Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended sentence for man involved in 'Love Ulster' riots

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I have wondered something since this happened. Was the govt being incredibly smart or incredibly dumb in allowing this to go ahead.

Smart, by letting it go ahead they knew there would be war of some sorts (maybe not to the scale of actual events or maybe they expected worse) and thusly would be free to put a stop to orange marches in the future of the same ilk

Dumb, well thats obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rioting is often given lenient sentencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Victor wrote: »
    Rioting is often given lenient sentencing.

when?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

With the Lansdowne Road riot, many of them received sentences of 6-8 weeks, while the rest were just deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

why

If you're going to drag up threads two months old, please have something better to contribute to the discussion than just "why?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

2-D Man wrote: »
    One of the banners at the march had the name of Robert Nairac, a notorious SAS murderer on it.

Oh yeah, tell me more about this notorious murderer ................

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

A Ballybrack man receieved a three-year suspended sentence at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court for his role in the 'Love Ulster' riots in the city centre two years ago.

John King, (aged 32) of Ceder Court, pleaded guilty to violent disorder on February 25, 2006 on O'Connell Street.

Detective Garda Damien Maher told Judge Tony Hunt that he saw King throw a large brick directly at members of an garda siochana that were standing about 10 feet away from him.

King was arrested and later gave a false name and address to Gda Maher in the station.

Judge Hunt suspended the three year jail term on condition that King keep the peace and be of good behaviour for five years.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidkfojsnkf/

Thought this was completely out of order. Is it normal to brick a police officer from 10 feet and get a suspended sentence? I think three years serving would have been too harsh but to get nothing seems nuts and sends jsut the message the anti-irish loyalists want to hear.

Just for record I think Willie Fraser is nothing but a troublemaker who probably saw the riot coming. Doesn't justify this though

A suspended sentence is not nothing - if he commits another offence he will serve the sentence. I agree with nesf - if this guy has learned his lesson he won't do anything like this again, thus justice is served. If he hasn't then he will probably get caught again in the 5 years and will have to serve the 3 years plus whatever he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,203 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Camelot wrote: »

http://gaskinbalrog.blogspot.com/2006/01/robert-nairac-death-of-butcher.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Camelot wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Nairac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Seems as if he was just as bad as the people who shot him, and I never knew about the UVF collusion 'allegations' until now.......

Looks like he was a bad egg according to Wikipedia, but I still dont know if he was a "Notorious Murderer"?

Advertisement