Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Nationals, Refugee's and the Budget.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

The same way I can spot another Irishman when I am abroad. I don't know how I can tell but I am usually right. Same here I can usually tell if someone is not from Ireland without having to speak to them, most people can, but I suspect that's not where you were going with your post!

Sorry, this attitude IS racist. You're basically saying anyone who doesn't have pasty skin and freckles isn't Irish and shouldn't be claiming. 99% of people who see me before they hear me speak think I'm foreign. I'm a small small part Italian which shows in my appearance, but I'm Irish and my family has been here for centuries. I'm sick of people acting like my parents are immigrants or like I don't belong. I have friends who are of Indian, Chinese and African backgrounds who were born here, brought up here and sound as Irish as anyone else. Wake up to the 21st century. This stupid attitude of making assumptions about peoples' nationality based on their appearance has no place in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Or like in Australia where you have to work for the dole.

I think this is a great idea. Make them work for the money that they get. Doesn't matter whether it's cleaning the streets or mowing public areas in the community. They should be made to contribute to the community for their money like everynoe else. And that goes for everyone on the dole be it Irish or non national.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mena wrote: »
    So to hell with the almost 400 000 Euro I've paid in taxes since I've been here?

yep, think of it as rent :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Gyalist wrote: »
    How do you identify a refugee/non-national from everyone else? I'd like to know how you do it.

They'll be the ones stealing your children...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Claire121 wrote: »
    Sorry, this attitude IS racist. You're basically saying anyone who doesn't have pasty skin and freckles isn't Irish and shouldn't be claiming. 99% of people who see me before they hear me speak think I'm foreign. I'm a small small part Italian which shows in my appearance, but I'm Irish and my family has been here for centuries. I'm sick of people acting like my parents are immigrants or like I don't belong. I have friends who are of Indian, Chinese and African backgrounds who were born here, brought up here and sound as Irish as anyone else. Wake up to the 21st century. This stupid attitude of making assumptions about peoples' nationality based on their appearance has no place in this day and age.

That's why he said he is usually right, the usually would tend to indicate that he could sometimes be wrong, due to a minority of Irish having different skin colour etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Your quite right it IS racist, I have the ability to tell one race from another! So there, I have agreed with you, what are you going to do with your impotant moral outrage now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Or like in Australia where you have to work for the dole.

I agree with this, there are enough areas throughout the city that are covered in grafitti or green areas that could do with a bit of maintenance. This could easily be handled by people claiming the dole. They don't show up for the work they don't get paid. It would probably help weed out some of the waster's who are permenantly unemployed and maybe get rid of some of the stigma attached to social welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Welcome to human nature..people making assumptions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I think this is a great idea. Make them work for the money that they get. Doesn't matter whether it's cleaning the streets or mowing public areas in the community. They should be made to contribute to the community for their money like everynoe else. And that goes for everyone on the dole be it Irish or non national.
    Bit hard to look for a job if youre working for the dole isnt it? Ive just got off the dole after 5 weeks of gruelling job hunting, id still be there if I had to work every day.

99% of people who see me before they hear me speak think I'm foreign. I'm a small small part Italian which shows in my appearance, but I'm Irish and my family has been here for centuries.

only centuries? blow-ins!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I agree with this, there are enough areas throughout the city that are covered in grafitti or green areas that could do with a bit of maintenance. This could easily be handled by people claiming the dole. They don't show up for the work they don't get paid. It would probably help weed out some of the waster's who are permenantly unemployed and maybe get rid of some of the stigma attached to social welfare.

That's exactly what happened in Australia - don't show up you don't get paid. Guess what happened? People went and got "real" jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

There was some crazy statistic I saw a few weeks ago.
    ~17% of the people on social welfare are non-nationals. Now thats scary seeing as they dont even account for ~17% of the population last time i checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Mena wrote: »
    So to hell with the almost 400 000 Euro I've paid in taxes since I've been here?

400k?

Time to find yourself a good accountant.

And,

If your that rich, are you seeing anyone?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

Hah, you're totally missing the point. First of all, you might want to look up the difference between race and nationality. This is also racist - there are black Irish citizens and white illegals here. Assuming someone is foreign/illegal because of their appearance is racist! Only in Ireland is this acceptable. I have a Chinese-American friend studying over here and she's appalled by comments like 'you speak English so well'. It's downright embarrassing in this day and age.

Secondly, you cannot tell where someone is from just from looking at them. In my case, you'd be wrong, so how many other people have you looked at and thought they were foreign when they're actually from Coolock? You can't possibly know!

CiaranC wrote: »
    Bit hard to look for a job if youre working for the dole isnt it? Ive just got off the dole after 5 weeks of gruelling job hunting, id still be there if I had to work every day.

Bit hard to get a job as well when most of them sit on their ass all day doing nothing and have no intention of getting a job. Did you spend 8/9 hours of every day looking for a job for those 5 weeks or did you do up your c.v and send it to a few places, wait till you saw more suitable jobs and send out another batch of c.v's?

There's nothing to say you can't work and job hunt at the same time. Most of us have to do it at some stage.

I have a Chinese-American friend studying over here and she's appalled by comments like 'you speak English so well'. It's downright embarrassing in this day and age.

