Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne to Ayer's Rock trip

Options
  • 14-10-2008 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi, Hoping to fly from Melbourne to Ayer's Rock and stay overnight.
    I realise you have to fly via Sydney to do this. Just wondering has anyone come across any good flight/accomodation deals.
    Had a quick look and flight alone seems to come to approx. €320.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you are looking to fly to Ayers rock then yes will be expensive, and will only go certain routes, if you are looking to fly to alice springs then this will have a lot more options ...

webjet.com.au is very good for flights, I found a return flight from Alice springs to melbourne for tues 11th - thurs 13th for $360 return = 180euro.

now saying that alice spring is a few hours drive, away, but tours leave every day.

Uluru is quite expensive a hotel will cost a fair bit of money,
    another option is tour group (private tent group with showers etc), I did one with adventure tour (3 day) and was my fav thing I did in Oz, here is a link to a 2 day tour (overnight)
    http://www.adventuretours.com.au/red-centre-highlights/
    pick up from alice spring too,

actually I just checked www.flightcentre.com.au
    and there is a return flight from melbourne to Ayers rock (connectingh flight at alice) for 284euro or $568

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

hi hussey - thanks for these. sorry delay in reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Thats something i'd like to do as well.

That tour group, is that total bush camping, or camping in a park with shower/toilet facilities, and all the rest?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Thats something i'd like to do as well.

That tour group, is that total bush camping, or camping in a park with shower/toilet facilities, and all the rest?

I did a 3 day tour with adventure tours - I thought it was excellent, Yeah it is camping of sorts, there are permanent camp sites and you stay with sleeping bags - shower and toilet facilities are excellent - there is an option to upgrade to more luxury accommodation.

But I would not go in summer, it will eb too hot - I went in July and it was perfect temperate for walking around Ulura/Kings Canyon - about 22c
    but it was freezing at night.

it is really really amazing - before I went I was like "oh a big rock big deal" but really blew my mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I'm just back from a trip up to Ayers Rock last weekend. We flew up to Alice on Thursday, rented a campervan there and then drove to Yulara (the resort/town on the edge of Uluru - Kata Tjuta National Park) stayed there for a few nights and did all the hikes around the park. We then drove up to Kings Canyon, stayed there for a night or two, did the rim walk of Kings Canyon and drove back to Alice to fly back to Melbourne on the Tuesday.
    The drive between Yulara and Alice (and also Kings Canyon and Alice) will take about four to five hours but is easily doable.
    It is very hot there during the day at the moment, it was up in the high thirties when we were up there, although there is some respite early in the morning just after sunrise and in the evening just before sunset. If you're planning any strenuous hikes, that would be the time to do them, but otherwise, if you don't mind it being hot and sticky, you'll be alright once you have plenty of water and sun screen.
    If you're looking for cheap flights to Alice, just check out Tiger Airways, they have pretty cheap flights, much cheaper than Qantas, and actually have a pretty good deal on at the moment if you book to travel between the 13th Jan and 31st March next year.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement