Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice - Again

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:32pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, so i'm looking to upgrade my computer in the next month or so, to accomodate the latest and greatest month for games ever (Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 and Red Alert 3 to be more specific). Basically, i want to be able to play the above games, and any games in the near future, at fairly high settings on a 22" widescreen monitor. And preferably within a €500 budget.

Was looking for some advice. Have the following...
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, P965, Socket-775, ATX, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2, 1xPCI-Ex16
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan
    HIS ATI Radeon X1900 XTX 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-Express)
    Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX (2x1GB) (MY-095-CS)
    Seasonic S12 Powersupply 500W, 120mm Fan, 4xSATA, ATX/EPS, SLI, 20/24pin

Should i go with an SLI 8800GT, a GTX, or one of the new Radeons?
    Will I need to upgrade my motherboard? What about the RAM and CPU? Are they good enough?
    And what about the PSU?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Kiith wrote: »
    Right, so i'm looking to upgrade my computer in the next month or so, to accomodate the latest and greatest month for games ever (Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 and Red Alert 3 to be more specific). Basically, i want to be able to play the above games, and any games in the near future, at fairly high settings on a 22" widescreen monitor. And preferably within a €500 budget.

Was looking for some advice. Have the following...

Should i go with an SLI 8800GT, a GTX, or one of the new Radeons?
    Will I need to upgrade my motherboard? What about the RAM and CPU? Are they good enough?
    And what about the PSU?

Slap in a radeon 4870 or an Nvidia 260GTX
    (which ever you prefer, I went with the Radeon on this one)

PSU and CPU are fine. (most games only make use of a dual core at most)

If you can add a little more ram to get you up to the 3gig mark or so.
    Tbh hang on the the majority of the parts you have.

There is new intel stuff out shortly which means a new motherboard and a new CPU socket with DDR3 ram. A new gfx card plus the parts you have set you up nicely for the next year or so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ok, that sounds good. For RAM, is 3gb the limit that is supported by windows XP? I vaguely remember someone telling me that Vista only supported 3b's...

What about...
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=368359
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339129

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

depends on if you have 32 or 64bit XP/Vista as to how much RAM you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Kiith wrote: »
    For RAM, is 3gb the limit that is supported by windows XP?

Depends whether its 32-bit or 64-bit. Both XP and Vista come in those flavours. Any 32-bit OS can only address a maximum of 4 GB of memory in total, and some of that will be taken up by things like video cards, so generally the maximum RAM that you'll see on a 32-bit OS, even if you have more installed, will be 2.8GB-3.2GB or so (rough figures) depending on what other components you have in the system.

Advertisement