Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explorer Belt Slovenia 1997

Options
  • 14-10-2008 12:04pm

Well any boardsies attend the Slovenia Explorer Belt in 1997? 'Twas a great time, beautiful wooded country and very friendly people. Base camp was good craic to - I was one of the lads from 1st&10th Kildare and we had a good laugh with some of the lads from Portmarknock, and Limerick. The Ventac reunion that September was one to remember.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah, it was a class three weeks, I was from Skerries / Lusk.
    Didn't actually get the belt, but it was once of the best times of my life Ventact was an amazing weekend too kinda a mini reunion.

Christ, the stories I have from Slovenia, great bar near the base camp also. Must get in touch with the guy I did it with he had the log book, I'd love to pull it out.

Starting to feel old.

Just a note to anyone who's thinking of trying for the belt, it's hard but you seriously have to try it.

Luckily I'm still good friends with the chap I did it with, we swap the log / projects every so often for good measure. Yeah the bar was cool. I'll scan some photos and post them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

Ohh thats so cool, i did the belt (for the 2nd time) in Slovenia in 2008!!! Sorry i just felt that it was relivant, isnt it such an amazing country

Kidd-o wrote: »
    Ohh thats so cool, i did the belt (for the 2nd time) in Slovenia in 2008!!! Sorry i just felt that it was relivant, isnt it such an amazing country

Cool, so eleven years later they returned to Slovenia. Was base camp near Bled again? I intend to go back to revisit my old route again sometime, but this time drag my wife along with me, I'd love for her to see the country. So many great memories of the Explorer Belt and Slovenia! :) Makes me feel old that it's come full circle now, though!

Yeah, but bring a car this time!!!! and go by plane.

I'm still in touch with my partner but he's living in New Zealand, I'll pull out a few pics and scan them in the next week or so.

In one way I'd love to go back, but in another I'd nearly be afraid it wouldn't live up to the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Yeah, I did the belt in 2000 in the Czech Rep. Id love to go back and travel the route I took too. I had a ball. I was staff on the belts in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 & 2006. Every belt I have been on has been so different but equally great craic.

I friends with 3 lads that did the belt in Slovenia in 1997. 1 from Limerick and 2 from Lusk.

Ah the two lad's from Lusk Bod and Niall, I ended up joining their venture group after it, unfortunately fell out of contact with them over the years. Lusk must have been one of the best venture groups at the time, crowd of nutjobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

Cool, so eleven years later they returned to Slovenia. Was base camp near Bled again? I intend to go back to revisit my old route again sometime, but this time drag my wife along with me, I'd love for her to see the country. So many great memories of the Explorer Belt and Slovenia! :) Makes me feel old that it's come full circle now, though!

yeah, quite close to bled, amazing place...

it was funny, day 10 we were walking into bled, my partner was making fun of my accent, (im from cork and shes from mount merrian) and all of a sudden a woman walking the oposite direction said, "conas ata sibh" it was so funny we thought she was speaking slovenian!!!

It didnt exactly do a full circle considdering my drop off poiny was in Croatia

Two of the lads we met nearly went over the border and ended up in Croatia which at that stage was still a bit of a warzone, would have made a great story.

Love to visit that bar again.

Advertisement