Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educate Together, opinions?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I have a two year old, and am considering pre-enrolment in an Educate Together primary school.

I like the idea a multi-denominational and inclusive ethos, but I have reservations about sending my child to a school different than that of other kids that live on the same street.

Interested to hear peoples opinions on this, anyone have children of their own in Educate Together schools?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

bombjack2 wrote: »
    I have a two year old, and am considering pre-enrolment in an Educate Together primary school.

I like the idea a multi-denominational and inclusive ethos, but I have reservations about sending my child to a school different than that of other kids that live on the same street.

Interested to hear peoples opinions on this, anyone have children of their own in Educate Together schools?

Thanks

Educate together is IMHO the best way to educate children. Religiously segregated schools merely create in groups and out groups and foster divisions within society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Educate together is IMHO the best way to educate children. Religiously segregated schools merely create in groups and out groups and foster divisions within society.

While I have nothing against Educate Together schools, I think the above statement is a complete generalisation. Traditional schools certainly do not foster divisions within society. Each has it's own advantages and to say a school type in this day and age does harm is just wrong.

This probably isn't the best place to ask this kind of question in fairness. By the very nature of boards.ie, you are going to get a lot of anti-religion people on here and therefore you will get a skewed response. Do your own research. Yes, take on board any responses here but under no circumstances base your decision on it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think all types of schools have their good and bad points. It would be naive to think otherwise. Also think a school irrespective of it's ethos is generally only as good as the Principal and BOM running it, along with the support of teachers and parents.

A school can have all the policies in the world and claim to have an inclusive ethos but in reality it's not always followed through in individual schools.

If you like the ethos of an Educate Together school and it ticks all the boxes for you then don't let the fact that the neighbouring children attend a different school put you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 bombjack2

Thanks for the replies
    Ludo wrote: »
    This probably isn't the best place to ask this kind of question in fairness. By the very nature of boards.ie, you are going to get a lot of anti-religion people on here and therefore you will get a skewed response. Do your own research. Yes, take on board any responses here but under no circumstances base your decision on it alone.

I am not very religious myself, but I don't want that fact to cloud my judgement, the local catholic school is actually very highly thought of in the area.

Because of this, I would need to have good reasons to go for the Educate Together option, which is why I would love to hear from people that have experience of their own children, nieces, nephews etc that go to these schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I have nothing against any type of school ... it all depends on the teacher. But i do think that 2/3 even 4 is too young to be confusing different religions. They are just starting out in life learning to deal with other children, different set of rules, learning and (its just my opnion) I believe that adding another topic might confuse them. I would think it would be a great idea for older children to specifically talk about and meet other children from different religions and countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ludo wrote: »

I do think that the demographic of most boards users would be anti Church rather then anti religion.

I am not anti religion at all and think that religion classes have a place in school but not religious indoctrination. Children should learn a little about all religions but that their personal spiritual growth and religious indoctrination should be done at home and in church and not in schools.

That being said due to the fact there is not a E.T. school close enough my two non christian kids are in a catholic school, which has had it's own trails and issues over the years and I really think that we should as per the constitution cherish all our children equally and no parent should have to wipe away tears and have to comfort and console their child after they have
    nightmares due to being told in class and being teased in the yard that they are going to hell and so is thier Mammy and Daddy cos they didn't get them baptised.

So should you send you child to an E.T school, well what is your stance on
    religion classes and religious instruction/indoctrination in class ?
    How far away is the school ?
    What are the school's enrolment policy and rules and discipline structures ? Do you agree with them ?
    Have you gotten feedback about the school from anyone ?

With your child not being in the same school as most of the kids on the road it will afford them a chance to have two sets of friends which can be a good thing and it means what ever happens in school won't spill over on to the road and vice versa.

Give the choice between two equal schools I would personally prefer an E.T.
    school as I prefer the ethos and how invovled the parents are and are encouraged to be.

You will also find info here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1022
    in the primary and pre school forum.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I do think that the demographic of most boards users would be anti Church rather then anti religion.

Fair point...I assume you mean anti-catholic church?
    That being said due to the fact there is not a E.T. school close enough my two non christian kids are in a catholic school, which has had it's own trails and issues over the years and I really think that we should as per the constitution cherish all our children equally and no parent should have to wipe away tears and have to comfort and console their child after they have
    nightmares due to being told in class and being teased in the yard that they are going to hell and so is thier Mammy and Daddy cos they didn't get them baptised.

