Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Nationals, Refugee's and the Budget.

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's not the point. The point is the system allows him to be lazy and it gives out money to those who aren't bother to put an effort into finding a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

dlofnep wrote: »
    So that's what we need - A nation of carpenters and plumbers. No scientists, no computer engineers, no programmers, no graphic designers, no doctors, no anything.. Just alot of sinks, toilets and door hinges.

My God - what a snobby holier-than-thou attitude.

And all of this from someone who pals around with a guy who's so lazy he quits his job to go on the dole because 'that's the human mentality'.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    My God - what a snobby holier-than-thou attitude.

And all of this from someone who pals around with a guy who's so lazy he quits his job to go on the dole because 'that's the human mentality'.

It's not holier than thou. It was in response to saying that I was wasting my time with an education and should be out paying tax. It was a perfectly plausible statement to make. I'm not trying to state that we don't need skilled trade workers - My point was that we also need people in third level education to cater for sciences and so forth. Stop dilly-dallying around my true intentions.

Stop dilly-dallying around my true intentions.

I swear to god I never even looked at your true intentions cross-eyed let alone dilly-dallied them!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I swear to god I never even looked at your true intentions cross-eyed let alone dilly-dallied them!

Well then you're perfectly aware that I was responding to someone who was downplaying the importance of third-level education for our society.

• Advertisement

Well then you're perfectly aware that I was responding to someone who was downplaying the importance of third-level education for our society.

Actually I wasn't. I just love taking posts out of context. And making double-entendres about dilly-dallying (e.g. - I dilly-dallied your old lady last night!)

In conclusion - get a job!

I have a job or did you not read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Degsy wrote: »
    Where to start...first off you dont drive anything.You've admitted to being on the dole.
    Secondly you as an unemployed person have no right to look down of carpenters,taxi men and plumbers.
    In your arrogance you seemed to overlook the fact that these people will ALLWAYS have work..recession or no recession.Show me a poor carpenter or a plumber with no money.
    Now,you think that google is going to provide you with a job for life you're very sadly mistaken.In the event of a recession the first people to pull out are foreign multinationals,not skilled tradespeople.
    If this is the sort of career-guidence people are coming out with these days,th eoutlook for the economy is grim indeed.
    Im on the dole because I have been out of work for 5 weeks after taking a year off to travel the world and Im not due to start my new job till next week. (Does that make you mad Degsy? College was a real waste for me, Im sure I could do that if id stuck to your plan of working since I was 17 lol)

You think carpenters will always have work do you? LOL, next time its your turn to go down in the van to get the breakfast rolls maybe you should buy a copy of a newspaper that isnt the star and check whats happening in the country.

I dont look down on anyone who works any job, just the likes of you and your taxi driver mates who utter the uniformed, ignorant drivel youve spouted in this thread. Stick to your whining and leave your betters to running the country, good lad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

I'm not a racist, but i had to go to my social welfare officer a few weeks ago to drop in a form for the medical card, and before some says's anything I'm a carer for my wife who is disabled. there were about 20 or so people waiting to see him and out of the 20 people waiting 5 were Irish and the rest were non-nationals, if their not begging on the street their begging of the state,
    why cant the goverment make them f**k off bad to where they came from,
    it makes me sick to see the f**kers driving around the town. and i'd bet with no insurance.
    i know for a fact how this works. non-nationals come to ireland with a big family 10 or more, buy a car and insure it in one name.but the whole family are driving the car, if they get stopped by the cops....."ME NO SPEACK NO ENGLASH" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

mossie110 wrote: »
    I'm not a racist, but i had to go to my social welfare officer a few weeks ago to drop in a form for the medical card, and before some says's anything I'm a carer for my wife who is disabled. there were about 20 or so people waiting to see him and out of the 20 people waiting 5 were Irish and the rest were non-nationals, if their not begging on the street their begging of the state,
    why cant the goverment make them f**k off bad to where they came from,
    it makes me sick to see the f**kers driving around the town. and i'd bet with no insurance.
    i know for a fact how this works. non-nationals come to ireland with a big family 10 or more, buy a car and insure it in one name.but the whole family are driving the car, if they get stopped by the cops....."ME NO SPEACK NO ENGLASH" :mad:

