Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

entropi wrote: »
    Finishing off Afro Samurai: Resurrection on Netflix :)

Anygood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Anygood?
    Pretty good I have to say, very much like the first one (which I liked).

Worth a look anyway if the first series was up your alley :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

following kill la kill as it comes out. Nuts like Gurrenn Lagann with an awesome soundtrack. Enjoying it.

Went on a bit of a buzz for animes set in a gameworld (the trapped in a MMO routine which can be classed as a whole genre in itself at this stage)

watched both seasons of sword art online which I was mixed on, was meh to begin with, really picked up halfway through season 1, ends abruptly and the 2nd season is a huge step down (not to mention criminally unfair to one of the leading characters)

One I have higher hopes for that is still coming out is Log Horizon which I find has been a lot more clever with dealing with the whole *its a game world* motif with firstly some clever twists on what is expected from an anime story and what would be expected from a game. How it handles issues like Food and NPCs genuinely had me go...*Oh that's clever!* especially the npc one which looks to be central to its plot.

Aside from that I watched the first season of Magi which was ok and am catching up on the 2nd season.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

After almost dropping Outbreak Company, I'm glad I haven't. The show's just turned a sinister turn, very much back on my radar again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

After almost dropping Outbreak Company, I'm glad I haven't. The show's just turned a sinister turn, very much back on my radar again.

Huh, it sounds kind of and interesting.

Following Kill La Kill as well. It has pretty awesome music.

Reading the Fairy-Tail manga. So much epicness and so little time. Mind you, he's not the best artists. It gets a little confusing during the fight scenes.

I want to read the Berserk manga, but Japanese horror does push western legality?

Are they continuing the story in anime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Watching an anime called Watamote at the moment. Still only at the first couple of episodes, so I'll see how it goes before I decide if it is good or not. But only after 2 episodes it already made my my list of reasons why anime is amazing. It is a slice of life about a high school girl with social anxiety issues, issues I can relate to myself, and I can honestly say I have never seen a better depiction of what its like. Right now I'm watching it in 5 minute bursts before I find myself overly relating and dredging up some awkward memory. I've heard some people describe it as a comedy and a tragedy, and some as mean spirited, I'm not sure how I would describe it. Mostly it amazes me that it exists.

Yes, it is a great anime. If a similar Tv-Show came out, i'd have no doubt it would be called a game changing Tv-show.

I'm forcing myself to watch it, and while it may serve as an early warning system for otaku like the MC, I kind of wish they made it less depressing.

Even though the whole point of it is to be depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

watching Kenichi - history's strongest disciple .its very light and easy to watch,a nice change of pace from some of the ones i've been watching lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Well that went nowhere...

A good premise very badly handled and one that struggled to create any sense of conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 styrax

Gundam Build Fighters!

If you watch Kill La Kill, you should check out the songs that the episodes are named after.

They are pretty cool, and really adds that Tarantino factor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just finished black butler season 2,bit strange but enjoyable all the same,much preferred it to season one.

Watching chaos head................its one very strange show and I'm a little lost watching it if i'm honest :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Watching chaos head................its one very strange show and I'm a little lost watching it if i'm honest :o

I've heard the adaptation isn't that great alright. Let us know if it gets any clearer haha!

Konata wrote: »
    I've heard the adaptation isn't that great alright. Let us know if it gets any clearer haha!

Will dooooooo ! lol

• Advertisement

Konata wrote: »

8 episodes in now and its finally getting better, to bad theres only 12 episodes.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

My Crunchyroll queue currently consists of:

* Space Brothers
    * Log Horizon
    * Kill La Kill
    * Samurai Flamenco
    * Valvrave The Liberator

Other recent things:

* Ghost in the Shell: Arise
    * Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
    * Psycho-Pass
    * Accel World

Also recently rewatched Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, Sword Art Online, and Steins;Gate.

I think this new MMO-anime genre (Accel World, Swort Art Online, Log Horizon) is satisfying that part of me that likes the idea of MMO games but never wanted to invest the time ;)

Psycho-Pass was really impressive - not sure how to describe it, like a GiTS:SAC crossed with Silence of the Lambs maybe.

Steins; Gate made me read up on nixie tubes (you may recall the Divergence Meter) and buy this neat little thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Just finished watching Steins;Gate last night myself, and wow :D

Finished chaos head,not great and very confusing........not sure what to watch now.

Watching Chrono Crusade,good soooo far :D

The netflix anime selection has gone to the dogs altogether :( wish I'd cancelled now.

• Advertisement

New Sword Art Online special is about as disappointing as expected. Mostly a recap, the last 15-20 minutes is the only new stretch (the first hour and ten minutes is recap interspersed with the girls doing swimming lessons).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

CuLT wrote: »
    New Sword Art Online special is about as disappointing as expected.

A disappointed agreement :( Was hoping for some links to the second season/gun gale online.

