Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing Ceiling

Options
  • 14-10-2008 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a little advice on fixing a ceiling.
    We had a leak down the side of the tiles in our shower which caused a bit of ceiling damage downstairs. This caused damp damage on the ceiling.
    We have since put sealant on the tiles to good effect and happy to say the leak has been fixed (some time ago).

The ceiling is now more or less dry but had some brownish damp patches. I have now seen on other threads that I should put on some "stain block" prior to painting over the brownish damp patches. I intend to apply the stain block before repaintingf

I initially tried painting over it but found that the existing paint kind of "bubbled" or lifted in a few places.
    I then scraped off the bubbling paint, so my main problem now is that the ceiling has some patches where the paint was scraped off a couple of millimetres deep. They aren't too severe but are a bit noticeable even after I painted over them.

I'm wondering what the best course of action is without resorting to full scale replastering/skimming, as I say, its not too bad but a bit noticeable. Does anyone know of some good products for this, - maybe something like polyfilla but for ceilings.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd a similar problem some years ago. I found that if you paint over the brownish stain with gloss paint and then repaint the ceiling with afew coats of emulsion, it works well and is very cheap!

I'm sure Stainblock does a similar job. Either way you have to ensure that the stain is completely dried out before painting. I assume slight damp caused your paint to bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Thanks RKQ, I'll look into that for the brownish damp marks.

Still not sure what to do with the scraped off patches of paint though. They really need to be filled or skimmed somehow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Try "flat oil" for covering the stains. I use this product all the time when painting stained ceilings.
    Apply one coat off the flat oil and when its bone dry use polyfiller to repair and the spots that bubbled.If the spots are deep they may take a couple of fills.Its best to fill twice than put too much on at once and have to sand it for ages and its not done right it can look worse.Use 100 grade sanpaper for sanding.When the filling is sanded dust off with a dry brush and they apply another coat of flat oil.Its important to put the second coat on as the filler can sometimes pull the stains through.

Thanks game4it70 for your clear, comprehensive advice; this is a huge help.

Sorry game4it70, one quick question, what is "flat oil" and what does it do?
    Would I be able to get this in a standard DIY shop, e.g. B and Q ?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Sorry, just dawned on me you probably mean a flat oil based paint

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ArdDonagh

Thompsons (Ronseal) do a "One Coat Damp Seal" you paint on and you can paint over it after 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

ravendude wrote: »
    Sorry game4it70, one quick question, what is "flat oil" and what does it do?
    Would I be able to get this in a standard DIY shop, e.g. B and Q ?

Thanks again.
    It is called "flat oil" and Johnstones make it.
    You will need to get it in a paint shop.Southside theres Stilorgen Decor or Nash paints.
    In town near christchurch theres a place called M.R.C.B.

Advertisement