Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo Saloon won't go into reverse

Options
  • 14-10-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

hi ppl
    Was wondering if anyone had any ideas, my vw has suddenly stopped going into reverse for me, all the forward gears work perfectly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Is it simply refusing at all, or does it make a grinding noise too?

VW was (is) notorious for syncromesh issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭suimhneas

its making that god awful noise, i know its bad for it but i turn off the car and stick it in reverse now its the only way i can get it to move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

suimhneas wrote: »
    its making that god awful noise, i know its bad for it but i turn off the car and stick it in reverse now its the only way i can get it to move

Sounds like the synchromesh to me, if you need to turn it off to put it into reverse. That shouldn't do any harm.

The issue is the cog being pushed into the spinning receiver, the synchromesh is supposed to help ease it in.

AudiChris is probably the best to ask, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Joker wrote: »
    Sounds like the synchromesh to me, if you need to turn it off to put it into reverse. That shouldn't do any harm.

The issue is the cog being pushed into the spinning receiver, the synchromesh is supposed to help ease it in.

AudiChris is probably the best to ask, tbh.
    +1

Sounds like Syncromesh to me.

Advertisement