Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL wireless connection

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I have at home from NTL cable modem (Scientific Atlanta VOIP modem model:EPC2203) and I would like to create wireless connection in the house.
    Do you know what equipment do I need to create a wireless connection?
    Any help will be apreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

You will need a wireless router to start such as This. Are you planning to use a laptop or just move your desktop to another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Volter

DingDong wrote: »
    You will need a wireless router to start such as This. Are you planning to use a laptop or just move your desktop to another room.

Yes, I am planning to use a laptop and one more desktop as well.
    That router will be ok for this kind of connections or I need a different one?
    Do you have any idea where can I buy a cheaper router?
    Thank you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Volter wrote: »
    Yes, I am planning to use a laptop and one more desktop as well.
    That router will be ok for this kind of connections or I need a different one?
    Do you have any idea where can I buy a cheaper router?
    Thank you...
    Will the desktop be next to the modem?. If you a fairly new laptop it more that likely has a built in wireless card. As for buying komplett.ie I've always found good the links in my first post and that router should be fine. Any computer shop will have one too just ask for one that's suitable with a cable broadband network.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Argos and Maplin also sell ethernet routers with WiFi. These work with many modems including Cable.

If it has a 5th ethernet port (WAN, connects to Modem) and no DSL phone port it is generally suitable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

moving to wireless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dont forget to encrypt the wifi signal

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Eyeballs

I'm thinking of doing this as well and am new to it.
    Can I keep my ntl wired modem and run the wireless modem from that? Is it hard to set up or do I need extra fittings like an adapter for 2 ethernet outputs/

Advertisement