Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio - sandstone

Options
  • 13-10-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'm interested in having a patio in the back garden and am considering indian sandstone. I have since been told that this type of stone is not suited to Irish weather and it would eventually turn green with moss. Is this true and if so could you suggest a decent stone that would be easily maintained and would be suited to our weather.

Many thanks
    Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 colincolin

Eo1n wrote: »
    I'm interested in having a patio in the back garden and am considering indian sandstone. I have since been told that this type of stone is not suited to Irish weather and it would eventually turn green with moss. Is this true and if so could you suggest a decent stone that would be easily maintained and would be suited to our weather.

Many thanks
    Eoin

I did my patio over the summer period in Indian Sandstone and I have to say it looks great. It's fine for the Irish weather you may get a small amount of green appearing on it from the dampness and wet as it is a porous stone and so absorbs liquids. This however is not a problem for two reasons.
    • You can seal the stone with a sealer bought from any supplier woodies B&Q and so on.
    • 2. (The option I took) Even if you don't seal the stone it is easily cleaned with a power hose once a year say at the start of the summer which you will probably do any way because regardless of the stone moss will grow somewhere on your patio. A supplier told me not to bother using a sealer as it washes out if you power hose the patio and needs to be repeated in time so pointless either way.
    If you need a supplier for the stone I pass on the details of the man, as it can be quite pricey. I found a supplier local to me (Kildare) who's prices weren’t beaten anywhere in the country when I call round.

Post a picture when you’re done.

[FONT=&quot]I hope this helps, best of luck[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Eo1n wrote: »

Many thanks
    Eoin

There are many different grades and coloureways of sandstone available and whoever told you that indian sandstone is not suitable is frankly talking rubbish.

Sure in very damp shaded sites all stone will develop some greening etc but this is easily remove and in severe cases by an annual powerwash.

In sunny open sites with little or no overhanging decidous tree/shrub planting, sandstone performs really well and is a very popular choice. That said, there are also other natural stone options including limestone, granite etc. Choice is largely influenced by garden design and preferred style, eg contemporary, rustic, classical, victorian etc.

Advertisement