Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu and virtual machines.

• 13-10-2008 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭

Please excuse my ignorance, I know computers well, but have feck all experience with Ubuntu and virtual machines. I was wondering how effective a Windows XP virtual machine on Ubuntu would be at running games? Or a Vista virtual machine? Are there any limitations or can the function normally? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mewmoo

Virtual machine are assigned virtual hardware, if you have an average machine you are splitting into 2 below average machines... Ubuntu has an application called WINE that runs losts of windows games very well.

Virtualization is pretty cool, handy for if you're stuck but can't be arsed to do partition installations.. say you really need something on windows that isn't available on Ubuntu then it's grand... games i haven't tried. I could be arsed since WINE does the trick for me anyway.

Virtualization is really more for **** hot servers for running multiple web-servers or databases at once so if one crashs the other aren't effected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'd forget about playing games in a VM. It's sharing resources from the main OS.

What games are you thinking of playing? Wine works for a lot of games - Steam works fine for HL/CS etc. I play WoW and Steam games mainly on Feisty (really should upgrade at some stage :D ) But some games like Spore *cough spit* won't work due to the bull**** copy protection on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Look up your game in the wine db, if it has a gold or platinum rating your sorted.
    appdb.winehq.org
    You'd probably need a very good computer to run memory hungry games in a VM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Yeah its got 4gigs of RAM, a 1gb 1800mhz dual GPU radeon and a 2.1 ghz dual core. It's pretty decent. Might need to update that processor soon though. Cheers lads! WINE it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Tara45

Running a vm such as qemu wouldn't be very effective at all. That's even with the kqemu accelorator.

You might get away with it for some games eg. Civilization. But not ping-time games such as call-of-duty etc...

This is why laptops dual-boot :-)

ENJOY

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could try virtualbox / vmware and assign lots of ram , and turn off all the stuff youcan on the linux box so the VM has plenty of cpu time
    XP gets snotty about VM's and activation , it can't see the BIOS so you may not be able to use branded media and if you change the amount of RAM / other settings it might decide to re-activate
    still you get 30 days to try it out.

Advertisement