Ignorance in all it's glory! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mossie110 wrote: »
    I'm not a racist, but
    Classic mate, classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

If anyone repeatedly spitting the venom they're spouting in this thread put half the same heart into the issues they seem to profess concern for they'd actually be able to do something about said issues. What are you wasting the time on your soapbox for, when you've got the theories that'll save the world all locked up in that magnificent brain of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'm just loving this idea of a studentless world, where we all get jobs straight after school.

No idea what in yet, but ah well.

Meanwhile, in this wonderful world, where'll you get doctors from, lawyers, accountants, etc. All the wonderful services that allow an economy to prosper.

At the end of the day, there are people in this country and in others who will try and sponge off the system. There are also people who can't work in this country because they're refugees.

There's a pathetic chip in the shoulder attitude about foreigners, as if they somehow owe us something. Given the legacy of our people in terms of abusing systems etc in the past when Irish people fecked off to every corner of the globe, perhaps we now know what it feels like. Some of you lads are reminiscent of some 1980s Thatcherite Tory moaning about lazy drunken Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Solution: Anyone can come to Ireland as long as they pass a criminal background check and speak English. When they get here they have to have X amount to support themselves for X amount of time. They can apply for any job... but can not sign on, commit crimes or even use free health care or education for say, 5 or 7 years. If they do they're deported, no questions asked.
    Population of Ireland: 4 million
    Population of Nigeria: 120 million

Somehow I don't think you've thought your cunning plan through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

stevoman wrote: »
    So we are all being told to be prepared to tighten our belts, suck it up and get ready for financial turmoil. Our fags are going up, drink is going up and all of us who get up off out arses everyday to work are being told that our tax's are going up. Even if we go on bloody holiday to get away from it all we are going to be bent over and taxed on that too!!

My question is though, as i passed by a social welafre office the other day and seen non nationals and refugee's ( and a far less amount of Irish people there) standing outside it queing, is the goverment going to have the balls to tell some of these people, "sorry we have no money to give you, maybe you will have to back to your own countires as we cant afford to pay you social welfare payments anymore"?

ps - this is a real discussion as the goverment has distanced itself away from the immegration arguement and its not a racist troll thread!
    I reckon the country wouldn't be in recession if refugees and immigrants weren't here.
    A few reasons why, most non nationals send most of there back home i.e. Poland. The money isn't been spent here, the money is coming in one hand and going out the other.
    Look at the Nigerian immigrants here, only 36% of the Nigerian people legally aloud to work actually work. The rest are bottom-end feeders feeding off the taxpayer. There not pulling there weight at all. Thats only nigerian's, imagine the figure for all the rest:eek:
    Now EU nationals on the dole, thats a joke! They are costing the state millions every year. They come here to work, most do but then others are left on the dole. Flying back and forth home just to collect the dole, thats sickening but not surprising.
    Non-nationals or refugees shouldn't be aloud to get benefits IMO.
    But if Conor Lenihan and Brian lenihan say its OK it must be!

*refreshes page awaiting to be calling a racist*

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭el_bandita

Plug wrote: »
    I reckon the country wouldn't be in recession if refugees and immigrants weren't here.
    A few reasons why, most non nationals send most of there back home i.e. Poland. The money isn't been spent here, the money is coming in one hand and going out the other.

Yeah, and we Poles live here on air. We don't buy food, don't pay rents and don't go to cinemas...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Now EU nationals on the dole, thats a joke! They are costing the state millions every year. They come here to work, most do but then others are left on the dole. Flying back and forth home just to collect the dole, thats sickening but not surprising.