That is disgraceful but as someone mentioned earlier comes more down to individuals rather that it being a "religous" school. I went to Presentation Brothers schools and never came across anything like you describe. I am by no means religous (cant remember when I went to mass last) but I still have the utmost respect for them and would not hesitate to sent my kids to a school run by them. Parents were also heavily involved in the running of the school (and this was 20 years ago).
    So should you send you child to an E.T school, well what is your stance on
    religion classes and religious instruction/indoctrination in class ?
    How far away is the school ?
    What are the school's enrolment policy and rules and discipline structures ? Do you agree with them ?
    Have you gotten feedback about the school from anyone ?

Fully agree with all this bar the "indoctrination" comment. That straight away is implying there is something wrong with the methodology and that there is fomr form if brain-washing almost going on. Simply not the case unless you get a bad individual teacher which can happen in any school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Op, our daughter is in an E.T. school and we think they're amazing for what it's worth.

I don't think it is to do with the teacher but rather that teacher is impressing on young and impressionable minds that 2+2=4 is a fact and then Jesus is the son on the only God as fact in the same day, which if all fair enough if every child in the class is catholic and thier parents agree with it but that tends not to be the case with how the schooling system is set up.

Schools can vary in how relgious and secular they are even with the same ethos or relgious order running them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 larbis

why don't you visit all the schools you're interested in and meet the teachers etc? Then you'll be able to make an informed decision about what is best for YOUR child:)

As for Educate Together, I think a lot of people make a mistake focusing on the religious (or lack of!) aspect and that really is the smallest part of the ethos of the schools. The main focus is in child-centered learning and inclusivity. I think they're great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's unfortunate imho that the only alternative to denominational is multi-denominational rather than non-denominational. We should have schools free of religion entirely and let parents/communities/churches make arrangements in their own time and with their own money for religious instruction if they wish.

As it is, in our area we only have only one or other christian school to choose from. It's like making a veggie choose between eating pork or beef (yes, you can take the child out of religion class, but - to continue the analogy - that's like handing the veggie a steak dinner and telling them to just leave that part if they don't want to eat it.)

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

religious schools fester differences in any age ludo.

ninja900 wrote: »
    It's unfortunate imho that the only alternative to denominational is multi-denominational rather than non-denominational. We should have schools free of religion entirely and let parents/communities/churches make arrangements in their own time and with their own money for religious instruction if they wish.

That is what happen with the multi-denominational schools, the RE program teaches the children a little bit about all religions but religious instruction is
    done by parents and what ever religious community the child is part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I don't think it is to do with the teacher but rather that teacher is impressing on young and impressionable minds that 2+2=4 is a fact and then Jesus is the son on the only God as fact in the same day, which if all fair enough if every child in the class is catholic and thier parents agree with it but that tends not to be the case with how the schooling system is set up.

Schools can vary in how relgious and secular they are even with the same ethos or relgious order running them.

If you don't like the ethos of the school don't send your kids there. More and more non religious schools are springing up around the country you have a choice, even in small towns. However if like my sis-in-law you want your kids to go to a Catholic run school because she judges it the best in the area, but still insists on giving out about religion being taught in the school, it's like trying to have your cake and eat it.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    If you don't like the ethos of the school don't send your kids there.

It's not that simple it was then there would not be as much trouble over primary school as there is in this country, the model being used is flawed and the government has not lived up to it's obligations and a charity has had to step in and do so.

If there was a multidenominational school with in a reasonable distance then my kids would be in it, but there is not. Yes thankfully there are more multidenominational schools there is no such things as a non religious school in this state, but there are not enough for them to be option for every parent.
    barbiegirl wrote: »
    However if like my sis-in-law you want your kids to go to a Catholic run school because she judges it the best in the area, but still insists on giving out about religion being taught in the school, it's like trying to have your cake and eat it.

If denominational schools will take in children who are not of that faith to claim the grant for that child from the dept of education then they have a responsiblity to educate that child in an inslusive manner and take into consideration that the child is not of that faith and make provisions.

religious schools fester differences in any age ludo.

Care to expand on that? I am not sure what you mean by making such a statement as fact without explaining it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm firmly of the belief that the nation's schools should be completely free of religion so if there's an educate together, or preferably a fully secular, school available for my daughter in 4/5 years time she'll be going there.

It's an absolute disgrace that in a 'developed' country we still leave education so largely under the control of religious orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Agree completely.

We've had our chance - we've had 10 years of economic prosperity to get ourselves out of this embarassing dependence on a religious order to subsidise our educational system. Now it's gone and the wealth has been squandered.

In other countries symbols of religious affiliation are banned. In this country, the state tolerates priests in the classroom telling kids they're going to hell unless they are baptised.

Utter madness.

