Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Voltage Display help.

Options
  • 14-10-2008 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Would I be right in thinking that if the volt meter is moving between 12v and 14v randomly while driving, then it is a bad thing?

Should it always be displaying a voltage higher than the battery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Jumpy wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking that if the volt meter is moving between 12v and 14v randomly while driving, then it is a bad thing?

Should it always be displaying a voltage higher than the battery?

Yea it should read a fairly steady reading... it will vary a little when you switch in major electrical loads, but not that much... it may also vary a little with engine RPM, but still not that much...

The first thing to do would be to check if the volt meter is connected correctly.... you could also pop on a cheap hand held volt meter and drive around and see if it changes also...

You would expect 13.5V +/- a few percent...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its not the volt meter, the headlights dim as well when it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You should be getting between 14.0VDC and 14.5VDC at idle, usually you should have no trouble getting 14.3VDC to 14.5VDC...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jumpy wrote: »
    Its not the volt meter, the headlights dim as well when it happens.

It sounds like a bad connection if it happens when driving.

Have you checked to make sure all the connections are good and there's no corrsion around the battery. I'd diconnect the battery and sand the termials and inside the clamps. Reconnect and cover with grease and see if that cures it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I assumed it was the alternator, but when removed and tested there was nothing at all wrong with it.

I have replaced the battery, the terminals and the alternator belt.

But the little fecker still does it at the most inoppurtune moments.

If it stays at 12v then the car will eventually cut out and the battery has to be manually charged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement