Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of Cigarettes.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the worst part is the gradual increase that addicts can get used to
    a big 100% increase in one go every few years would sort out a lot of those unsure whether to give up or not, and the addicts will pay up no matter what

the gradual rise is about revenue not about helping giving up for that a big step up is needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

themont85 wrote: »
    Are you not contradicting yourself?

I agree about a new anti smoking campaign. I actually think one aimed at showing young people how easy it is to slip into the habit. Starts by having one with a drink just to try, no harm done they think. Then they associate it with drinking and can't drink without them and the downward spiral begins. Most young people think they'll never be addicted and its just a 'social' thing to do.

Not really contradicting myself, just think I may have worded it wrong ;). What I was saying was, the price increase (if it does happen) will probably only result in fewer children taking up the habit -which can be seen as a positive or meh depending on your morals. Its not going to help or assist in any way, the problem of the current smokers who can't kick the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

This post has been deleted.

I've always found that smokers get extremely defensive about it, 'its my choice' blah blah blah and 'sure i'm paying for the health service in taxes'.

Kiith wrote: »
    Maybe they can use the extra money to clean up after you filthy ****ers. Stop throwing the butts of your cigarettes on the ground, and use a bin for gods sake.

Once again this is a fine example of what the smoking lobby suggestions create. You wanted cafes and pubs smoke free? Fine, now its on the ****in streets instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Ass Face wrote: »
    This is getting a tad bit fucking ridiculous. They're thinking of raising the price of a pack of 20 Cigarettes to over €8.00. I bet none of the people calling for these increased prices are smokers. They all deserve a good stab in the face. There's nothing worse than a righteous non-smoker. They're worse than the vegetarians.

thats why you buy the smuggled ones.. feck the govt and there mad taxes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

patrickc wrote: »
    feck the govt
    Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

my point exactly Solitaryman666, put it this way, if a thief steals your money (excessive tax on cigs), and you steal it back (buy your cigs elsewhere), does that make you a thief too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

DarkJager wrote: »
    Once again this is a fine example of what the smoking lobby suggestions create. You wanted cafes and pubs smoke free? Fine, now its on the ****in streets instead.
    I have no problems with people smoking outside. But is it so hard to use the bins that are about 5 feet away from you? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I've always found that smokers get extremely defensive about it, 'its my choice' blah blah blah and 'sure i'm paying for the health service in taxes'.

But non smokers are the inconsiderate ones, who dare they complain about being forced to partake in a smokers habit.

Then ban it in public places like they did with drinking, smoke at home and inflict Cancer on your kids.

Not really contradicting myself, just think I may have worded it wrong ;). What I was saying was, the price increase (if it does happen) will probably only result in fewer children taking up the habit -which can be seen as a positive or meh depending on your morals. Its not going to help or assist in any way, the problem of the current smokers who can't kick the habit.

Ye i know what your were trying to say and i'd agree to an extent as regards current smokers. But at this stage they should really be targeting teenagers at about 16 or 17. All the anti-smoking stuff we heard was when we were in 6th class and it was highly unlikely(in most cases) that we'd be starting then. The message is lost I think to a certain extent at 16 or so when a lot of people begin to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've read some of those threads too, and yeah I have seen evidence of that. But this thread is different: look at the very first post:
    I bet none of the people calling for these increased prices are smokers. They all deserve a good stab in the face. There's nothing worse than a righteous non-smoker.
    I would certainly call that "having a go".
    I don't think the Government want us to really stop smoking because of the amount of Revenue it generates.

I guess it depends on how much do smokers cost the health system vs. how much revenue they generate. Which ever figure is higher will influence whether they want you to give up or not.
    They certainly don't care about the health of every individual (and tbh, neither do I! :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tax on smoking is a tax on God!

But non smokers are the inconsiderate ones, who dare they complain about being forced to partake in a smokers habit.

Sorry I don't get what your trying to say?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Maybe they can use the extra money to clean up after you filthy ****ers. Stop throwing the butts of your cigarettes on the ground, and use a bin for gods sake.
    I have no problems with people smoking outside. But is it so hard to use the bins that are about 5 feet away from you? :confused:

in dublin theres plenty of bins and ill always hold my cig till i find one, but in carlow theres feck all bins, and sumtimes a drain has to do

Sarcasm....I agree with what you were saying smokers do tend to get defensive as soon as anything negative is mentioned about smoking and their instat response is that non smokers are on their high horse. Truth is they have every right to be on a high horse if they chose to be, they were not stupid enough to get addicted in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think he's trying to say if you don't like his fire then don't come around!

robinph wrote: »
    @ DarkJager: You went on for ages trying to tell us that it wouldn't make any difference if they increased the price. The you end by telling us that the main reason that you quit yourself was because of the price?

I must have missed something in your train of thought there, but it didn't make sense to me.

