Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good deal??

Options
  • 13-10-2008 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

First off, I wouldn't know a lot about cars, I have, however, been looking at used cars for few months now and I have found, what I think is a good deal. Tell me what you think

VW Polo, 2002, 36000, from a SIMI garage, never crashed, few small dents (nothing major), no electric windows, 5 door, silver., comes with one year warranty.

Price: €4850 (was originally 6000).

The garage itself is very well known so theres no worries there.

Good deal?

Would you take this deal? 13 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What engine? 1.2?
    Oh and is it the new shape polo?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭plastic-man

engine is 1.2 and its the same model as this...

http://www.volkscity.com/images/POLO%2003%201.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

thats seems like good value alright, maybe try get something like a free service thrown in in a years time and you really can't go wrong imo.

nice lookign car btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

have a you got a link to it?

nope , I put a deposit on it and they took it down

• Advertisement

What kind of other questions should I ask, before paying the rest?
    Should I pay the €35 and do a full history check, even though its from a SIMI garage and it has full service history with that garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Does it have power steering? I find the polo particularly heavy without it, compared to other small hatches. I wouldn't pay the guts of 5K for a car with no electrics.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Does it have power steering? I find the polo particularly heavy without it, compared to other small hatches. I wouldn't pay the guts of 5K for a car with no electrics.

It's an '02 "new shape", surely it has to have power steering:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

What kind of other questions should I ask, before paying the rest?
    Should I pay the €35 and do a full history check, even though its from a SIMI garage and it has full service history with that garage?

Yes

its pennies to pay to get a history and finance clearance in the scheme of what your planning to spend on this car

I suppose. I never actually asked about power steering. I naively just presumed... Would it cost a lot to get electric windows in?

• Advertisement

It's an '02 "new shape", surely it has to have power steering:confused:

Probably so, but I would have thought even a VW would have elec windows in 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I suppose. I never actually asked about power steering. I naively just presumed... Would it cost a lot to get electric windows in?

Would be talking too much money to consider doing it, better off getting a different car.

I'm feeling unsure now :confused::o ***POLL ADDED***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Wouldn't go near it for 4850...must have had some trouble selling it for 6k.

I doubt it would be worth your while. If you test drove it and didn't notice heavy steering, then it probably has power steering.

They are a nice looking car, but I can't see any reason for not getting a car with elec windows and some toys, especially if you have 5K to spend.

Are you sure the ad has been taken down? Dealers don't generally take them down until after they are sold, despite what they say.

Edit - just had a look on carzone, and it does seem quite well priced for a polo.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Wouldn't go near it for 4850...must have had some trouble selling it for 6k.

ahh now come on, I know that its not a bad deal!! the average price for a 2002 polo with mileage that low is around €6000. I doubt you could find a better deal.

to those who voted NO ..why exactly would you not buy this polo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It may not seem a bad deal.......but it's a godawful car (sorry).

Please do check about the power steering - it used to be extra on a VW (imagine that !) - if it hasn't got it...........walk away.

If it hasn't elec windows, then in all likelihood it's a very, very basic spec, and, for my money, I'd look at a different brand. In a common sense way, a Focus would be better equipped. But a small Peugeot or Renault (don't start the good/bad brand thing again, folks........), would similarly be much better equipped.

All my 0.02, as they say......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I voted no because it looks to be poorly equipped, and I think VW cars are generally overpriced. 5K for a 6 year old car with no electric windows is crazy money.

I agree with everything that galwaytt says. My wife had a Renault Clio, and now has a Peugeot 206. The Clio was nice and nippy, and the 206 is pretty well equipped, if a little sluggish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 crossroads07

Looks like it's a 'base' model you're looking at alright and VW are notorious for lack of kit on their base models so i'm not surprised it doesn't have electric windows etc.

If it were me I'd go for a slightly older model polo - one of the last of the previous generation. I think they went out in '01 or early '02. 3 reasons:

1. I think those are better looking.
    2. When a VW model reaches end of life cycle they usually offer more kit with the cars to help sell them off...(i have one of the last of the mark 3 golf's, it's a base model but it came with electric sunroof & remote central locking - pretty unusual for that car) so you may find you'll get electric windows.
    3. They're pretty reliable cars and there's a high chance you'll get a good deal on one...

That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps! Oh and you'll definitely have power steering regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

AFAIK Polos got power steering as standard in 1999.

I had a '00 Polo (previous model) and really liked it - it was my first proper car.

Price seems OK based on other's research.

Don't worry about checking the car's history - any SIMI dealer should be able to do a car history check for you and provide you with a cert that says they've investigated the car and it's clean of outstanding finance, insurance malarky etc.

Mechanically it should be ok. If the service history's with the garage then odds are any repair work would have been done through them too so they should know the history of the car well. If there was one bit to look into it's this, thought, get someone who knows what they're doing to give it a good going over.

I am so surprised with these poll results.

I am so surprised with these poll results.

Base spec will turn a lot of people off.

Edit - You have a good idea that it will be in good condition mechanically, and you can see it's well priced compared to other Polos out there. Don't put too much into what randomers on an internet forum say

AudiChris wrote: »
    If there was one bit to look into it's this, thought, get someone who knows what they're doing to give it a good going over.

thanks, i've been trying to find someone who really really knows their stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because 4850 could get me a newer car with some spec level from a manufacturer that doesn't make depreciation-allergic cars...

MYOB wrote: »
    Because 4850 could get me a newer car with some spec level from a manufacturer that doesn't make depreciation-allergic cars...

Slightly off the point but.. if the car manufacturer make "depreciating-allergic" cars.. then that means the cars are allergic to depreciating.. meaning they don't tend to depreciate.. Isn't that a good thing, A car that holds its value?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Slightly off the point but.. if the car manufacturer make "depreciating-allergic" cars.. then that means the cars are allergic to depreciating.. meaning they don't tend to depreciate.. Isn't that a good thing, A car that holds its value?

I intend to hold on to my car until a point where its mileage is so high nobody is going to want to touch it, and replace it with a brand new one. Depreciation doesn't matter to me - a car is always going to lose money and I'd prefer to have some level of comfort as I rack up mileage. Windy windows would be an absolute no-no.

I've got 6,000km on a 5 week old car now, per example....

Also, cars at the low end that depreciate heavily are also far cheaper to begin with - you're not really losing anything unless you're the first owner trying to sell early on...

Not really if you are buying second hand, as you are getting less value for money, and hoping that you might recoup some of that money when you go on to sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ahh now come on, I know that its not a bad deal!! the average price for a 2002 polo with mileage that low is around €6000. I doubt you could find a better deal.

I could easily find a better deal.

All VWs are overpriced.

Anyway, you say you're surprised by the poll results? That just shows how little you know..:confused:

4850 on a car with no electrics? I would aye.

• Advertisement

Well the obvious one to consider would be a skoda fabia.

Advertisement