Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Nationals, Refugee's and the Budget.

Options
  • 14-10-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

So we are all being told to be prepared to tighten our belts, suck it up and get ready for financial turmoil. Our fags are going up, drink is going up and all of us who get up off out arses everyday to work are being told that our tax's are going up. Even if we go on bloody holiday to get away from it all we are going to be bent over and taxed on that too!!

My question is though, as i passed by a social welafre office the other day and seen non nationals and refugee's ( and a far less amount of Irish people there) standing outside it queing, is the goverment going to have the balls to tell some of these people, "sorry we have no money to give you, maybe you will have to back to your own countires as we cant afford to pay you social welfare payments anymore"?

ps - this is a real discussion as the goverment has distanced itself away from the immegration arguement and its not a racist troll thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Refreshing to see your last sentence rather than the usual "oh and the bleeding heart, PC liberals can **** off" etc... :)

Non EU folks who won't work and who don't need to be here shouldn't be. The problem is how to ascertain who needs to be here and who doesn't. How can it be figured out whether a person is merely here to sponge or came here to work but just cannot find a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,385 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I love you, too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I thought the thread title ment we were all getting a free refugee in the budget:(

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

The night of the long knifes is coming...

/scurries off to prepare firebombs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Rather than admit our system is broken, we will just raise taxes.

Great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Dudess wrote: »

Non EU folks who won't work and who don't need to be here shouldn't be. The problem is how to ascertain who needs to be here and who doesn't. How can it be figured out whether a person is merely here to sponge or came here to work but just cannot find a job?
    I think the lenght of somwhon being in the country and how much they have taken from social welfare and if they have worked, how much they have contibuted to the country should be the major factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

stevoman wrote: »
    I think the lenght of somwhon being in the country and how much they have taken from social welfare and if they have worked, how much they have contibuted to the country should be the major factor.

Exactly. There are slackers on the dole that have never contributed with PRSI and PAYE.

Let's kick a few lazy Irish out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Let's kick a few lazy Irish out.

Where though? The Blaskets?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

The Master wrote: »
    I thought the thread title ment we were all getting a free refugee in the budget:(

You mean you dont have one? You should, they're great. I have Mewengwe, he is from Addis Abbiba. He makes the most awesome cheesburgers in the World.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The dole should be available for a maximum of six months then cut off.This applies to irish people especially as some of them have been ****ing the system far longer than any foreigner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

javaboy wrote: »

As we did before: England.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

Anybody fit to work who is on the dole long term should be made to work, I dunno cleaning streets.

And carrying things for people with jobs.

I had to carry loads of big heavy bags of shopping all the way home after a long days work yesterday, if there was somebody sitting around all day they should be made to help. I paid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I could do with an SES scheme refugee for some light chores around the gaff, would that be a possibility?

javaboy wrote: »

Northern Ireland.

Degsy wrote: »
    The dole should be available for a maximum of six months then cut off.This applies to irish people especially as some of them have been ****ing the system far longer than any foreigner.

Or like in Australia where you have to work for the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Fiend-Foe wrote: »
    Anybody fit to work who is on the dole long term should be made to work, I dunno cleaning streets.

And carrying things for people with jobs.

I had to carry loads of big heavy bags of shopping all the way home after a long days work yesterday, if there was somebody sitting around all day they should be made to help. I paid for them.

:D:D:D Could you just imagine it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

So we are all being told to be prepared to tighten our belts, suck it up and get ready for financial turmoil. Our fags are going up, drink is going up and all of us who get up off out arses everyday to work are being told that our tax's are going up. Even if we go on bloody holiday to get away from it all we are going to be bent over and taxed on that too!!

My question is though, as i passed by a social welafre office the other day and seen non nationals and refugee's ( and a far less amount of Irish people there) standing outside it queing, is the goverment going to have the balls to tell some of these people, "sorry we have no money to give you, maybe you will have to back to your own countires as we cant afford to pay you social welfare payments anymore"?

ps - this is a real discussion as the goverment has distanced itself away from the immegration arguement and its not a racist troll thread!

How do you identify a refugee/non-national from everyone else? I'd like to know how you do it.

Gyalist wrote: »
    How do you identify a refugee/non-national from everyone else? I'd like to know how you do it.

Make them wear a star of David.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

their passport isn't irish....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

they sell bunches of heather

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

The same way I can spot another Irishman when I am abroad. I don't know how I can tell but I am usually right. Same here I can usually tell if someone is not from Ireland without having to speak to them, most people can, but I suspect that's not where you were going with your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

robtri wrote: »
    their passport isn't irish....

You can tell this just by walking past someone at the Social Welfare office?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I predict with my awesome psychic powers that people who choose to work for a living will be shafted in this budget and people on the dole will get more money.
    A great message to be sending out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The same way I can spot another Irishman when I am abroad. I don't know how I can tell but I am usually right. Same here I can usually tell if someone is not from Ireland without having to speak to them, most people can, but I suspect that's not where you were going with your post!

Non nationals wear leprechaun hats, dublin/cork/Kerry etc GAA shirts and have pasty white legs that look like they have never seen the sun? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Social welfare is the only department not getting hammered apparently.

The dole is going to get tied to inflation which is something that they couldn't do with the National Wage Agreement. Anyone who bothers working is going to get ass raped to pay for a budget that the minister for finance has promised will deliver nothing!

Seriously why are people clamouring for bank officials to be prosecuted for mismanagement off their funds when it's blatantly obvious that politicians have fuked up far worse and with absolutely no consequences!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The same way I can spot another Irishman when I am abroad. I don't know how I can tell but I am usually right.

But most refugees here don't have flame-red faces, big guts and GAA tops?

edit ::::: fcuk you fred :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

So to hell with the almost 400 000 Euro I've paid in taxes since I've been here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Oh ffs! Have a bit of cop on. Skin colour and the fact they might speak in a foreign accent or a foreign language. It's not that bloody difficult to spot non nationals.
    If you walk past a building and the majority in there are of different skin colour to Irish then it's highly likely that the most of them are not Irish, isn't it?

Yep, it's pretty easy to tell an Irish person from a non-Irish person.

• Advertisement

Mena wrote: »
    So to hell with the almost 400 000 Euro I've paid in taxes since I've been here?

If you've paid your taxes and contributed to society, in my view - you've more right to be here than a lot of people who's only claim to contribution to Irish society is that their mother managed to catch pregnant.

Advertisement