Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Nationals, Refugee's and the Budget.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Bambi wrote: »
    yep, think of it as rent :pac:

Yeah, to prop up those lazy irish bastards who simply could not be arsed to work.

I want my money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

CiaranC wrote: »

I have to laugh at this anti-dole bull****, Ive paid hundreds of thousands in tax into the ecxueqor as well as years of social insurance to the state, I was entitled to claim a tiny part of my own money back.

Yous will all be on the dole soon enough yourselves, well see if yous change your tune then.

Not really, I am facing the prospect of having to partially claim the dole because my hours are being cut, if I can afford to live without it I will and if I have to sign on it will be a last resort. Nothing worse than standing in the queue and looking around thinking "Jesus, everyone thinks I am like these people."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Oh I'm sorry, you're under the impression that by paying taxes you've become an irish citizen, sorry champ you'll have to buy a couple of dog food factories or soemthing before that happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hungryjohnjohn

Kick them off and out. I have heard of people flying in once a month signing on then flying out then getting our tax every week [wishful thinking on our end].How many companys came in promising irish jobs then filled them with foreign workers.We should be took off the dole and given the jobs and those lads/ladies sent home not put on support[they can look for that at home]. Is it true some were offered 000'sto go home.

caoibhin wrote: »
    400k?

Time to find yourself a good accountant.

And,

If your that rich, are you seeing anyone?..

Already married, but happy to perpetuate the "I'm here stealing yer wimmins" myth :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Oh I'm sorry, you're under the impression that by paying taxes you've become an irish citizen, sorry champ you'll have to but a couple of dog food factories or soemthing before that happens

Well, actually - you are entitled to become an Irish citizen if you have worked in Ireland legally for five years.

And then we wonder why we're going down the crapper

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Well, actually - you are entitled to become an Irish citizen if you have worked in Ireland legally for five years.

Unless you've been on the dole in the past three years, in which case they deny you.

And then we wonder why we're going down the crapper

Probably because of the lazy Irish nationals born here with a sense of entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Not really, I am facing the prospect of having to partially claim the dole because my hours are being cut, if I can afford to live without it I will and if I have to sign on it will be a last resort. Nothing worse than standing in the queue and looking around thinking "Jesus, everyone thinks I am like these people."
    I take it you were born in 1982? 'Like these people', pffft. You ARE these people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

caoibhin wrote: »
    I have never been robbed, abused, assaulted, insulted or intimidated by a non national.

I have been by "our own"

you should stand up to those terrible ruffians:D

Mena wrote: »
    Unless you've been on the dole in the past three years, in which case they deny you.

Eh, if you work here for five continuous years with the appropriate visas and work permits you can apply to become an Irish citizen.

Last time I looked, being on the dole wasn't work.

CiaranC wrote: »
    I take it you were born in 1982? 'Like these people', pffft. You ARE these people.

If I was these people I would already be on the dole.....hello...common sense are you out there?

Eh, if you work here for five continuous years with the appropriate visas and work permits you can apply to become an Irish citizen.

Last time I looked, being on the dole wasn't work.

So, I work for 2 years, get made redundant, claim dole for 2 months, get re-employed, work for another 3 years, then claim for naturalisation and I get denied, was my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

Yep your right there, but your missing the point. If I stood on the street and was asked to point out from the next 200 people that passed which of them were not Irish born I bet I'd get the most of them right.

You might get a lot of them right, but you'd be very, very surprised how many Irish people don't 'look' Irish. I see people on the bus all the time who most would presume to be 'non-nationals' and then they answer their phone and speak in the most D4 accent possible.

LMAO that I'm a 'fanatic' because I don't think you can judge nationality on appearance. I think a lot of Irish people are just ignorant about how many different races are EU citizens from France, UK and even Ireland itself. A lot of the black people I know here are French nationals and they still get treated like illegal scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nothing worse than standing in the queue and looking around thinking "Jesus, everyone thinks I am like these people."

They are all no doubt thinking the same thing as you, so let me help: you are standing in a queue to receive unemployment benefit of some sort. So are they. Glass houses. Stones. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Claire121 wrote: »
    You might get a lot of them right, but you'd be very, very surprised how many Irish people don't 'look' Irish. I see people on the bus all the time who most would presume to be 'non-nationals' and then they answer their phone and speak in the most D4 accent possible.

LMAO that I'm a 'fanatic' because I don't think you can judge nationality on appearance. I think a lot of Irish people are just ignorant about how many different races are EU citizens from France, UK and even Ireland itself. A lot of the black people I know here are French nationals and they still get treated like illegal scum.

