer now.

Well I'll let you do the math, More were involved than issues with trying to access their results

• Advertisement

Well I'll let you do the math, More were involved than issues with trying to access their results

Is that something that you what to advertise?

Well its not some thing Im happy with.

Advertising it or not its the truth of the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

What ever happened to a good old fashioned scandal? Drama over snapchat of all things! Back in my day things were much more exiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

I disagree, it's important that the SU are vigilant about content being blocked without consultation.

Even if it was just about wanting Snapchat unblocked (I realise it wasn't actually ever blocked) it'd still be worthwhile from my perspective. I spend about 10 hours a day on campus and use snapchat as a way to communicate with my girlfriend who's abroad for the semester, it's just a nice little way of sending pictures of funny things we see and whatnot but it'd be a bummer if it were blocked on campus.

Well its not some thing Im happy with.

Advertising it or not its the truth of the situation

If that is the case are you now worried about the students lack of interest in their education?

I have always been and actively work on combating it.

I have always been and actively work on combating it.

How?

Academic help series,
    Study skills workshops
    One to one study management and effective learning methodology.
    Some are online based others are reactive to situations that come up when students drop into the office.
    Curriculum development
    The broadening the curriculum strategy

Loads more you can read all about it here:https://www.facebook.com/pages/ULSU-Education-Officer/184311771189

Academic help series,
    Study skills workshops
    One to one study management and effective learning methodology.
    Some are online based others are reactive to situations that come up when students drop into the office.
    Curriculum development
    The broadening the curriculum strategy

Loads more you can read all about it here:https://www.facebook.com/pages/ULSU-Education-Officer/184311771189

From reading the Facebook page, I haven't seen any event take place this semester. Unless I missed something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

From reading the Facebook page, I haven't seen any event take place this semester. Unless I missed something

It's week 4... are you serious? The fact of the matter is it probably took 10 minutes of Paddy's time to deal with this issue, and if I remember rightly he asked the question on his personal page, in his own time (I could be misremembering here). He saw an issue, and he dealt with it promptly. If ITD suddenly took it into their own hands to decide what to block and what not to block without consulting the students, that would be a big issue. Thankfully it is not the case, but we would not have known that if Paddy had not acted on it.

As for their being no events so far this semester. As I said previously, it is week 4. Paddy more than likely is dealing with issues with FYP's, and other important issues that have a timeframe. I'm sure by the time week 13 comes around we'll have had plenty of time to judge him. But like him or not, he's done a bloody good job for the past two years. CSO... Not so much, but as Academics he's done exactly what the job needs.

And I will also point out that I voted for him neither year before you assume I'm some Rockett lover.

Cadroc wrote: »
    It's week 4... are you serious? The fact of the matter is it probably took 10 minutes of Paddy's time to deal with this issue, and if I remember rightly he asked the question on his personal page, in his own time (I could be misremembering here). He saw an issue, and he dealt with it promptly. If ITD suddenly took it into their own hands to decide what to block and what not to block without consulting the students, that would be a big issue. Thankfully it is not the case, but we would not have known that if Paddy had not acted on it.

Why do students need consulting? Do you not find it sad that more student care about a replaceable app than their education?

As for their being no events so far this semester. As I said previously, it is week 4. Paddy more than likely is dealing with issues with FYP's, and other important issues that have a timeframe. I'm sure by the time week 13 comes around we'll have had plenty of time to judge him. But like him or not, he's done a bloody good job for the past two years. CSO... Not so much, but as Academics he's done exactly what the job needs.

It's week four and next it's week 5. 9 weeks from the exams. Some have their FYP in 8 weeks, some have 4 weeks while other have around 2 weeks.

How long do we wait? If student lack of interest in their eduction is an issue, would it not be better to act on that now rather than wait until a week before the exam?
    And I will also point out that I voted for him neither year before you assume I'm some Rockett lover.

What you do in your spare time is no business of mine ;)

Why do students need consulting?
    Largely because we not only pay (in some cases considerable) fees to attend the University, we are also supposed to be members of the campus community and so on.
    Do you not find it sad that more student care about a replaceable app than their education?

Or, you know, they care also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Cadroc wrote: »
    I'm some Rockett lover.

The best kind of double entendre ;) :pac:

Subutai wrote: »
    Largely because we not only pay (in some cases considerable) fees to attend the University, we are also supposed to be members of the campus community and so on.

not according to Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eletal

Subutai wrote: »

I would have thought you pay for an education and access to relevant materials.
    The UL internet service is not public domain. Yes the wireless is open access, though this is at the discretion of the university. They are fully entitled to block sites without consulting the campus community if they so choose. Plenty of other institutes block facebook for example.

• Advertisement

Eletal wrote: »
    I would have thought you pay for an education and access to relevant materials.
    The UL internet service is not public domain. Yes the wireless is open access, though this is at the discretion of the university. They are fully entitled to block sites without consulting the campus community if they so choose. Plenty of other institutes block facebook for example.

I pay for access to those also. My point is that as we contribute to the funding of the university we should have some say on decisions relevant to the student body.

