Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illness Benefit Q

• 14-10-2008 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

Am I correct in thinking that you must actually apply for Illness Benefit rather than be offered it?

I know this is a very stupid question but it seems that I am being offered this payment (via post to my home adress) by the Dept. of Social and Family Affairs. I had encephalitis in Sept. 06 and suffered very negligible brain damage, but I am medically brain damaged and must declare this for health insurance, car insurance etc etc. I am aware that I can receive some benefit if I stop working all together. I have never applied for this benefit. At the time of my illness I was a student and now I am a professional with a secure job. I am a member of the Long Term Illness Scheme (Cushing's Disease) however, perhaps this is linked in some way?

Is it reasonable for me to be concerned that I am receiving correspondence encouraging me to quit my job and collect this benefit?

:/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that you must actually apply for Illness Benefit rather than be offered it?
    Normally yes.
    Is it reasonable for me to be concerned that I am receiving correspondence encouraging me to quit my job and collect this benefit?
    DSFA have moved tolooking at people as customers and part of the job is to inform people of thigns that they may be entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Victor wrote: »
    Normally yes.

DSFA have moved tolooking at people as customers and part of the job is to inform people of thigns that they may be entitled to.

Thanks for the reply Victor. I did not realise that this is the case. I am a little concerned that they have access to my health records without me first inquiring though. It just seems really strange, almost like someone is trying to scam me. /internet paranoia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Victor. I did not realise that this is the case. I am a little concerned that they have access to my health records without me first inquiring though. It just seems really strange, almost like someone is trying to scam me. /internet paranoia
    I presume it is because of the Long Term Illness Scheme - is this run by the HSE?

If you are concerned, talk to them. Is it possible a parent or someone else applied on your behalf

I finally managed to talk to someone in the DoFSA regarding this issue this morning. The person in question did not seem willing to tell me why I had been contacted and said that they had nothing to do with the LTI scheme, as this was run by the HSE. He kept repeating that if I cut my hours down to 10 a week I could get half of the benefit though:rolleyes:!

I've made an appt. to see the officer in the Social Welfare office for Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

to get illness benefit you would have to get a medical cert from your doctor to start the claim then send certs off every week to DSFA.are you sure its Illness benefit coz you cant get it and work (unless u get an exception from DSFA and u have to apply for that aswel and ur doctor would need to fill out the exception form).

• Advertisement

It says Illness Benefit on all of the letters (7 in total, this has been going on weeks), I thought at first they confused Illness with Disability. I've never looked for any forms from my GP or anything for this:(

Advertisement