Marathoned Shin Sekai Yori (From The New World).

Impressive. It's a little hard to praise this show without gushing, but stories like this remind me why I love science fiction.

Ambitious forecasting, delivers thoughtful allegories, sets the technological scene but doesn't labour it - amongst other more subtle details.

Animation is a bit up and down, but the score is haunting, the story is just fantastic, and the delivery is expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

dragon ball z kai is so wierd but funny

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

Rewatching Elfen Lied and reading Skip Beat

"The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys" might actually be the funniest show I've ever watched.

And I've watched a lot.

Myself and herself finally finished Death Note :D

Watching Speed Grapher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I just started Space Dandy, and TBH I think it's too early to have a definite opinion on it yet, Ep. 1 made me go "WTF?!" at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I just started Space Dandy, and TBH I think it's too early to have a definite opinion on it yet, Ep. 1 made me go "WTF?!" at the end.

It is quite bat**** alright, but I do love the odd nonsensical comedy every now and then.

So with the start of a new season, anyone have any picks of good series to follow? Im currently watching Silver Spoon, Log Horizon (takes a while to get going but so good), Nagi No Asukara (Im a slave to PA Works backdrops) and Tonari no Seki-kun (just watch it, its 8 minutes long but brilliant).

Also Magi, Kill la Kill, Samurai Flamenco
    Im so waiting for the penny to drop and explain the shift in tone after Guillotine Gorilla shows up, its such a massive change from the realistic approach it started with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Justice!

Just finished the second season of Code Geass, really really enjoyed it :D However R2 got rather confusing in points
    How did V.V become immortal in the first place?? Also the truth about Marianne was horrible poor Lelouch :(

Can anyone recommend something similar to chrono crusade,slayer or fairy tale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic (Fairy Tale 2.0)
    Record of Lodoss War
    Berserk
    Bastard!!
    Guin Saga
    Tears to Tiara
    Utawarerumono
    D.Gray-man (Closest thing to Chrono Crusade, I can think of)

Thank raif,I've seen d gray man and tears to tiara,loved d gray man,pity the other 51 episodes haven't been translated to English yet.I watched up to episode 72 of fairy tale,waiting for that to translated too lol.

Thank raif,I've seen d gray man and tears to tiara,loved d gray man,pity the other 51 episodes haven't been translated to English yet.I watched up to episode 72 of fairy tale,waiting for that to translated too lol.

Finally got the time to perused my Anime Collection. Some more recommendations that are similar/close to Animes you like, specially Chrono:

Fullmetal Alchemist
    Trinity Blood
    Devil May Cry
    Witch Blade
    Blood +
    X
    Claymore
    Hellsing
    Death Note
    Gungrave
    Highlander: The Search for Vengeance
    Ninja Scroll Movie (Don't bother with the Series, it's Crap)
    Vampire Hunter D
    Kurozuka

Thanks alot raif,I've seen witch blade,gungrave (did not want it to end) ninja scroll (a classic) And FA,I'll check out the rest though :D

Thanks alot raif,I've seen witch blade,gungrave (did not want it to end) ninja scroll (a classic) And FA,I'll check out the rest though :D

You like Gungrave? Baccano and Black Lagoon are the Animes similar to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Watching classic mecha series VOTOMS at the mo', some pacing issues and a limited soundtrack but otherwise hugely enjoyable. Love the designs, band of characters and sense of humour.

Scrapped Princess
    DNAngel
    Hellsing
    Tokko
    Kekkaishi
    Tenjou Tenge
    Basilisk
    Tales of Abyss
    Wolf's Rain
    Darker than Black (the 1st season is my favorite)
    Jyu Oh Sei
    Fruits Basket (drama and romance)

The others i would highly recommend were already mentioned above ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭The Sky

I just just finished Clannad & Clannad After Story, what a sad but beautiful anime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

draGON BALL ZKAI BUu SAGA IS COMING OUT THIS YEAR

Really like chrono cruzade but I thought it had a crap ending,start something new on monday :)

Really like chrono cruzade but I thought it had a crap ending,start something new on monday :)

Unfortunately, you will find that kind-of-a-crap-ending in more animes. =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Just finished Berserk, man was it good. Took a few episodes to get going but more than makes up for it.

2nd season is out soon...right guys.....guys? :(

Gunmonkey wrote: »

:(

Too soon man, too soon :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Hunter x Hunter right now.. awesome.

From the latest season just tried Magical Warfare, Wizard Barristers, and Nobunaga The Fool.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Just finished Berserk, man was it good. Took a few episodes to get going but more than makes up for it.

I have been waiting for the 2nd season for more than +5years.

But you can always watch the movies: Berserk: Golden Age Arc I, II and III ;)

Or, if you can't wait, read the manga. You will love it!

Attack on titan is on netflix :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Irish or US?

Irish or US?

U.S,Good so far,kinda grim though :-/.

• Advertisement
Advertisement