Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

I like the direction Dr. Stone took in this arc. It would have been very boring to have all of Tsukasa's people
    be completely on board with his plan

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

3 episodes in on High Rise Invasion on Netflix and its very promising. Netflix have finally decided to go with more traditional animation styles than the CGI stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Evade wrote: »
    I like the direction Dr. Stone took in this arc. It would have been very boring to have all of Tsukasa's people
    be completely on board with his plan

Yeah it's a brilliant show! Really enjoying this season and the introduction to the new characters

Is it just me or are Kohaku's eyes not as comically far apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Holy crap, the most recent episode of Jujutsu Kaisen (20 - Nonstandard) was amazing! So much awesome happened. Really starting to dig this, even though there's only 4 episodes left. The roughly drawn style when fighting takes a small bit of getting used to, but it can also be beautiful in its own right, and this episode really showed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Watched the other weekend the two Dragon Ball movies on Netflix. They were a laugh and brought me back to my secondary school days, watching DBZ every evening after school. Ah the memories :)

I've been browsing lately what's also available on Netflix and I'm loving Sword Art Online (very appropriate as I'm spending hours and hours playing Final Fantasy 7 :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Barna77 wrote: »
    Watched the other weekend the two Dragon Ball movies on Netflix. They were a laugh and brought me back to my secondary school days, watching DBZ every evening after school. Ah the memories :)

I've been browsing lately what's also available on Netflix and I'm loving Sword Art Online (very appropriate as I'm spending hours and hours playing Final Fantasy 7 :D)

Completely binged sword art during the 1st lockdown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Anyone seeing Tensei ****ara Slime Datta Ken episode 32 and going, "Oh hell yes, now we're talking" in regards to the plan?

I'm waiting for the season to finish and I'll binge from S1E1 again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm waiting for the season to finish and I'll binge from S1E1 again.
    I rewatched it along with OWAs before season 2 already; will probably redo it all again afterwards.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Anyone seeing Tensei ****ara Slime Datta Ken episode 32 and going, "Oh hell yes, now we're talking" in regards to the plan?
    Yeah, they kind of deserve it too. Nice bit of filling in on Millim's backstory and the solution to the love triangle was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Finished High Rise Invasion, it's pretty average and unremarkable. A bit meh.

I thought it would be a horror, but it takes a pretty hard left turn into sci-fi very quickly.

For anyone wondering about the tone, the protagonist girls will not blink an eyelid when someone is decapitated in-front of them and they get showered in their blood; BUT they'll freak out and blush if a slight breeze reveals their panties.

Also any slashing attacks at their chests never draw blood but always perfectly reveal their bras.

It's one of those kind of anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Stretching the definition of Anime a bit but it is mostly in the style - I binged Pacific Rim Black on Netflix yesterday. For the most part it's quite good actually and a decent expansion/sidestory of the original. It's native audio is english which feels wrong since I detest dubs enough for it feel like there should be a problem but the voice acting is quite good as is the script. Animation is good minus the overly done reintroduction of judder to compensate for it being pure CGI, colour is excellent though so the imagery is really impactful. The only issue I had oddly was the most anime aspect of the story
    the magic kid who goes all Attack-on-Titan at the end, it just doesn't fit that universe
    . Especially at just 7 episodes it's short enough that upfront time investment is quite low and the return high imho.

So gave Akashic Records Of Bastard Magic Instructor a blast over the last couple of nights. It's borderline ecchi but with a genuinely interesting story, and violent enough to not be aimed at kids. If you can get over the fact that half of it consists of oogling and talking about relations with what I can imagine are under 18's but ok by Japanese standards, then the rest is pretty good. Magic school, lazy young teacher, uptight rich kids not liking it, teacher becomes loved, backstory, yadda yadda. The usual stuff, but just good enough to keep me watching till the end, which does seem a bit rushed, and definitely intentions of a second season.

I watched that a while ago. I wouldn't hold out hope for more, I think it was a manga advertisement. I hope I'm a Spider isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I watched that a while ago. I wouldn't hold out hope for more, I think it was a manga advertisement. I hope I'm a Spider isn't the same.

Pity the LNs haven't gotten an English release. At least Seven Seas have the manga adaptation.

Slime has to be one of the best paced anime in a long time. Others would needlessly draw a lot of it out, like MHA, but Slime
    two episodes ago "I'm going to become a demon lord" this episode minutes away from achieving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I know I'm very late to the party, but started watching Neon Geneseis Evangelion.
    That opening song is stuck in my head :D

Barna77 wrote: »
    I know I'm very late to the party, but started watching Neon Geneseis Evangelion.
    That opening song is stuck in my head :D

It's one of the all time great openings.