Well so many americans speak such poor english that its probably a bit of a suprise

But what about people who are 6 months or more on dole and no job with them. I know plenty of people (friends included) who have no interest whatsoever in getting a job, they should be made to do something.
    If you can't get yourself a job after 2 months then you should be told what you will be working at and earn the money, get rid of this idea that there's free money in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

we should really look after our own first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Hah, you're totally missing the point. First of all, you might want to look up the difference between race and nationality. This is also racist - there are black Irish citizens and white illegals here. Assuming someone is foreign/illegal because of their appearance is racist! Only in Ireland is this acceptable. I have a Chinese-American friend studying over here and she's appalled by comments like 'you speak English so well'. It's downright embarrassing in this day and age.

Secondly, you cannot tell where someone is from just from looking at them. In my case, you'd be wrong, so how many other people have you looked at and thought they were foreign when they're actually from Coolock? You can't possibly know!

Actually no I'm not, what I was doing was taking the piss out of you and your ridiculus attitude, you may not be a racist but you certainly sound like a fanatic which is far worse in my book! Oh look I have gone and made an assumption about you from your post! Why don't you come back and tell me I'm wrong and that you can't tell if someone is a fanatic from one post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I have a Chinese-American friend studying over here and she's appalled by comments like 'you speak English so well'.

She shouldn't be. She should say 'So do you, almost like a native!'

regards

C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Bit hard to get a job as well when most of them sit on their ass all day doing nothing and have no intention of getting a job. Did you spend 8/9 hours of every day looking for a job for those 5 weeks or did you do up your c.v and send it to a few places, wait till you saw more suitable jobs and send out another batch of c.v's?

There's nothing to say you can't work and job hunt at the same time. Most of us have to do it at some stage.
    I spent all day every day looking for a job and I was damn lucky to get one in this climate. I ran into dozens of hiring-freezes.

I have to laugh at this anti-dole bull****, Ive paid hundreds of thousands in tax into the ecxueqor as well as years of social insurance to the state, I was entitled to claim a tiny part of my own money back.

Yous will all be on the dole soon enough yourselves, well see if yous change your tune then.

Yep your right there, but your missing the point. If I stood on the street and was asked to point out from the next 200 people that passed which of them were not Irish born I bet I'd get the most of them right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

we should really look after our own first

I have never been robbed, abused, assaulted, insulted or intimidated by a non national.

I have been by "our own"

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

Maybe just for long term dolers, like if you on for a few months you gotta do a few days a week or every second week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Was listening to the radio on the way in to work today and they were on about delapadated schools thhat were due to get renovated but now wont. The idea was to get dole people in to carry out the work in payment for their dole money.

I dont agree entirely with the "Bit hard to look for a job if youre working for the dole" ... how do you think people who move jobs manage it?

There could be a system in place where by the working requirement only kicks in after "x" amount of time signing on, and even at that it wouldnt necessarily have to be a full 37-40 hour week so it would give time for job seeking/application/interviews etc.

Who knows ... it could even lead to people getting new skills and experience allowing them to change career and get a better paid full time job!

One thing is certain though, it would weed out some of the lazy dole bludgers.
    (fully understand not everyone is dole bludger and everyones circumstances are different but it can only help things is a proper system is implemented)

I spent all day every day looking for a job and I was damn lucky to get one in this climate. I ran into dozens of hiring-freezes.

I have to laugh at this anti-dole bull****, Ive paid hundreds of thousands in tax into the ecxueqor as well as years of social insurance to the state, I was entitled to claim a tiny part of my own money back.

Yous will all be on the dole soon enough yourselves, well see if yous change your tune then.

Who's anti-dole? We're all paid thousands/hundreds of thousands in tax to the exchequer. Why shouldn't we ask that those who haven't contributed and have no intention of ever contributing work for the money that they are getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

In my case, you'd be wrong, so how many other people have you looked at and thought they were foreign when they're actually from Coolock? You can't possibly know!

Hold on, don't go putting us upstanding citizens in the same boat as the "bloody foreigners". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I'd say if the truth be known the government are sick that in the past 10 years they never tackeld the issue of spongers coming here and giving it the ''I'm a refugee,I have no paperwork,I am under threat of death in my country etc etc'' 80% of this was bullshi*e and one government minister went as far as to say it a couple of years back. for fuc*k sake why wouldn't they come here!!!

We now need to have the balls to say ok folks we all had it good, now its over, off you pop.

And before all the nice people out there jump in with blah fu*cking blah it is well known that 80% of ''refugees'' are here for the easy life.

Now if people want to ignore whats going on around them thats fine, but I'm sick to death of paying taxes etc so the government can look good in europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

No-one's saying you weren't entitled to the welfare payments you received.

I agree with the concept of making people work for their dole payments. 4/5 hours even would be enough. I can see it work if there was supervision - if you need time off to attend a job interview, produce evidence to that effect etc.

You'd see a dramatic drop-off of people on the live register that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

TBH I think the reason for the thread is what I call "its bad enough" ideology.

Basically the attitude that "its bad enough" that we have to pay for alot of "our own" benefit claiming spoungers (not that everyone on benefit is a spounger) whothout having to pay for Non-eu benefit claiming spoungers

Advertisement