I wont be calling you a racist because by standards of some here i am one myself.
    But above statement i can not really accept.
    I live in this country now for almost 7 years. Worked every single day of it, paid my taxes.
    According to you i should not get a dime the second i lose my job. I could live with that idea. But then also tell the taxoffice to give me back all my taxes i paid in these 7 years.
    And before you are telling me that i pay tax for roads and health care and all. I dont drive a car.
    On occasions i rent one but to be honest, the roads here are so bad, i should get paid to use them.
    Health care? In 7 years i never visited a GP or hospital. I honestly believe i pay more tax than i get back for it. A lot more.

I totally agree that abuse of Social Welfare by "non-nationals and refugees" is unacceptable. But be honest, you dont need to be non-Irish to abuse Social Welfare, is it?

One of the reasons i came to live and work in this country was because i got sick and tired to see 50% of my salary disapear in all kind of taxes in my own country.
    It is really not that bad here (yet).
    Lets just make sure it will never get that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Look at the Nigerian immigrants here, only 36% of the Nigerian people legally aloud to work actually work. The rest are bottom-end feeders feeding off the taxpayer. There not pulling there weight at all. Thats only nigerian's, imagine the figure for all the rest:eek:

If only 36% of Nigerians are allowed work, what are the rest supposed to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Meanwhile, in this wonderful world, where'll you get doctors from, lawyers, accountants, etc. All the wonderful services that allow an economy to prosper.

Probably foreign nationals actually. Well maybe not as lawyers straight away though!

A highly educated, highly motivated foreign national would think nothing of getting a professional job, doing it faultlessly and doing it for a lot longer per day than the average Irish worker. This is plausible especially for migrant workers who are improving the lot of their family back home for example.

Also the whole Star reading builder stereotype is a bit nauseous. Builders are at the coal face in competing with foreign nationals for jobs. It'll be interesting to see how professionals etc manage when it's their jobs at risk from cheaper, more enthusiastic, workers.

It's easy to preach tolerance, peace and love until you suddenly find yourself working twelve hours a day desperately trying to keep up with Olga in accounts.

Well then you have no idea what you are talking about. Funny how their seems to be a direct correlation between ignorance and anti-immigration notions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If only 36% of Nigerians are allowed work, what are the rest supposed to do?

They should never had been admitted. It's the monumental failure of the FF govt, the unmonitored influx of undeserving immigrants with no desire to contribute to our society.

And that is the responsibility of any immigrant to any new country.

I don't think we are in recession because of immigrants abusing the social welfare system, but if we had been more strict on them, I doubt the budget would have been so severe. Maybe we wouldn't have lost the over 70s automatic medical card. Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ellebelle

I was on a flight last thursday to another European city and beside me was a gentleman who appeared to have some socaial welfare documents in his possession and as we were disembarking the plane was changing his sim card on his phone to a local sim. Now without being accused of adding 1 +1 and getting 5 i do fear that he was over for him montly/bi-monthtly signing on and heading off back home.

Can someone please explain to me why people can claim childrens allowance for children that do not live in this country & if this agreement or understading is reciprocated by any other country in the EU?

I do think a strong hand has to be taken with regard to socail welfare and this includes our own too. I know some people living not too far from where I live in brand new 2/3 bedroom houses given to them by our county council. One of these, who I happen to be releated too was given planning premission with her boyfriend to build a house a mile from where the council gave her a 3 bed roomed house.

I also have a good friend working for a county council down the country who saved her house deposit from milage & expenses which was regularly overestimated and some of it she was down right not entitled to....ie train tickets etc... when she got a lift from somone.

The system is too easy to ride and regardless of your ethnicity etc... you shouldn't be allowed do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

ellebelle wrote: »
    The system is too easy to ride and regardless of your ethnicity etc... you shouldn't be allowed do it.

Well said ellebelle. Nationality is irrelevant.

Advertisement