Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Nationals, Refugee's and the Budget.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Do you even read the post you are quoting.
    Do I read the posts? Maybe you should read them yourself before being a smart ****.

Gyalist wrote:
    I heard it's the non-nationals fault we're in a recession
    Tha Gopher wrote:
    Not exactly. However...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

dlofnep wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's it - All students have financial problems because they spend all their money on booze? How about the fact that they make between 150-200 euro a week working (or in some cases 100 euro a week for those extra busy in 4th year).. And every week they pay between 60-90 euro (or even more) for rent.. Then on top of that they pay for food, petrol for their car, buses or whatever means of transport is required.. Electricity bills, heating. And then some..

So take a 4th year student - How on earth do you expect them to finish their degree under those circumstances?

What do you expect?
    That everybody else is going to foot the bill because you dont want to go out and get a proper job?
    You think you have it soo bad, just wait till you enter the jobs market with your "degree".
    You'll soon see if the world owes you a living.

Mena wrote: »
    Lets cut the bull**** here. People like Degsy aren't really anti- non-national (and wtf is that? We have nationalities too you know). They're anti-Nigerian, or to put it more bluntly, Anti-Black.

It's not the Europeans, Americans (or "whites") they have a problem with, but our dark skinned brothers.

So lets start calling a spade a spade eh?

And you pal,are talking out your hole.
    Where did i mention ANYBODY'S colour?Where?
    I already said i was AS pissed off with irish people scrounging off the state as any non-nationals(not just nigerians).
    It just so happens that nigerians have become associated with dishonesty..is that my fault?No..its thiers..iIf they werent blaCK WOULD YOU BE STICKING YOUR OAR IN?nstead of acting like ammbasadors for thier country,some of them behave in a reprehensible way and damage the reputation of ALL black people in the eyes of the host country.This again,isnt my fault.
    You've got a massive chip on your shoulder,you've listened to nothing thats been said and go straight for the easiest thing you can think of saying...ie the issue of colour.Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Degsy wrote: »
    What do you expect?
    That everybody else is going to foot the bill because you dont want to go out and get a proper job?

What do you mean, a proper job? I have a proper job. I also have college. My first job entailed sitting in mucky fields picking strawberries at the age of 14. At 15 I was working 14 hour shifts in Jurys Hotel on fridays, saturdays and sundays and went into school on mondays with an hour or two sleep. At 18 - I worked 80 hour weeks between two jobs - a department store and a nightclub. Don't tell me what a proper job is. I know all about hard work.
    You think you have it soo bad, just wait till you enter the jobs market with your "degree".

Yes, and I'll fair just fine. You seem to have little man's syndrome. You obviously have something against people who want to go out there and better their life through an education. Jealously even.

The world doesn't owe me anything. I've paid enough tax myself to warrant a little assistance here and there to ensure I can survive the financial stress of college.

dlofnep, Id just say Id be happy to foot a higher tax bill for more money to students, having been one myself and knowing what its like. I had to work 35+ hours a week on top of study to get through college, it shouldnt be that hard.

Ignore the Daily Star reading plumbers and taxi drivers who resent you for bettering yourself and our country through education. You and I are the people who drive the economy, they'll soon realise what value someone who has been hammering nails into pieces of wood since they were 17 has to an economy in recession.

Presumably they wont be joing the ranks of spongers on the dole whom they despise so much, so theyll all have starved themselves out of the genepool soon enough.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you had to work so many hours Ciaran. My course requires an awful amount of continous assessment, so I've an awful amount of work to catch up on every week. Most subjects are 50% CA, so as you can imagine - the importance of having time to complete the CA and not being tied down with work is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

What do you expect?

Out of curiosity, what's the problem with students?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Poccington wrote: »
    I can see problems with students having to leave college because of finances whilst there's wasters on the dole.

I can also see problems with wasters on the dole enjoying the same quality of living as some people that work full time jobs.

