Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post of the Day

Options
  • 14-10-2008 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

An excellent edition to the site. I presume it's based on the most thanks received and it has so far provided a fair few laughs (antodeco's AH post about the bloke who's bird 'has a ld') as well as some general appreciation (the current PotD which is a fantastic photograph from Borderfox).

Anyway, just wanted to give some feedback and say cheers for implementing it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Borderfox's photo is amazing...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Ponster wrote: »
    Borderfox's photo is amazing...

god dammit being banmed from photography is killing me....

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You're welcome.

Planning to do another filter for the first page that lists the most thanked posts in the last 24 hours / 2 days / week / or whatever works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

On the subject of "thanks", is there a limited amount you can give per day/week.

When i administer "thanks" i am redirected to the eh.. no access page.

Think I have it set to 25 / day at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

CuLT wrote: »

Right, but i have never given that amount of thanks in one day. I was redirected after my first thanks today.

And I would thank you for that but...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thought it was 10?
    Did you up it recently?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yep, thought it was 10 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Where would one find this post of the day ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Jip wrote: »
    Where would one find this post of the day ?

Top menu -> Boards.ie -> post of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Nice little feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Cheers Steve, I looked for it all over the front page but obviously not under the boards.ie drop down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

two things

1 post of the day is from yesterday

2 a post/thread of the day archive would be cool and get posters into more fora (is it fora ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

Is the post of the day icon now missing from the boards.ie drop-down menu for anyone else or just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tigger wrote: »
    1 post of the day is from yesterday

It couldn't really be from today though cause no post would have more than a few thanks until the afternoon at the very earliest.
    Is the post of the day icon now missing from the boards.ie drop-down menu for anyone else or just me?

Still there for me.

You're welcome.

Planning to do another filter for the first page that lists the most thanked posts in the last 24 hours / 2 days / week / or whatever works.
    Got around to this today:

http://www.boards.ie/?filter=thanks

Accessible from the dropdown filters on the front page. It's cached for an hour at the moment (doesn't change for an hour), just figuring out the dynamics.

Post of the day isn't available historically yet because it's not actually stored anywhere other than in the menu which is generated and just written to physical disk every night at midnight (I think?). Will get some historical stuff going eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

brilliant idea

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Post of the day isn't available historically yet because it's not actually stored anywhere other than in the menu which is generated and just written to physical disk every night at midnight (I think?). Will get some historical stuff going eventually.

Cool. That will be handy. Any chance the filter could be integrated with the advanced search rather than being a separate feature so that you can pick most thanked posts from a particular forum between certain dates and so on? For the stat nerds among us. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

not sure if this is possible - but would be nice to be able to subscribe to the post of the day in the 'subbed' menu.

/ great idea btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr. Poker Tilt

not sure if this is possible - but would be nice to be able to subscribe to the post of the day in the 'subbed' menu.

/ great idea btw

+1

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Merc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Whats today's potd? I want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A classic potd today:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Out of interest, how is 'thread of the day' decided?

Just wondering as sometimes they're not the most amazing threads ever (today for example). Or maybe I just have really high expectations of boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That's just generated randomly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Ah okay. I was just comparing it with Pighead's cracker under 'POTD'.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah okay. I was just comparing it with Pighead's cracker under 'POTD'.

Aye, that was a great one :)
    The thread of the day just doesn't compare at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

how many threads would be on boards.ie as a whole. just wondering the odds for thread of the day... i know, i know

• Advertisement

queen-mise wrote: »
    how many threads would be on boards.ie as a whole. just wondering the odds for thread of the day... i know, i know
    A million.

... seriously, just over a million. Maybe 1.2 off the top of my head.

Advertisement