Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Middle age spread (my car is putting on weight)

Options
  • 13-10-2008 10:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So my baby was 11 this year - which is a good age for a car - (dodgy for a dog or cat but not bad for a car) and thank motor oil she's still running fine and passing NCT's without any bother.

In my nostalgia, I decided to look up the previous NCT cert and found to my dismay that she's put on a bit of weight in the last year or two...

Now according to her birth cert, she went through a non eventful delivery and weighed in at 1250kg when she was born. The previous NCT cert gave her 1262kg which, allowing for some fuel and washer fluid, was not unreasonable.

This years one, however, said she has gained a massive amount, and is now a porky 1327kg :eek::eek:. I find that downright insulting as I had her on a strict diet of E5 for the last 6 months and, when I brought her in, the needle on the little guage that judges Fat -> Emacitaed was actually about 0.5mm below the E.

So srsly - what's going on? Thats over 100kg (nearly 10%) error over factory weight.. are they really that inaccurate? Is this also affecting readings on suspension and brake effort?

I find this disturbing, has anyone else got any similar discrepancies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You need to empty the boot....

news.pagepublication.fat-woman.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hammertime wrote: »
    You need to empty the boot....

She's a Fiat (I can tell) mine's not thank God...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Scottie99

They must be using Ryanair scales!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My NCT cert claimed my Fiat Panda Active 1.1 was over 1.1 tonnes.

It left the factory weighing 840kg! Full tank of fuel, couple of CDs and a Pure Highway don't add up to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The classic manufacturer's trick of filling the tyres with Helium! It gets replaced with heavy old air over time as you get punctures or have your tyres changed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

MYOB wrote: »
    My NCT cert claimed my Fiat Panda Active 1.1 was over 1.1 tonnes.

It left the factory weighing 840kg! Full tank of fuel, couple of CDs and a Pure Highway don't add up to that...

I'd expect there to be 'some' tolerance on whatever they weigh the cars with (maybe +/- 5kg) but that is ridiculous.
    If they're that far out on a simple measurement like weight, how do they expect us to believe that other measurements are 100% accurate?? Especially if they fail you on one and it ends up costing money for a re-test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Very puzzling, when we had a Fiat many years ago it was quite a bit lighter at 2 years old than it was when new :D

Anyway, there are probably several kgs of muck and debris lodged in the wheelarches and in other nooks and crannies. but that'd hardly account for a 70 kg increase.

Advertisement