Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Ibiza (VAG COM), driving test, Nooo!

Options
  • 14-10-2008 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

Need a bit of help here, car is an 06 Seat Ibiza
    2 warning lights appeared on the dash the other day, the engine light and the EPC light.

Was getting the car ready as my younger brother is doing his driving test in it on Thursday. One of the brake lights wasn't working, got the right one (its definitely the right one), replaced it, checked water/oil/coolant/tyre pressure etc., all fine.
    Started the car and got the 2 lights on the dash. Brake lights are still working fine. Checked online and found common issue of brake switch fault. Got one and replaced it, still have the same issue.
    Looking for the VAG COM, I found a connector I think is the connection, its purple, D shaped, about 2 inches long, below the steering wheel on the right, is that it?

As I won't be able to get the cable until next week at the earliest, is there any chance the driving tester may not let my bro do the test, even though everything is working on the car?

Also does anyone know what Seat's warranty is on a 2006 Ibiza?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Pull out the fuses for the warning lights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds (make sure you have the radio code if needed before doing this) then reconnect.

Should clear the lights from the dash, but if there is an ongoing problem they will come back. If you've resolved the issues they should stay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

Go to a VAG dealer and get them to clear the dtc's get a quote first I know a lad got it done for €50.

jO-)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Warranty on a 2006 Seat is 2 years afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

lafors wrote: »
    is there any chance the driving tester may not let my bro do the test, even though everything is working on the car?

Straight from the RSA regarding warning lights and the driving test.
    i) Your test will not be conducted/completed, as appropriate, if any system warning light comes on during the test.
    Your word would also not suffice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Disconnecting the battery was a no no for me, the feckin dealer never wrote the code on the card in the manual, and I checked the radio and its in safe mode (i.e. protected by code), need to get onto about it.

So I got an Elmscan 5 USB + OBD-II connection off a lad in work, then downloaded the open source Scantool_net software.

Connected to the d-shaped connection in the car, set the com port, then read the codes.

The error code displayed was for the brake switch fault, exactly what I replaced. I cleared the code. Restarted the car a good few times and its not come back on, sweet :)

Now hopefully it stays away :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Where in Dublin are you, I could clear the lights with vag-com for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Neilw wrote: »
    Where in Dublin are you, I could clear the lights with vag-com for you.

Thanks for the offer :D
    I got a loan of one off a lad in work already :)

What would we do without havin the oul "lad in work" to help us out in hard times ;)

Advertisement