I almost can't believe the final Rebuild movie is out.

Slime has to be one of the best paced anime in a long time. Others would needlessly draw a lot of it out, like MHA, but Slime
    two episodes ago "I'm going to become a demon lord" this episode minutes away from achieving it.

I'm waiting on the current season to finish and binge, but yeah, definitely one of the fastest paced animes out there, and makes it really hard to watch the likes of One Piece after it!

• Advertisement

I'm waiting on the current season to finish and binge, but yeah, definitely one of the fastest paced animes out there, and makes it really hard to watch the likes of One Piece after it!
    Are you wating until October when season two part two will be over?

Are you wating until October when season two part two will be over?

If that is the case it could be spoiled if watching Slime Diaries next season.

I intend on waiting, but there's a good possibility I'll just watch up to the break. I'm already going back through other animes as I've run out of new ones that I think I'd like to watch. And with Re:Zero, Jujutsu Kaisen, World Trigger and a few more due to finish up in the next few weeks, there'll be less to watch! Half way through S2 of One Punch man again, I keep forgetting just how good it is. But I will be watching slime from the start again so that'll tie up a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's one of the all time great openings.

I almost can't believe the final Rebuild movie is out.

Didn't realise it was out So only have to wait for the dub?

I'm waiting closer to the release of the dub before I start watching any of the films.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Didn't realise it was out So only have to wait for the dub?

I'm waiting closer to the release of the dub before I start watching any of the films.

It's only out in Japanese cinemas atm. Expect the dub to be later than with previous films as it is believed that Funimation have lost the license on the Rebuild movies to GKids/Anime Limited.

GKids and Anime Limited also have the rights to the original series and are releasing it on blu-ray later this year.

Are Gkids/Anime Limited the ones that redid the version on Netflix?

Are Gkids/Anime Limited the ones that redid the version on Netflix?

Netflix redubbed that under the direct supervision of Khara.

All the scripts were done by a Khara staffer fluent in English, but not a native speaker, which is why the new dub is a complete mess.

The old ADV dub is not the most accurate, they were known for being pretty loose wrt translation, but at least it made sense grammatically in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Surely it can't take longer than 3.33 took to release.

Maybe someone here could answer why it takes so long to dub?
    Like we have series that are simuldubbed (at least during non pandemic times) and films that are released within months of their Japanese release.
    And with a highly visible franchise such as this they would work to get it out sooner than later.

Looking on wiki at the time between Japan and US release dates
    1.0 - nearly 2 years
    2.0 - nearly 2 years
    3.0 - over 3 years (supposedly they didn't like the dub script or something so had to start from scratch)

Looking at the title, it doesn't have a "(Not)"

Anyway, on topic, only anime i'm watching at the moment is Attack on Titan.

I did randomly watch Silent Voice on Netflix recently and found it really good

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Surely it can't take longer than 3.33 took to release.

Maybe someone here could answer why it takes so long to dub?
    Like we have series that are simuldubbed (at least during non pandemic times) and films that are released within months of their Japanese release.
    And with a highly visible franchise such as this they would work to get it out sooner than later.

Looking on wiki at the time between Japan and US release dates
    1.0 - nearly 2 years
    2.0 - nearly 2 years
    3.0 - over 3 years (supposedly they didn't like the dub script or something so had to start from scratch)

Looking at the title, it doesn't have a "(Not)"

Anyway, on topic, only anime i'm watching at the moment is Attack on Titan.

I did randomly watch Silent Voice on Netflix recently and found it really good

3.0 was dubbed within months and had a US cinema release of the dub.

Representatives of Khara were at the premier and were aghast at the dub.

This caused the home release, 3.33, to be entirely redubbed under strict supervision from Khara. The massive delay to the home release was due to Kharas refusal to approve the new dub script.

Khara are ridiculously strict in how everything is done as seen with all the forced grammatical errors in the Netflix dub such as "Third Children".

As it was ADV had to fight Gainax tooth and nail to get that changed to "Third Child" in their original dub of the series.

Those 3 films were also released when 2 years from Japanese cinema release/broadcast was the normal window for US home release, due to the advent of simuldubbing and less restrictive hold back clauses in the licencing agreements this has been reduced to approximately 1 year.

• Advertisement

Hopefully now that streaming is more ubiquitous the sub won't be too after the JP home release, there's no chance of a cinema release here. If Funimation have lost the dub rights it's almost guaranteed there'll be a new cast and 1,2, and 3 will have to be redubbed too.

A Silent Voice is great it's one of my favourite films.

Advertisement