200 lids a week gives you some quality of life, yeah pay the bills, stay warm, feed yourself, i hope you never have to try it.

travellers can legally drew the dole and trade,

i am disabled, i have got roughly 6 lids a week of a raise, now i have 206 each week. now excuse me while i go celebrate, to where or on what i do not know.
    suggestions please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

CiaranC wrote: »
    dlofnep, Id just say Id be happy to foot a higher tax bill for more money to students, having been one myself and knowing what its like. I had to work 35+ hours a week on top of study to get through college, it shouldnt be that hard.

Ignore the Daily Star reading plumbers and taxi drivers who resent you for bettering yourself and our country through education. You and I are the people who drive the economy, they'll soon realise what value someone who has been hammering nails into pieces of wood since they were 17 has to an economy in recession.

Presumably they wont be joing the ranks of spongers on the dole whom they despise so much, so theyll all have starved themselves out of the genepool soon enough.

I personally would just like to thank you for being such an integral part of making Ireland a better place.

You truly are an inspiration to us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Out of curiosity, what's the problem with students?

Students killed his parents. Then in a later sequel, it was an immigrant that killed them. Then it was the Riddler and then finally back to students again.

• Advertisement

I personally would just like to thank you for being such an integral part of making Ireland a better place.

You truly are an inspiration to us all.
    Thanks for the sarcasm, im just an ordinary Joe who got on with making my own life better without begrudging everyone else around me the same. Were a bunch of miserable swine in this country I swear, constantly whining about our neighbour getting something we arent. Waaa, waaa, waaa students are lazy, refugees are scum, immigrants are leeches, waaa, waaa, waaah.

Thanks for the sarcasm, im just an ordinary Joe who got on with making my own life better without begrudging everyone else around me the same. Were a bunch of miserable swine in this country I swear, constantly whining about our neighbour getting something we arent. Waaa, waaa, waaa students are lazy, refugees are scum, immigrants are leeches, waaa, waaa, waaah.

I'd love to see where I mentioned refugess or immigrants. As for the students, I merely said I don't see why they should be getting more money.

I don't begrudge anybody, I'm quite happy with my life and what I've accomplished thanks very much ;)

I'd love to see where I mentioned refugess or immigrants. As for the students, I merely said I don't see why they should be getting more money.

I don't begrudge anybody, I'm quite happy with my life and what I've accomplished thanks very much ;)
    Wasnt referring to you specifically, there are plenty of other whingers in the thread like this.

As for the students, I merely said I don't see why they should be getting more money.

And I explained why they do. And it's not all students - Just those under financial pressure. Surely the system should be encouraging people to go to college, rather than encouraging people to sponge off the dole.

And I explained why they do. And it's not all students - Just those under financial pressure. Surely the system should be encouraging people to go to college, rather than encouraging people to sponge off the dole.

Oh sorry, I forgot your word was law around these parts.

I'd love to see where "the system" encourages people to go on the dole. There's just some wasters out there that refuse to do legitimate work, which is where the whole concept of the dole is getting abused. The government seems to have no interest in fighting the abuse so I suppose it's out of our hands really.

I'd love to see where "the system" encourages people to go on the dole. There's just some wasters out there that refuse to do legitimate work, which is where the whole concept of the dole is getting abused. The government seems to have no interest in fighting the abuse so I suppose it's out of our hands really.

The fact that a friend of mine who had been working for years opted to quit his job and go on the dole is proof enough. And I didn't say my word was law, but my explanation was perfectly valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The fact that a friend of mine who had been working for years opted to quit his job and go on the dole is proof enough.

No offence but your friend must have had a really **** job.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    No offence but your friend must have had a really **** job.

He had a comfortable office job and made well above the minimum wage. I'm not offended. Why would I be? Simple facts were - he decided that he would be able to live comfortable enough on the dole so he wasn't required to work.

It DOES encourage people to go to college.You dont have fees,you get a grant,there are so many college places on so many courses that literally ANY fool can attend college.
    Its your choice if you wnat to go to college,you're actually wasting years that you could be earning and paying tax.
    What assitance do you get from the government if you start off in some crappy job earning the same as somebody on the dole?
    Nowt.
    As i said,its a big bad world out there and you cant have the system holding your hand through every step of it.

It DOES encourage people to go to college.You dont have fees,you get a grant

Eh, no I don't.
    Its your choice if you wnat to go to college,you're actually wasting years that you could be earning and paying tax.

