Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite comic homage/tributes?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 9:35am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was surprised and delighted to see that last Sunday's Sheldon strip was a Krazy Kat homage, and a particularly good one at that.

I thought it might be fun for everyone to share their favourite homage strips, preferably from webcomics since that means we can see them directly but print comics are ok too. (Please don't post any illegal scans, although material from official previews like Newsarama, CBR etc is fine).

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A couple of print-based examples have occured to me - issue 10 of Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. (the Forbush-Vision issue) where not one but five artists are homaged in turn (Adrian Tomine, Paul Pope, Mike Mignola, and I forget the other two).

Another example would be the "Little Nemo" homages in Sandman - I can't remember what issues they were in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I like the issue of Madman were Allred pays homage to tons of legendary guys (Miller, Bolland, Mignola, Moebius...) by drawing each panel in that a particular artist's style.
    Bloody insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Its only a small little thing but I liked the way in early issues of Generation X they ate Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs a little homage to Calvin and Hobbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Rick Veitch did a bunch of Curt Swan era superman homages in the short lived Supreme: The Return series written by Alan Moore. There was also a Jack Kirby tribute in issue 6 which was one of the most touching comic books I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

More of a parody, than a homage, but I do like Mad Magazine's version of Calvin and Hobbes, featuring Steve Jobs of Apple - Calvin and Jobs

http://gizmodo.com/5033627/calvin-and-jobs-kick-steves-nuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tim Bowden

I like The End of the Art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

The Nextwave artist Stuart Immonen is a great chameleon, his take of superman al a Winsor Mccay.

Mad magazine homages parodies deserve a thread of their own.

Veteran day's Peanuts strip always had a page drawn by Guy Mauldin the WW2 cartoonist which are always awesome.

Advertisement