The university may not be obliged to consult with students, but lobbying for such consultation is the major function of the student's union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

I emailed a tutor about a broken link on Sulis that was for a project that is due next week. He emails back giving out that I only emailed him the weekend before it's due and that I should have gone to his tutorials and went to see him during office hours. WTF the link was working fine up until now but according to him it's my fault. The condescending tone off the email actually made me mad :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Just wondering, is CoOp work entitlements the same as normal work entitlements bar pay? So in terms of hours and breaks and stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

sup_dude wrote: »
    Just wondering, is CoOp work entitlements the same as normal work entitlements bar pay? So in terms of hours and breaks and stuff

You should have signed a contract of employment stating your hours of work etc,
    you are covered by Irish employment law, assuming your coop is in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Agent_99 wrote: »
    You should have signed a contract of employment stating your hours of work etc,
    you are covered by Irish employment law, assuming your coop is in Ireland.

Yeah, watch out for co op abroad if you are abroad. Mine was abroad and they broke my contract. Stated that I'd be working 40 hours a week but it was closer to 50 and the work was ridiculous. I didn't know anything about Spanish law so wasn't sure what to do in relation to this, but if they do anything like that to you then you can talk to your superior and if it isn't sorted you can get on to the co op office. But they only help you if you've tried sorting the issue with the supervisor, which makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Random question, but when do houses in places like Oaklawns, Elm Park, etc tend to pop up on Daft for the summer months?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Random question, but when do houses in places like Oaklawns, Elm Park, etc tend to pop up on Daft for the summer months?

Wouldnt wait, accom office usually has a list going round of LL renting to students in march/april

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Some do . If you walk through elm park at the start of the summer there will be alot of signs on windows looking for people to take a room at a reduced summer rate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

When is the best time to start looking for houses for a postgrad ?

When do you start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

When do you start?

September

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

ASAP

September

If your willing to live on campus begin booking now, you'll get in ahead of most postgrads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Probably not the place to put it but I don't want to make a new thread.

What's security like in Thomond on rag week? I want to stay with my boyfriend (I live in Elm & it's gonna be too loud for me to sleep/study). I will be coming into the place at around 5,6 or 7 each evening. Is security only tight on the night or what?

Aragneer wrote: »

What's security like in Thomond on rag week? I want to stay with my boyfriend (I live in Elm & it's gonna be too loud for me to sleep/study). I will be coming into the place at around 5,6 or 7 each evening. Is security only tight on the night or what?

Cant imagine it will be that tight, of all the villages Thomond is probably the quietest. Arriving early enough will probably be key

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

God I'm not looking forward to RAG week in student accom... Was bad enough in Briarfield last year, apartment above my own have a sing song at every half chance. Next week will be double there usual chances all week long.. Going to learn from last year and have assignment due the Friday of next week, done before the week commences, but have a Coop interview Thursday that I'd like to be prepared for and look well for, requiring a minimum of 6/7 hours sleep.. Not a chance I'm reckoning. Thankfully housemates are quiet enough and don't mind them having a few lads around as long as they're considerate of others.
    Can't wait for it to be over, and it hasn't begun yet.. :/

When I lived at Thomond security was pretty tight. 5 was the earliest I got carded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Chris I second you there...I have quite loud housemates though, who love their cheesy trance music that makes the whole house shake. I have an exam that week and two essays due the week after so rag week is not exactly seeming the most cheerful for me anyway!

Hmm..Gonna have to be careful then.

I lived in Plassey in first year and was never checked and neither was my boyfriend (who lived in Groody).
    We both did the M&M's and came home each night at 5am, heaps of security but nobody bothered us. I won't be drinking so maybe the sensible walk and stuff will help me get in :/

Aragneer wrote: »

Unless it's dramatically changed, it'll be tight. If you're there before 6pm, you will *probably* be OK as long as you don't leave from then on.

Sorry it's not better news, but campus villages are a c*nt during RAG week.

+1 Chris. I'm on Co-op but still living in Dromroe, so I have no choice but to be up at 7 to get ready and go... Next week shall probably make me detest students more than I already do. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Last year I was on teaching practice for RAG week while living in Drumroe.

First week of TP was RAG week and it was AWFUL even with the nicest of housemates who tried their best not to be too loud coming home because they knew I'd to be up early the next morning.

phish wrote: »
    Last year I was on teaching practice for RAG week while living in Drumroe.

First week of TP was RAG week and it was AWFUL even with the nicest of housemates who tried their best not to be too loud coming home because they knew I'd to be up early the next morning.

3 of my housemates are off on TP next week. All are teaching in other counties though so won't be here... So I have to contend with only 2 other housemates...

What could possibly go wrong eh? :pac:

3 of my housemates are off on TP next week. All are teaching in other counties though so won't be here... So I have to contend with only 2 other housemates...

What could possibly go wrong eh? :pac:

You could be in luck so but for me it was all the other people about the place, but then again I was in apartment 1 last year so near enough to the path to Thomond so when people were coming home you'd always hear them walking down to their houses.

phish wrote: »
    You could be in luck so but for me it was all the other people about the place, but then again I was in apartment 1 last year so near enough to the path to Thomond so when people were coming home you'd always hear them walking down to their houses.

Eep... I'm in apartment 1... :eek:

I'm not even joking, talk about coincidence. :pac:

Haha what makes it weirder is every time I walk past going to Kemmy/Schumann I always look in to see whose in my kitchen... not that its even mine anymore....

Or the weirdest would be if you were in my old room and all!!

I'm not too bad this year, down the other end of the village.

• Advertisement

Haha what would be weirdest is if you were in my old room and all!

Is it also weird that every time I walk past I look in to see whose in my kitchen... not that its even my kitchen anymore...

I'm not too bad this year down the other end of the village. In no.1 it depends on which side your living on too, the back is a bit quieter than the front. On the plus side though you have a great creeping window for watching people coming home and making fools of themselves.

Advertisement