Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of neutering?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

How much does it cost to neuter a small 6 mth old dog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭fits

Male or female? Expect around 100 for a male, more for a female is its more complicated surgery.

Why dont you ring your vet for a price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

If ur on benifits its 20e with dogs trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Male 6 month old.

Called in to the vet today - told maybe 140 or a little more.

Thought that was a little bit expensive.

Will ring another vet tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Mine were over €200 each, depends what part of the country you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

It depends on breed, sex & age of the dog, and depends on area in the country too. You'd be amazed at the variance in vets prices between the densely popluated areas when compared with rural.

Recently had our Rottweiler spayed and the bill, including anti-biotics for after, was somewhere in the region of €180.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I had a small male, just under 10kgs neutered in June in Kildare. Cost €150.

Just got babs done, he is a small jrt. cost me 100e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

hey
    we are on benefits so we got it done for 20 euro with dogs trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Janey - why is it so expensive? My male cat cost 45 euro - why would a dog be so much more expensive? Isn't it more or less the same technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

Hi mary 123 and animal crazy ,how do you contact the dogs trust regarding neutering and where in ireland are they based have tried website but only details for uk

• Advertisement

scatty wrote: »
    Hi mary 123 and animal crazy ,how do you contact the dogs trust regarding neutering and where in ireland are they based have tried website but only details for uk
    Just find a vet that has the posters in the window or phone around. I think lots of vets do it. Or ring 1890946336, this is Dogs Trust no. they will let u know what vets do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Its actually quite a bit more complicated for a male dog than a male cat, also a male cat doesn't need to be sutured up after the incision is made, that's one thing that adds considerably to the time / expense of the procedure for male dogs. In the dog the blood supply / vas deferens etc has to be ligated separately using clamps / suture material, in the tom they can literally be tied to themselves and secured, massively cutting down on time.
    Also, we do still live in a society where many people wouldn't bother having male cats neutered if it was expensive, particularly if they are outside all the time, some people still don't see the negative impact that not castrating can have on both their own cat and the local population. So, if its cheaper, more people with go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

scatty wrote: »

we enquired about it at the vets, I'm not sure if it's available at every vets or just some, just ask your vet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

I got a quote for a 9.1kg dog of €140

When I got my female Retriever/Collie cross done about 3 years ago (she is much much bigger than my little cocker spaniel) it cost me €120

So getting a male dog done today is €20 more expensive than getting a female done was 3 years ago, I'm glad I don't have a female.

It's very offputting but I'm definitely getting it done soon, has anyone ever paid a vet in installments? Would they accept this do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Depends on your vet I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

If you are low income the Blue Cross will do it for you, you just pay for the meds I think.

I recently had my female CKCS neutered in a vet's at a cost of €140 which included pain killers to be administered at home and after care, removing stitches etc.
    Some vets charge by the weight of the dog so the bigger/heavier they are the more you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I Got my female boxer done last week. Her regular vet quoted us €270 and the local vet quoted is €130, so its worth checking all the vets in your area as there seems to be a big price difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

hey
    we are on benefits so we got it done for 20 euro with dogs trust.
    Not available to those on non means tested benefits.

Advertisement