Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Defender Failed to Start

• 14-10-2008 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have a Windows 2003 server that has been infected with spyware. Im trying to install Windows Defender to remove it but I keep getting an error saying Service Windows Defender Failed to start. Verify you have sufficient privilages.

The server has McAfee installed on it also.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Verify you have sufficient privilages

Are you logged in on an administrator account?

If it were me, I would download Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft Ad-aware. Install Spybot, update it, and scan your computer. Then do the same for Ad-aware. These programs work much better than Windows Defender at removing spyware.

If you have problems installing it, download the detection updates/virus definitions for both of these programs. Then switch to safe mode and try installing the programs. Since you are in safe mode the internet will not work, which is why you need to download the detection updates seperatly.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

charlesD wrote: »
    Are you logged in on an administrator account?

If it were me, I would download Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft Ad-aware. Install Spybot, update it, and scan your computer. Then do the same for Ad-aware. These programs work much better than Windows Defender at removing spyware.

If you have problems installing it, download the detection updates/virus definitions for both of these programs. Then switch to safe mode and try installing the programs. Since you are in safe mode the internet will not work, which is why you need to download the detection updates seperatly.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Charles,
    Ive logged in as the domain Admin and Ive installed SpyBot and the updates. However when I try to launch SpyBot nothing happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Sometimes it can take a little while to load, but go ahead and try switching to safe mode.

Restart the computer and press F8 while it is booting. you should see a text screen that has several options, the top most option being to start windows in safe mode. After you start windows and log in, it will ask you if you want to continue in safe mode, just click yes.

After you are logged into safe mode, try running spybot.

Advertisement