Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting my own child?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thanks for reading firstly,

I have dicussed the following situation with my OH and we are unsure as to the rulings of the state ect..

Basicly, we are having a child out of wedlock and when we discussed what surname the baby will have.

She seems to think that if the baby has her surname on the birth cert. then when it comes to us being married, I would have to adopt my own child in order to have its name changed to my surname.

I understand why she wants the child to have her surname as the relationship could breakdown ect. but is it true I may have to adopt?

Also, please discuss the situation regarding if we took a double barrell surname, Should it be (her surname- my surname) or (my surname - her surname)

Apologies if posted in wrong section.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The child's name can be changed by deed poll, you won't need to adopt your own child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

jamegg wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have dicussed the following situation with my OH and we are unsure as to the rulings of the state ect..

Basicly, we are having a child out of wedlock and when we discussed what surname the baby will have.

She seems to think that if the baby has her surname on the birth cert. then when it comes to us being married, I would have to adopt my own child in order to have its name changed to my surname.

I understand why she wants the child to have her surname as the relationship could breakdown ect. but is it true I may have to adopt?

Also, please discuss the situation regarding if we took a double barrell surname, Should it be (her surname- my surname) or (my surname - her surname)

I don't think there are 'rules' in place regarding the double barrelled thing.. More often than not, I think it's mammy-daddy. Speaking as a person who married a double barrelled baby, though, bear in mind that the first one seems to be the one that's dropped in the interest of simplicity - my husband only goes by the second half of proper name professionally, same with all his brothers. Doesn't help that the first half of their name is also a first name, sounds like they're just saying their middle name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jamegg wrote: »
    Hi all,

Your situation is about the only one where the surname can be changed later on the Cert.

http://www.groireland.ie/registering_a_birth.htm

The re-registration of a birth may be effected only in either of the following two circumstances:

5.1 – where the parents of a child who are not married to each other wish to have the father's details included where these details were NOT registered initially. or;

5.2 – where the parents of a child marry each other after the birth of their child.

The double barelled name is up to yourselves.

PS. If you get married there would be no need to adopt, get Guardianship etc. You get these rights automatically when you marry and you are the birth Dad.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I have no problem with the child having her surname as I don't really want it to have a double surname.

I was just of the understanding that if my OH and child were (lets say) Murphys, then when/if we get married, OH could change to my surname but the child would still be a Murphy.

So rule 5.2 in the above post is solution!

Advertisement