Sleepy wrote: »
    preferably a fully secular, school available for my daughter in 4/5 years time she'll be going there.

I really think that is doubtful.
    There was to be a once off V.E.C. primary school in D15 but then the dept of education caved and asked the Bishop to take it on as patron.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    It's an absolute disgrace that in a 'developed' country we still leave education so largely under the control of religious orders.

It's historic legacy and a government unwilling to make the changes and take the responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

In Northern Ireland ET has a laudable goal; to break down divisions between communities.

Its purpose in the Republic is to enable middle class parents to send their kids to a school other than the local school.

It is about snobbery an elitism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

di11on wrote: »
    Agree completely.

We've had our chance - we've had 10 years of economic prosperity to get ourselves out of this embarassing dependence on a religious order to subsidise our educational system. Now it's gone and the wealth has been squandered.

In other countries symbols of religious affiliation are banned. In this country, the state tolerates priests in the classroom telling kids they're going to hell unless they are baptised.

Utter madness.

Yeah getting the religious out of health care has worked a treat!!!
    I am reporting this post as it is a lie. Priests do not tell children they will go to hell unless they are baptised.

In Northern Ireland ET has a laudable goal; to break down divisions between communities.

Its purpose in the Republic is to enable middle class parents to send their kids to a school other than the local school.

It is about snobbery an elitism.

Nope.
    It is about multi denominational ethos of the school.
    If the local school was secular then you might have a point or if all the E.T. schools were in well heeled leafy surburbs but they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Yeah getting the religious out of health care has worked a treat!!!
    I am reporting this post as it is a lie. Priests do not tell children they will go to hell unless they are baptised.
    Actually they do. I have numerous priests and nuns tell me and the whole class when i was at school that you can not enter heaven unless you get baptised and that the only other place for you was hell. Its not been long since the last time I heard a nun say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

No it doesn't. It has a goal of educating children.
    What, the working class should just roll over and take it up the ass from the Churches some more?

Not everyone from a working class background is a scumbag. We don't all spend our days wondering where we can nick our next flagon of cider from. We have a right to a bloody education system in the Republic of Ireland that is run by the people of Ireland.

ET's crap in a lot of ways, but at least some people are trying to do something. And some of them are working class, despite how thinking they are all sheep might ease your bourgeois self-satisfaction.

Why not try letting someone mention Educate Together without engaging in yet another anti-Working Class rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 larbis

Talliesin wrote: »
    ET's crap in a lot of ways

In which ways? (Not trying to stir it up - genuinely curious!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Actually, I will retract that. I've been less than impressed by a couple of things, but they're things that can happen in any school, rather than anything to do with ET, and I prefer not to get into them as they involved other people and I'd rather not.

One of my friend's who helped set up their ET school has told me a number of things that goes on in their school that are anything but inclusive.

My friend is poor and the principal sent a letter home to her requesting an appointment so that she could tell my friend to tell her children that they were not to ever mention that they are poor as it unsettles the children of those with more money.

No such thing as telling those children to not mention where they go on their foreign holidays, their horse riding lessons, etc that it may unsettle those who are not well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

deisemum wrote: »
    My friend is poor and the principal sent a letter home to her requesting an appointment so that she could tell my friend to tell her children that they were not to ever mention that they are poor as it unsettles the children of those with more money.

That's a disgrace, even in a country where it is just accepted that education is riddled with snobbery and disadvantage.

Did your friend just accept this, or complain to board of management / ET themselves?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

ninja900 wrote: »
    That's a disgrace, even in a country where it is just accepted that education is riddled with snobbery and disadvantage.

Did your friend just accept this, or complain to board of management / ET themselves?

She didn't accept it but pointed out to the principal that her children should not be made feel uncomfortable because they were poor, that she was trying to teach her children that they can't have everything they want just because most of the class have something and that she was not going to get into further debt trying to keep up with others.

In fairness to my friend's children they know their parents cannot afford things and they don't ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

My daughter goes to the local Catholic school and my son goes to an ET school. I can state categorically from my experience with both schools that there is definately an air of snobbery surrounding the ET school. I also feel that my daughter is receiving a much higher standard of education. Her school is much stricter on discipline and you can see it in the behaviour of the children compared to the behaviour of those in my son's school. I may have to take my son out for a few years as he is dyslexic and may have to go to a specialist school for help, and I'm tempted to send him to a different school afterwards, but I know it would greatly upset him so I'm loathe to do it.

I'd also like to dispell this myth of religious run schools shoving religion down kids necks. My daughter has one religion class a week for an hour. My son has one religion class a week after school for an hour.

Advertisement