Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carzone.ie: breaching Irish law?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 12:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I purchased an ad for my car on carzone about a year ago. The advert made it clear that for the €30 I could keep my ad on carzone until the car was sold. The car is not sold yet, but carzone this week will not allow me to renew the advert as I have been doing on a monthly basis since I first purchased it. Carzone.ie is now demanding a fee for a renewal despite the condition under which I first purchased the ad specified that I would not have to pay an additional renewal fee for that ad.

Is anybody else now experiencing this, and is there anything that can be done?

PS: I rang and emailed Carzone.ie for the past week but they have still refused to return the call/email.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think this might be more suited to Consumer issues.

I don't see anything in their Terms and Conditions about a time limit on ads, nor that the one off fee allows for unlimited renewals. Do you have your original terms in writing, or are they on the website somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

I am having similar difficulties with carzone. I have a car on since the beginning of the year. I got newer updated photos and despite the fact the site show in "Sell your Car" section the newer photos, the old photos still appear to the people browsing. My wifes car was put on with a Sunday Times Ad total costing 100euros. I lowered the price when the sunday times bit did not get a response and even though it says the Ad is Live, it does not appear when I do a search. My appeals by email and phone do not get any replies either. At this stage I would avoid CARZONE and all its sister sites until it sorts itself out. This is no time for a business to be getting hardnosed with its clients. I also notice that the number of cars advertised on its site has reduced from 83,000 a few weeks ago to around 77,000 now. I wonder why?????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Forget emails and phone if you are not getting any satisfaction. Record all details in a clear, concise and polite manner in a solicitors letter to the company. Alert them to the fact that you are preparing to escalate the issue unless there is a resolution.

Make sure that you have a record of all communications between you and carzone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A solicitors letter will cost more than the €30 spent on the ad.
    You sure that's a good idea?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

micmclo wrote: »
    A solicitors letter will cost more than the €30 spent on the ad.
    You sure that's a good idea?

I;d agree, solicitors letter does not appear to be the most efficent course of action for this :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Same thread is running in motors
    Dermo123 wrote: »
    I am having similar difficulties with carzone. I have a car on since the beginning of the year. I got newer updated photos and despite the fact the site show in "Sell your Car" section the newer photos, the old photos still appear to the people browsing.

This would tie in with my theory that I posted on the motors thread:

"I think the cause of all this is the dealers that are advertising there. Instead of taking out new ads when they sell, they edit the details and put another car up - thereby effectively getting free advertising.
    I'd say carzone is trying to put a stop to this and if complaints from a few users is the only side effect then it's worth it from their point of view."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I agree on the solicitors letter too, they're not worth the paper they're written on and anyone with any kind of clue knows that. However a letter in your own hand (or typewriter, or computer) serves the same purpose and shows them you mean business. Send it by recorded delivery to the Company Secretary. Copy it to the Secretary of AutoTrader, their parent company.

If that doesn't work, take them to Small Claims Court for a refund of the original placement, explaining that the service wasn't as described. That'll only cost you a tenner.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

yea you could do that or you could just call them...
    AudiChris wrote: »
    OP, how hard did you really try to investigate this query before you posted here??

I just contacted Carzone via telephone (during lunchtime, no less). It was answered by a chap called David in 3 or 4 rings, he was able to confirm over the phone that anyone with an ad that was put up before the pricing change will remain under their original agreement. All they need to do is contact Carzone and they'll have their account/ad amended to the original terms and conditions.

Please phone them at 01 449 0650 and put this thread out of its misery...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cabaal wrote: »
    I;d agree, solicitors letter does not appear to be the most efficent course of action for this :)

Sorry, typo there. Meant to say registered letter!

Typing in morning before coffee not good for dudara.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

steve06 wrote: »
    yea you could do that or you could just call them...
    OP wrote:
    Hi.

I purchased an ad for my car on carzone about a year ago. The advert made it clear that for the €30 I could keep my ad on carzone until the car was sold. The car is not sold yet, but carzone this week will not allow me to renew the advert as I have been doing on a monthly basis since I first purchased it. Carzone.ie is now demanding a fee for a renewal despite the condition under which I first purchased the ad specified that I would not have to pay an additional renewal fee for that ad.

Is anybody else now experiencing this, and is there anything that can be done?

PS: I rang and emailed Carzone.ie for the past week but they have still refused to return the call/email.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement