Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athiest or anti-theist

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Or when more than one person believes in something, in your head, it adds weight to your belief - therefore you "must" be right.
    Yep, that's what groupthink is all about. The section of that wiki article on symptoms of groupthink is especially worth a quick read -- how many of those symptoms apply to your average religious joe and his religious friends?
    I was kicked out of a class when I was 8 for asking a nun if we could be wrong about religion, she said "but it's what we believe" and I said "yes, but could we be wrong" She dragged me out of the classroom,
    Classic -- LOL!

I think you should feel persecuted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

robindch wrote: »
    Classic -- LOL!

I think you should feel persecuted :)
    haha, it was a big learning experience :). My mam is very openminded, so while I was brought up RC, she made it very very clear that there were so many alternative beliefs out there and that they could all be right, or all be wrong. It was nothing unusual for me to ask questions, nothing was ever set in stone with her if you know what I mean. I genuinely didn't understand when someone stated that they knew they were right. It still grates on me when people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Anti-theism. Anti-theist only with evangelicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Calderin

I'm an atheist and I despise the teachings of certain religions, primarily Christianity and Islam, though I don't despise those who believe the teachings, I pity them.I do, however, despise when they breed and automatically label their children Catholic, Protestant, Muslim etc without the child even knowing what a religion is, let alone what they've been subscribed to themselves.

Advertisement