Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT, whats going on, anyone else getting issues even now

Options
  • 14-10-2008 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I have had problems with BT for the last two months, keeps cutting off on average 5 time an hour and getting really really slow speeds, close to dial up. Sometimes the speeds are at max 6mb download, other times they are 100k. Pings are really high.

I have rang them at least ten times now, it takes hours to get them after going in queue and sometimes they dont even ring back. I have tried sending emails, they take four days to reply and just keep spamming me an auto response. Each time they find another way to get rid of me for that day but problem never goes away.
    They have made me move my router downstairs, didnt work, back on to queue.
    They have made me reboot rooter, didnt work, back to queue.
    They have made me restart router to factory settings....back to queue.
    They blamed Eircom......said they would fix soon, nothing, back to queue.
    They made me unplug every phone in the house, back to queue.
    They have blamed everything they can think of by now and I have wasted hours, if not days on to their useless support.

The other day after I got them asking for a refund for last month, they said they cant give me a refund until troubleshooting steps are complete!, then some bloke hung up on me and I had to go back to the end of the queue, they wont have my business much longer.

I just cant beleive a company can get away with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 qbasic

Might be your only option...

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

jack222 wrote: »
    I have had problems with BT for the last two months, keeps cutting off on average 5 time an hour and getting really really slow speeds, close to dial up. Sometimes the speeds are at max 6mb download, other times they are 100k. Pings are really high.

I have rang them at least ten times now, it takes hours to get them after going in queue and sometimes they dont even ring back. I have tried sending emails, they take four days to reply and just keep spamming me an auto response. Each time they find another way to get rid of me for that day but problem never goes away.
    They have made me move my router downstairs, didnt work, back on to queue.
    They have made me reboot rooter, didnt work, back to queue.
    They have made me restart router to factory settings....back to queue.
    They blamed Eircom......said they would fix soon, nothing, back to queue.
    They made me unplug every phone in the house, back to queue.
    They have blamed everything they can think of by now and I have wasted hours, if not days on to their useless support.

The other day after I got them asking for a refund for last month, they said they cant give me a refund until troubleshooting steps are complete!, then some bloke hung up on me and I had to go back to the end of the queue, they wont have my business much longer.

I just cant beleive a company can get away with this.

Sounds like your line cant cope with the speeds. have they tried downgrading your line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

Bohrio wrote: »
    Sounds like your line cant cope with the speeds. have they tried downgrading your line?

Apparently they have downgraded my speeds to 2 mb, this is despite the fact that I used to be on 3mb for two years with no issues.

Still, I can at times get speedtests results of 6000kbs on speedtest, even though they way they have downed my speeds.

I have told them this a million times but it just goes in one ear and out the next. If I go on net at like 2am, there are no issues whatsoever.

Apparently they have downgraded my speeds to 2 mb, this is despite the fact that I used to be on 3mb for two years with no issues.

Still, I can at times get speedtests results of 6000kbs on speedtest, even though they way they have downed my speeds.

I have told them this a million times but it just goes in one ear and out the next. If I go on net at like 2am, there are no issues whatsoever.

That's weird... how can you be gettings speeds of over 6000 kbps being on a 2 mb connection...

can you check your router sync rate?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are your line stats?

By the way you should write a formal written letter to the Chief Executive of BT documenting how badly you have been treated and include in it that you are sending a copy of it to Joe Duffy etc etc. Amazing sometimes how effective an old fashioned letter to the top person can be. You could mention in it that you are writing it while on the queue yet again!!!!

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    What are your line stats?

By the way you should write a formal written letter to the Chief Executive of BT documenting how badly you have been treated and include in it that you are sending a copy of it to Joe Duffy etc etc. Amazing sometimes how effective an old fashioned letter to the top person can be. You could mention in it that you are writing it while on the queue yet again!!!!

This is impossible, they wont give me a full refund, just a few days

I dont even care about the money, its the principal

This is impossible, they wont give me a full refund, just a few days

I dont even care about the money, its the principal

We are still waiting for your line stats

We are still waiting for your line stats

Why would I give you my line stats......

I have given BT everything they asked for, shouldnt those monkeys be fixing the issue

Why would I give you my line stats......

I have given BT everything they asked for, shouldnt those monkeys be fixing the issue

Sorry I though you were looking for help.

Now I see you only wanted to express your discomfort... that's alright then. No point in reading any further.

Sorry I though you were looking for help.

Now I see you only wanted to express your discomfort... that's alright then. No point in reading any further.

Dude, I go to BT support to fix my issue, its their responsibility to do this, not yours. I find it bizarre that an X-bt employee is roaming an internet forum trying to help BT customers.

I am here to let people know how bad BT support is, how bad their service is and how bad they treat their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I wrote an email to Comreg on the back of all these problems with BT. I'm on basic package with them and have constantly dropped connections. They will intervene once a formal complaint has been lodged with BT - I will post their response when I get to my home PC - assuming my connection is working!

Dude, I go to BT support to fix my issue, its their responsibility to do this, not yours. I find it bizarre that an X-bt employee is roaming an internet forum trying to help BT customers.

I am here to let people know how bad BT support is, how bad their service is and how bad they treat their customers.

That is what people do here, help each other. If you look back you will see that I wasnt the one who ask for your line stats

Anyway I am starting to think you might not even have broadband with BT at all and that you are just a moaney hole, sad.

Transfer speeds of 6000 kbps on a 2048 kbps line??? Makes no sense... no wonder you dont want to post your line stats... I have the feeling you are not being honest here....

Dont bother replying I wont be reading this thread anymore. good luck to you

Oh and I did worked for BT a few years back. But it was BT UK

That is what people do here, help each other. If you look back you will see that I wasnt the one who ask for your line stats

Anyway I am starting to think you might not even have broadband with BT at all and that you are just a moaney hole, sad.

Transfer speeds of 6000 kbps on a 2048 kbps line??? Makes no sense... no wonder you dont want to post your line stats... I have the feeling you are not being honest here....

Dont bother replying I wont be reading this thread anymore. good luck to you

Oh yes, Im making it all up for the fun...man you are an idiot....makes sense, you did work for BT

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Oh yes, Im making it all up for the fun...man you are an idiot....makes sense, you did work for BT

Poor little man... you are looking to be banned again...

You get 6 mb transfer on a 2 mb line and Bohrio is the idiot here? hehehe

Anyway not that bohrio should be bothered to be honest... at leat his broadband works...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lads give it a rest!,

jack222, if you posted a thread to rant then thats fine, however its normal for people on this board to try and help people that post and for the record it was dub45 who asked for your line stats.

Yes I'd agree that its BT's job to resolve your issue but at the same time it can't hurt to accept help from people on this board who may actually resolve your issue or at the very least advise you on how you can approach BT about it.

For the record its perfectly normal for ISP's to ask customers to reboot equipment, move equipment to main socket, unplug everything in the house...this is all outlined in the charter/FAQ and how important it is.

While I;m sure your frustrated if you don';t want to get help on this board then your post is falling on def ears as BT don't as far as I know actively resolve customer complaints that are posted on boards.ie, as such any complaint should be lodged through the correct channels with BT Ireland.

if a person who has support experience with an ISP wants to assist other boards users this is a positive thing.

Next one to post any sort of personal abuse earns themselfs a ban.

Finally, in relation to your line it sounds like its on a upto 7.6MB profile and it can't manage this profile so its going all over the place, this would explain the disconnection issues and slow speeds as they happen when the line is trying to keep a connection. Physical connections within your premises are a very likely cause but failing that it could be a line fault.
    Also the attitude that its worked for years before doesn't carry any weight, things break and it still needs to be troubleshooted and your line stats would be the best thing you could post to start this.

Cabaal,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

From Comreg:

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Any problems with your broadband service needs to be directed to your own provider. Please proceed with a formal complaint as below, so that we might address the matter with BT.

ComReg can become involved in the resolution of individual cases only when the customer has first lodged a formal complaint with the operator in question.
    To lodge a formal complaint, I advise you to proceed as outlined below:

• Contact BT complaints on 1904,
    • say you have been advised by ComReg to lodge a formal complaint (use those exact words),
    • say you want a complaint reference number and the name of the person you are speaking to,
    • give details of complaint.

If the company does not respond to the complaint within 10 working days, you can contact ComReg with the complaint reference number/name, and we will then escalate the matter on your behalf.

Should you have any other queries or require any other assistance from me you can call our Consumer Team on 1890 229668. Your ComReg case number is NNNNNN.

Yours sincerely,

You know I have told them several times I am still getting dl speeds of 6000kbs, even though they tell me I am on 2mb speeds. It does not good, they dont seem to hear me, these people are complete idiots.

They say, how do you know your speed, I say I check on speedtest.net and the line goes quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

As everyone keeps saying to you jack, if you just went to your router config page and looked at the line stats you would have a DEFINITIVE answer to which package you are on in just a few seconds. Seems like you'd rather start an argument than do anything about fixing it though.

You are missing the point,

I dont expect to have to do anything. I pay for broadband that works, if it doesnt work, BT should be fixing it. simple.

I have done everything they asked to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Jack, did you give BT your line stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Way to go. Alienate one of the only people who might be able to actually help you.

I cancelled BT over these issues, but at all times I was friendly and assisted those looking into the problem whenever I could, and I can pretty much say you have just lost your best hope at getting this resolved.

Advertisement