Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you gonna march on wednesday 22nd October?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The last march I think i attended in college would've been in 2004/5 for grant reform iirc. (the majority of ones that occured after were either for topics where i felt marches were unhelpful, or were affiliated with a couple of groups I had no interest in marching beside - climate change anyone? ;)) - I always think there are two ways to run them that actually results in a big turnout, and they both have downsides:

1) the party atmosphere march - get everyone happy shouting going mad - downside: can not be taken seriously.
    2) the angry protest march - get everyone riled up, fuming etc. - downside: people act like nutbags. watch the video of the protest in UCD today to see exactly the type of people who you least want representing students across the nation (see also indymedia). Unfortunately, guaranteed that there will be a bunch of these SWP style idiots out in force on wednesday to act the tit, so you'll see this one heading that way.

I might actually drop in on Wednesday to observe and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Peleus wrote: »
    check it out, i made a graph.

Very accurate

Exactly what I predicted

Surely you should've made it a 3-d graph - attendance against cloud/sun against wet/dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Peleus wrote: »
    check it out, i made a graph.
    Worst graph EVAR.

Where are your units!? Or labels for the axes?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Surely you should've made it a 3-d graph - attendance against cloud/sun against wet/dry.
    Engineers only learn about the z plane in second year :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Engineers only learn about the z plane in second year :P

actually i'm just really afraid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

What's the data point at about 11.5 attendance? Just an outlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

penguin88 wrote: »
    What's the data point at about 11.5 attendance? Just an outlier?
    I'm amazed you guys are analysing the graph in such detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I'm amazed you guys are analysing the graph in such detail.
    Unitless graphs make Baby Jesus cry.

Just giving it the time and respect it deserves...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I have a tutorial from 12 till 2 but it has finished up early the last couple of weeks so might be able to meet the crowd in front square, if not I'll just follow along to the Dail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Will it be clashing with the pensioner's protest?

And might this show the insignificance of the student protest? i.e. protesting against something which hasn't been confirmed or even mentioned in the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Will it be clashing with the pensioner's protest?

And might this show the insignificance of the student protest? i.e. protesting against something which hasn't been confirmed or even mentioned in the budget.

Considering they protested today... no :P

They're supposed to be protesting tomorrow at 12.30 as well - the one in the church on westland row was today, apparently the dail tomorrow. Who knows.

Yeah, tomorrow is the Joe Duffy brigade one.

I was going to write a joke about alzheimers patients and how difficult it is to organise a march...but i'll be good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

No.

Too many undergraduates.

Bring back fees, raise the standard of undergraduates and increase the number of post-graduates.

Everything Trinity does should be geared towards being the best: whether it's through academia, sport, debating, publications, etc.

The College is bursting at the seams. Imagine if all students decided to go to Commons one night -- we'd need about 30 or 40 sittings to accomodate everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

No.

Too many undergraduates.

Bring back fees, raise the standard of undergraduates and increase the number of post-graduates.

Everything Trinity does should be geared towards being the best: whether it's through academia, sport, debating, publications, etc.

The College is bursting at the seams. Imagine if all students decided to go to Commons one night -- we'd need about 30 or 40 sittings to accomodate everyone.

Are you being serious????

mathew wrote: »
    Are you being serious????
    I can see where he's coming from (to a certain extent obviously). That commons piece was pure baloney, it's like 20quid or something, most students couldn't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

RTE is saying 10,000 students turned out for the march today :)

Stargal wrote: »
    That seems hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

That seems hard to believe.

Easily 10,000. Saw it and will have photos in the next few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Stargal wrote: »

Heard in PUBS that the USI estimation was 15,000. Was pretty mental.

Oh and a bit more detail 4,000-5,000 of those students came from Trinity. Or so said the gardai.

Heard in PUBS that the USI estimation was 15,000. Was pretty mental.

Oh and a bit more detail 4,000-5,000 of those students came from Trinity. Or so said the gardai.
    They would say that though.

Fair play to the organisers. They got a good turnout.

Any arrests?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Any arrests?

No incidents or arrests.

15,000 was the official Garda figure form the Superintneding Officer.

I would say between 10 and 12 thousand were there.

Yeah that's what I would have thought had I not gone myself. Was in house 6 when they were starting to come past Front Arch and the racket was insane.

Was an excellent turn out. And a really good buzz at it too. The NCAD posters were really cool. But even though every college had their own banners/t-shirts/sign which included their own student union logo, there was a real sense of 'we're all in this together'

I walked out onto nassau street and joined the march there. While doing so I saw a 10 person, maybe 15 person protest on animal rights, did anyone else that? it was just in front of the main USI banner. I think they were moved along before the fees protest got to Kildare street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

Makes sense much??
    If they bring in fees, then you are eliminating people who cannot afford to pay, thus the demand for college course will drop. In some cases, the contest for places may be eliminated meaning that anybody can get in once they can pay up.
    It's already like that in my course(well, similar). Once you get a C3, you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Bring back fees, raise the standard of undergraduates

Are you saying Fees = Higher standard of undergraduates?
    I'm giving you a chance to save face here.

• Advertisement

Peslo wrote: »
    If they bring in fees, then you are eliminating people who cannot afford to pay, thus the demand for college course will drop. In some cases, the contest for places may be eliminated meaning that anybody can get in once they can pay up.
    It's already like that in my course(well similar). Once you get a C3, you're in.

Two points: (i) firstly there are already private colleges where people can choose to pay for courses such as law. These courses usually require significantly less points than courses in TCD/UCD/DCU etc.
    (ii) However this said I don't think that academic standards would drop if fees were introduced. And I think it's one of the more rubbish arguments against the reintroduction of fees that I have heard. Medicine will still attract people who are going to get massive amounts of points as would courses like Law, Physio, Pharmacy and others. Fees would mean changes in lots of ways and would be detrimental for many students but I don't think academic standards would drop. I think what the OP was saying is that if there were fees there would be no one going to college who was just going there because it was free and thats what all their mates were doing. Or at least part of what he was saying.

Advertisement