By whom?

stovelid wrote: »
    They are all no doubt thinking the same thing as you, so let me help: you are standing in a queue to receive unemployment benefit of some sort. So are they. Glass houses. Stones. That is all.

Not all would be, there are a lot of people who are quite content with being on the dole and its something that the government should go out of its way to do something about. As I said earlier if they worked for what they recieved then maybe some of the scumbag/waster stigma would not be attached to it.

Mena wrote: »
    So, I work for 2 years, get made redundant, claim dole for 2 months, get re-employed, work for another 3 years, then claim for naturalisation and I get denied, was my point.

Yeah - that sucks all right. Similar has happened to two people I know. One said screw it and went home the other persisted and got the five continuous years under the belt and got citizenship.

In both instances it was HR forgetting to renew visas that broke up the five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Gyalist wrote: »
    How do you identify a refugee/non-national from everyone else? I'd like to know how you do it.
    easy, i keep an eye on your ma's house and watch them coming in and out! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

By whom?

Bouncers, randomers, everyone really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

Well the fact is a country without immigrants is not a country any of us wants to live in... if people don't want to migrate here it means we are not worth migrating to. A country with a robust economy is going to (and should) attract immigrants, in fact we need immigrants for our economy to grow, yes even "unskilled" immigrants.

However, we don't need immigrants taking social welfare, or committing crimes... so what do we do?

When Asylum seekers come here we put them up in housing and give them a weekly allowance and tell them not to work because we don't want them taking Irish jobs. In other words: We force them on the dole.

So we don't want them working, we want to give them money for free? What sense does that make.

Solution: Anyone can come to Ireland as long as they pass a criminal background check and speak English. When they get here they have to have X amount to support themselves for X amount of time. They can apply for any job... but can not sign on, commit crimes or even use free health care or education for say, 5 or 7 years. If they do they're deported, no questions asked.

This will insure that hard working honest immigrants stay and we get the best people the world has to offer... and with an open door policy like that, and a 0% corporate tax, employers will flock to headquarter in Ireland.

Then all we need to do is improve our infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Ask yourself one question........if tomorrow the state decided to stop all, and I mean all payment to refugees and give them food stamps and hostel lodgings how many would stay!!! very few....they would head to the next most generous country.

A huge % of these refugees have a better standard of living then some nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not all would be, there are a lot of people who are quite content with being on the dole and its something that the government should go out of its way to do something about. As I said earlier if they worked for what they recieved then maybe some of the scumbag/waster stigma would not be attached to it.

I'm perplexed that somebody with your ability to read the minds of the other people in the queue is short of work? Couldn't you harness your clairvoyant powers in the stock market or criminal investigation fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Sorry, this attitude IS racist. You're basically saying anyone who doesn't have pasty skin and freckles isn't Irish and shouldn't be claiming. 99% of people who see me before they hear me speak think I'm foreign. I'm a small small part Italian which shows in my appearance, but I'm Irish and my family has been here for centuries. I'm sick of people acting like my parents are immigrants or like I don't belong. I have friends who are of Indian, Chinese and African backgrounds who were born here, brought up here and sound as Irish as anyone else. Wake up to the 21st century. This stupid attitude of making assumptions about peoples' nationality based on their appearance has no place in this day and age.
    KEYBOARD POO POO!! I lived in new yourk for a few years and i could spot an irishman a mile away and the same vice versa. To the extent i might add that i even have walked across grand centrel station locked eyes with another paddy and we gave each other a big "how ya gettin on". So why dont you go float off on your political correct cloud and go save the world somwehere else, how is the man by saying that being racsit??????. Its very easy spot somewhon who is Irish. you say your small part Italian, well that now all of our fault you look small part Italain then????

not yet wrote: »
    A huge % of these refugees have a better standard of living then some nationals.

Source? That's a very Sinn Fein style unsubstantiated comment.

Probably because of the lazy Irish nationals born here with a sense of entitlement.

That sounds like racism to me, halps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Bouncers, randomers, everyone really.

And of course you or your friends have reported all of the above for racial abuse?

That sounds like racism to me, halps!!

It's not racist because I'm Irish. There there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I have a Chinese-American friend studying over here and she's appalled by comments like 'you speak English so well'. It's downright embarrassing in this day and age.

the VAST majority of asian looking people are from Asia so its a vaild assumption to make
    Well so many americans speak such poor english that its probably a bit of a suprise

:D LOL

True, true

Advertisement