Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GM discusses merging with Chrysler Group

Options
  • 13-10-2008 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Yeah, this "merger" is really going to go well for both companies if it happens:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

The only advantage of this that I can see is that they can claim to be bigger than Toyota together, but at what cost?

Toyota is the world's biggest car maker yet it only has itself, Lexus, Scion and part owns Daihatsu, Subaru and Isuzu.

GM/Chrysler would include: Suzuki, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Daewoo, Opel, Vauxhall, Saturn, Saab, Cadillac, Holden, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Buick, Hummer, GMC and Wuling.

While there may be a lot to criticise about Toyotas being dull, bland, boring, automotive equivalent of white goods etc, nobody can doubt that as a business, Toyota are streets ahead, and have everything done extrememly efficiently, with just enough brands to cover all angles and offer cars that the ordinary person who sees cars as just a personal transportation device is delighted with. GM as it stands already have more brands than they know what to do with, they've made a complete bags of Saab, diuting all the character and quirkiness of them, and of course are already stung with extrememly high labour costs.

In separate news Ford is talking about selling Mazda, even though Mazda is still very profitable.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9081013.004/chrysler-and-general-motors-begin-merger-discussions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

maybe they will bring back the turbine car

</wishful thinking>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

E92 wrote: »
    Yeah, this "merger" is really going to go well for both companies if it happens:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

The only advantage of this that I can see is that they can claim to be bigger than Toyota together, but at what cost?

Toyota is the world's biggest car maker yet it only has itself, Lexus, Scion and part owns Daihatsu, Subaru and Isuzu.

GM/Chrysler would include: Suzuki, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Daewoo, Opel, Vauxhall, Saturn, Saab, Cadillac, Holden, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Buick, Hummer, GMC and Wuling.

While there may be a lot to criticise about Toyotas being dull, bland, boring, automotive equivalent of white goods etc, nobody can doubt that as a business, Toyota are streets ahead, and have everything done extrememly efficiently, with just enough brands to cover all angles and offer cars that the ordinary person who sees cars as just a personal transportation device is delighted with. GM as it stands already have more brands than they know what to do with, they've made a complete bags of Saab, diuting all the character and quirkiness of them, and of course are already stung with extrememly high labour costs.

In separate news Ford is talking about selling Mazda, even though Mazda is still very profitable.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9081013.004/chrysler-and-general-motors-begin-merger-discussions

Read this today alright.
    Mazda might not have the money to buy back their own share. Hope some decent company buys the share.
    Also, see Fiat and BMW are joining forces for the next "small car platform" that'll be the basis for the next Mini and Punto and other small cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Chevrolet, Daewoo, Opel, Vauxhall,

Padding 2 companies out to 4? touch of tabloidisms E92?:)

Was there not talk of GM going under?Surely anything that helps keep them afloat is a good thing for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Biro wrote: »
    Also, see Fiat and BMW are joining forces for the next "small car platform" that'll be the basis for the next Mini and Punto and other small cars.

Its a tiny car platform to be the basis of the new Isetta and Topolino. Going to be based on a shunted 500 - which is a shunted Panda...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stekelly wrote: »
    Padding 2 companies out to 4? touch of tabloidisms E92?:)

Not really. They are all different brands. Chevrolet are very different and more worthy than rebadged Daewoo dross.

Vauxhall and Opel... well same car now, but different markets, different marketing.

Either way, it seems to me to be two basket case companies mergeing to stave off bankruptcy. We saw how wonderful DaimlerChrysler worked... Chrysler brought a proud company to its knees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Biro wrote: »

That's old news at this stage;)!

More recently they've been discussing amongst other things engines with Mercedes-Benz, with particular reference to co-operating on a new V12 petrol.

Appartently Merc have a new all singing all dancing M275 V12 on the way, with direct injection, turbos, you name it and of course with the low number of V12 engines either brand produces, combined with the fact BMW wants to move to the twin turbo set up for petrols(and the existing V12 is rather antiquated by BMW's standards these days) means they could have an ideal solution.

Merc also needs new 4 pot petrols for the next generation A and B class, because although they will have the standard drivetrain, meaning that they can use amongst other things, the diesel engines found in the rest of the Merc range, Merc still needs a 4 pot petrol engine smaller than the existing one and the forthcoming 1.6 turbo 4 pot from BMW would solve that problem for Merc.

This discussion has not been going well, because there is such a rivalry between BMW and Merc, and the corporate culture within both companies means that this co-operation idea is like going into bed with your sworn enemy, so I really don't think somehow it is going to happen.

The 'technical alliance' with Fiat is definately a runner, I certainly can see why Fiat need it - advanced petrol engines and rear wheel drive chassis for Alfa, and to a lesser extent the co-operation between the 2 companies for the next generation supermini is benefivial for both marques, though what's in it for BMW I really don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

though what's in it for BMW I really don't know.

Now now now, hold your (Bmw powered) horses...

What is it in for BMW?

Well at one end they will have access to designs for small cars, and at the other end we have Maserati and Ferrari technology... Oh, and Fiat SpA make some seriously stunning looking cars. BMW at best range from viciously bland (e46 3 series) to "nice" (e60 5 series)

A fiat aficianado could just as easily say "what is in it for Fiat". I like both companies and can see massive benefits for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd actually like Fiat to buy Fords share in Mazda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Read somewhere recently that BMW 8 cyl production line operated for 36 hrs and covered the years demand...

Interesting times ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't know who is more desperate, GM or Chrysler?

• Advertisement
Advertisement