Just saw this now. Once again apologies! I'm quite tired so some of my posts aren't as coherent as I'd like them to be :)

What I was (trying) to say, is that in my experience, I've only realised now being off them how much money I'm actually saving. My actualv reason for quitting was really down to my health and the way I could see the effect they were having on me. I smoked for nearly 10 years! And getting up every morning trying to catch your breath and coughing for 10 minutes is not very nice I can tell you! Suppose I spooked myself into stopping after I started reading about emphysema (sp?).

Google that. Why on earth would you want to inflict something so hideous upon yourself for no reason at all? Most smokers only hear about the lung and throat cancer, but when you really look into it, some of the less publicised stuff that can happen you is really shocking.

Sarcasm....I agree with what you were saying smokers do tend to get defensive as soon as anything negative is mentioned about smoking and their instat response is that non smokers are on their high horse. Truth is they have every right to be on a high horse if they chose to be, they were not stupid enough to get addicted in the first place.

Nah man i wasn't trying to be sarcastic i just didn't get what you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I heard smoking gives people teh aids!

Nah man i wasn't trying to be sarcastic i just didn't get what you said.

I was being sarcastic....either it doesn't come across well in writing or it's too late for me to make a decent effort at it. :pac:

• Advertisement

*EXHALES*

AH.....

Now, for all my fellow smokers, boards.ie does have a lovely smoking area. All you have to do is ask me via pm if you can come in, where we can debate silly matters like non-smokers and taxes. (not to mention subtle blends, pipes, cigars and shish pipes etc...)

Papa S.

I was being sarcastic....either it doesn't come across well in writing or it's too late for me to make a decent effort at it. :pac:

Ah i getcha now...

Papa Smut wrote: »
    *EXHALES*

AH.....

Now, for all my fellow smokers, boards.ie does have a lovely smoking area. All you have to do is ask me via pm if you can come in, where we can debate silly matters like non-smokers and taxes. (not to mention subtle blends, pipes, cigars and shish pipes etc...)

Papa S.

:eek: Glamourising smoking! On the internet!! Where vulnerable people could be reading and think that smoking is, dare I say, cool!!! Well, I never...

You, sir, are a disgrace. :mad: I would like access to your forum so I (with my clean lungs) can preach to you and mend your sinful, smoky ways. Sound good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If the government is using the health issues to excuse increases on smokers how about they tax junk food. Fat and obese people put as much of a strain on the health services and the don't pay anywhere as much in tax as a smoker.

We all know smokers die younger and are taxed heavily. Ask any economist, smokers are net contributors. Yes they may have health care costs due to smoking but it's offset by decreased years claiming state pensions, bus passes and paying people to wipe their butts like non smokers filling up nursing years for an extra twenty years on average.

:eek: Glamourising smoking! On the internet!! Where vulnerable people could be reading and think that smoking is, dare I say, cool!!! Well, I never...

You, sir, are a disgrace. :mad: I would like access to your forum so I (with my clean lungs) can preach to you and mend your sinful, smoky ways. Sound good?

Ehhh.... no

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If the government is using the health issues to excuse increases on smokers how about they tax junk food. Fat and obese people put as much of a strain on the health services and the don't pay anywhere as much in tax as a smoker.

We all know smokers die younger and are taxed heavily. Ask any economist, smokers are net contributors. Yes they may have health care costs due to smoking but it's offset by decreased years claiming state pensions, bus passes and paying people to wipe their butts like non smokers filling up nursing years for an extra twenty years on average.

The simple solution is Euthanasia!

My parent spend €160 a week on fags between them, yet they see a problem giving me a loan of €40 because "I'm not ****tin' money", therefore I believe their smoking to be more important than my sex, which I think is just crazy.

My parent spend €160 a week on fags between them, yet they see a problem giving me a loan of €40 because "I'm not ****tin' money", therefore I believe their smoking to be more important than my sex, which I think is just crazy.

You need to borrow €40 from your parents to have sex? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Great news, anyone who smokes deserves to be punched in the face.
    Anyone who says this deserves to be knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

As the famous comedian Bill Hicks once said - before he died of cancer in his early 30's

"I smoke, if this bothers anyone i suggest you look around the world we live in, and shut the Fcuk up"

The man was a legend
    I havent smoked in years but i do not agree with putting it all on smokers
    drinkers are just as bad, what about the money the health service are paying for drunks
    Have you not seen a A&E on a Friday and saturday night. Drinking is a hel of a lot worse.

Another Bill Hicks quote to describe what im saying

"You gotta understand something, first of all I don't do anything else, now I don't drink, now a lot of your non-smokers are drinking ok? I'm a non-drinker and I smoke, now to me we're trading off vices, that seems fair to me.

'Yeh, no it's not no it's not! Why should our lives be threatened by your nasty habit, nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh...'

Yeah but you know what, I can't kill anyone in a car because I'm smoking a ****ing cigarette, alright? and I've tried, turn off all the lights and rush em they always see the glow, 'man there's a big firefly heading this way, **** it's knocking over shrubs!'"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

pajodublin wrote: »
    As the famous comedian Bill Hicks once said - before he died of cancer in his early 30's

He died of liver cancer......

Advertisement