Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone agree?????

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Am i the only person in this country dat thinks the world is gone MAD:mad:
    I was in my local superquinn yesterday amd couldnt belive my eyes:eek:
    There was a mother and her 2 kids in pjs!!!!!!:confused: wat the f---k is going on??
    Oh yeah it was at 4pm on a sunday:confused:
    AM I MISSING THE NEW FASHON???????????????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

There was a mother and her 2 kids in pjs!!!!!!:confused: wat the f---k is going on??

Hee hee hee... I think that's quite fun actually :-)

Live and let live. How was this impacting on you, apart from offending your fashion sense? :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Were they wearing Ugg boats with the pjs?:)

It is rampant in the IFSC and it is adults..

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

That'll be the Clildline Breakfast Together Week that ended last Sunday. Pyjama days up and down the country. All clean fun and in aid of charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I dont see the problems so long as they werent wet, cold or bothered about it. Having forgotten something which i desperatly needed and having already gotten my little fella dressed in his pj's i have taken him out with a pair of wellies and a jacket. Its no different then wearing clothes ... after all its just material sewn together to make something you can throw on.

However if it was a case that thats all they were in .. no jacket no shoes... i might have a problem with brining them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I may have read this wrong initially...so just to clarify...was the mother in PJs also or just the 2 kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

di11on wrote: »
    How was this impacting on you, apart from offending your fashion sense? :-)
    How does littering impact you though? Directly it does not - let's be clear about that - however, if not curbed and if allowed to continue, litter becomes a problem in the society you live in and thus does become a problem.

By not dissimilar logic, even mildly antisocial or unhealthy behaviour can have far reaching effects. A child that is only fed junk food growing up is very likely to have health problems as an adult. Who do you think is likely to pay the bill for their medical care? You, the tax payer, of course.

And children being brought up in a certain manner will adopt social standards in the future that will have far reaching effects, not to mention that the more are brought up in that manner, the more acceptable it becomes to do so. And if those standards are even mildly anti-social, then that's not a good thing for the rest of us - aesthetics aside.

How does littering impact you though? Directly it does not - let's be clear about that - however, if not curbed and if allowed to continue, litter becomes a problem in the society you live in and thus does become a problem.

By not dissimilar logic, even mildly antisocial or unhealthy behaviour can have far reaching effects. A child that is only fed junk food growing up is very likely to have health problems as an adult. Who do you think is likely to pay the bill for their medical care? You, the tax payer, of course.

And children being brought up in a certain manner will adopt social standards in the future that will have far reaching effects, not to mention that the more are brought up in that manner, the more acceptable it becomes to do so. And if those standards are even mildly anti-social, then that's not a good thing for the rest of us - aesthetics aside.
    This is all very true on how small things might eventually affect us, but to be honest they were in their pjs. How many parents here never once brought their children out in their pjs. I think we are making a big deal out of a tired mother trying to get everything done at once. If however the OP mentioned that her behaviour was one of indifference towards her children then there might be something in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Maybe they were Ben 10 or Dora p.j's.... maybe she was tired.
    Maybe they are a laid back family and couldint give a rats ar*e what other people have to say about what they wear.
    Maybe they are the most loved kids on the planet.

I'd have smiled and though.... cute.

If her kids are happy, i'm happy as their not pulling the shop down around me. Does she care if Mrs O Rielly is fashionably offended? i doubt it...and fair play to her.

I dont see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

This is all very true on how small things might eventually affect us, but to be honest they were in their pjs.
    I don't know any parent who would bring their children out in their PJ's. I've seen a good few scumbags who do though, and who's children are more than likely to grow up like them.
    I think we are making a big deal out of a tired mother trying to get everything done at once.
    Just as we could be making a big deal about one person throwing a piece of litter on the ground.

In this particular case, if it was simply a case of tired mother ringing herself and her children out in their PJ's once, it would be all right, but we both know that this kind of thing tends to also go hand in hand with other far more anti-social behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Going out in pyjamas is somewhat crazy.

Hope you gave them a good dirty look on behalf of us upstanding boardsie parents, OP! ;) Social outcasts, know your place!

(But no, I would never do it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

As an earlier poster mentioned, they most probably had been at a 'Breakfast Together' event in aid of Childline. Saw them advertising that it was running all of last week.
    Unless there was a Pyjama Day charity thing on too, although I think they usually run that sometime in Feb/Mar.

Your logic is only relevant if the behaviour in question has negative impacts on society as a whole in the long run. I don't see what these could be. I have no problem with wearing PJs all day becoming an acceptable social standard. I don't see too many negative side effects, certainly not on the scale of the kinds of anti-social behavior you are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Not bothering to get changed from the clothes that you have worn in bed for the last 6-8 hours portrays an image of laziness and lack of pride in oneself. If you are to be portraying that sort of image in how you dress, then it won't be long before it is self perpetuating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Dfens wrote: »
    Unless there was a Pyjama Day. . . .

Every Day is Pyjama Day to some people in parts of the country. . .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

i took it to mean all 3 were in their pjs?

TBH if your not around Dublin or Limerick a lot you might not be familiar with the daily sight or grown adults freely wearing their pjs in public.
    It is not for charity or any good cause or 7am in the morning,it is all day every day and laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Not a dress sense that would appeal to me, and I must really live in the sticks because I haven't seen anybody out dressed like this yet! Wouldn't bother me, TBH. This song made me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oh well , okay

When I lived in San Francisco it was quite common to see people popping out to the shops in their PJ's and I lived in quite an affluent area of the city , the PJ's were quite fancy in fairness though .

I have to say I think there's a fair bit of over reaction going on here - there's many reasons why this family could have been out in their jim jams on a Sunday . Damning them to a life of crime and hooliganism says more about the posters on here then the chaps in their pyjamas as far as I can tell .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would not step out the front door in my pjs even with my dressing gown, not even to just pull in the wheelie bin.

Sure my kids like to have pj days but that means that it's not a school day and they have a shower and put on clean pjs for the day, some days they may get into thier pj after school if we are not goind anywhere in the evening but thats still a lot different to going out in public in them or going to the shops.

I have seem mothers on ocassion dropping thier kids to school and they are walking or in the car with coat over thier pjs and runners on and ok things might get hetic in the morning esp if she isn't well or some of the kids are sick but really it hardly takes a minute to put on a pair of trousers or tracksuit bottoms.

I do believe in having standards, fair enough other people's are different to mine but there is a difference in standards and not having any at all.

Anyone ever have that dream where you find yourself in school in your pyjamas or missing one shoe?

Hmmm... anyone know a good counsellor? :p

I don't know any parent who would bring their children out in their PJ's. I've seen a good few scumbags who do though, and who's children are more than likely to grow up like them.
    I have brought my children out in their pjs or taken pjs with me when i know im going to be back late and need to put them to bed as soon as we get back. Im am not a scumbag nor are the other parents who i know who have done the same. This statement is a rather large generalisation imho. My children are extremly well behaved and respectful of other people. So now you do know a parent who has taken her children out in their pjs. Not that it has ever happened anymore then twice but again what are you to do when they are dressed for bed, youve forgotten something you have to pick up then and there. Me i stick a coat and wellies on them and off i go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

You signed up to boards just to post this?? :confused:

People want to wear their pyjamas-who cares! Personally i wouldn't wear pyjamas out the door, there may be occassion when i'd allow my child to do it but they'd be few and far between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

The only people i have seen wearing pj's in public have been knackers....wearing them , when there is no need for it..like recently i was in a chipper/take away and 2 women, parked up their car outside and came in, both in full pj's. They looked rough like..
    Now, if i was going somewhere, and was going to be back late, i would bring my daughters pj's with us. And there has been occasion where i would collect my boyfriend from the pub and i would just throw on a hoody over my pj's and collect him, i wouldnt be getting out of the car.

I think it is awful to see people wearing pj's in public when there is clearly no need for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I would do it if I thought I could get away with it :D I do agree though thats it does seem a bit lazy if it was indeed the same clothes they had been wearing all night,,,,smelly pants :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clare2abbigail

so im not the only one who thinks it crazy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

so im not the only one who thinks it crazy :D

No, your not..but just to confirm...were the 3 of them wearing pj's or just the kids..

Advertisement