I wouldn't consider an education a waste. It enables me to earn substantially more when I'm finished college. Degsy - I'm willing to go out on a limb that you're angry with the fact that you do not have an education and I doubt many here would disagree with my analysis.
    What assitance do you get from the government if you start off in some crappy job earning the same as somebody on the dole?

That depends on your financial circumstances.
    As i said,its a big bad world out there and you cant have the system holding your hand through every step of it.

I'm not asking the system to hold my hand - I'm asking for a more weighted and fair benefit system from the Government that does not feed those who laze about all day and can actually get a job, which allows for funds for grants for those who want to better themselves and get an education.

• Advertisement

He had a comfortable office job and made well above the minimum wage. I'm not offended. Why would I be? Simple facts were - he decided that he would be able to live comfortable enough on the dole so he wasn't required to work.

Ah I see - just lazy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

While at it they should target the lazy p*riks claming the dole for the past 5 years.
    The ones claiming the dole for 5years or more should all be given a job doing whatever some minimum wage job and forced to work, if they do not stick at the job no more dole money for them.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ah I see - just lazy then.

Yes, he is lazy. That's human mentality. Why take the hard route, when the easy way is there? It's the systems fault that people can get away with this nonsense.

Ignore the Daily Star reading plumbers and taxi drivers who resent you for bettering yourself and our country through education. You and I people who drive the the economy, they'll soon realise what value someone who has been hammering nails into pieces of wood since they were 17 has to an economy in recession.

Where to start...first off you dont drive anything.You've admitted to being on the dole.
    Secondly you as an unemployed person have no right to look down of carpenters,taxi men and plumbers.
    In your arrogance you seemed to overlook the fact that these people will ALLWAYS have work..recession or no recession.Show me a poor carpenter or a plumber with no money.
    Now,you think that google is going to provide you with a job for life you're very sadly mistaken.In the event of a recession the first people to pull out are foreign multinationals,not skilled tradespeople.
    If this is the sort of career-guidence people are coming out with these days,th eoutlook for the economy is grim indeed.

Degsy - I'm willing to go out on a limb that you're angry with the fact that you do not have an education and I doubt many here would disagree with my analysis.

While you're out on the limb try not to fall too far into the muck you've been talking.I have a perfectly good education and more importantly,a very good job.Dont forget,its my tax money that you're looking for more of to fund your student lifestyle.
    BTW what can you be studying in waterford thats so wonderfull?There's an art college there and thats about it.Doesnt qualify you for much now does it?

So that's what we need - A nation of carpenters and plumbers. No scientists, no computer engineers, no programmers, no graphic designers, no doctors, no anything.. Just alot of sinks, toilets and door hinges.

Yes, he is lazy. That's human mentality. Why take the hard route, when the easy way is there? It's the systems fault that people can get away with this nonsense.

Sorry but how is that the human mentality exactly?

It's just somebody being extremely lazy.

While you're out on the limb try not to fall too far into the muck you've been talking.

Opposed to the complete unbridled wisdom you've been sharing with us?
    I have a perfectly good education and more importantly,a very good job.Dont forget,its my tax money that you're looking for more of to fund your student lifestyle.

I think I've paid my own fair share of tax over the years to cover it.
    BTW what can you be studying in waterford thats so wonderfull?There's an art college there and thats about it.Doesnt qualify you for much now does it?

Multimedia Application Development. I will be qualified as a computer programmer, in web development, graphic design, animation, video production and a few more areas. I'd say it qualifies me just fine.

Eh.... speak for yourself. I'm not lazy. I working f*cking hard and even if I had a load of cash I'd still work and do lots of **** all the time.

Also - let's see your mate try to build a decent life for himself on social welfare alone. It's grand when you're young and have feck all responsibilities but let's see him get into a serious relationship, have kids etc and still want to stay on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Hes shown four nigerians are on the make, so only another 55996 to go. I await your link.

Your a bit off it's 41,214 (17.2%) were Non-Irish nationals. The percentage of Non-Irish nationals on the Live Register in September 2007 was 13.4%

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/lregeo.pdf

Advertisement