Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Nationals, Refugee's and the Budget.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm perplexed that somebody with your ability to read the minds of the other people in the queue is short of work? Couldn't you harness your clairvoyant powers in the stock market or criminal investigation fields?

Never claimed to have read anyones minds, I said what I would think if it was me standing in the dole queue. You were the one to mention that everyone else in the queue would be thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I have heard of people flying in once a month signing on then flying out then getting our tax every week

Any evidence/newspaper articles (not the Daily Mail) to back that up? I mean I've heard of RFID tags the lizard people plant under your skin to track your movements. It doesn't make it true.
    Is it true some were offered 000'sto go home.

That idea was mooted a little while ago but hasn't come to anything yet. It's unlikely it will either from a purely practical point of view.
    Claire121 wrote: »
    You might get a lot of them right, but you'd be very, very surprised how many Irish people don't 'look' Irish. I see people on the bus all the time who most would presume to be 'non-nationals' and then they answer their phone and speak in the most D4 accent possible.

LMAO that I'm a 'fanatic' because I don't think you can judge nationality on appearance. I think a lot of Irish people are just ignorant about how many different races are EU citizens from France, UK and even Ireland itself. A lot of the black people I know here are French nationals and they still get treated like illegal scum.

You're still missing the point. Nobody seriously said absolutely every Irish person looks a certain way. In general, in Ireland it is easy to tell who is Irish and who isn't. That's an indisputable fact. Stop trying to turn this into a racist issue. It's exactly this attitude that you can't discuss nationalities/immigrants/race without being cast as a racist that stops these things being discussed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

not yet wrote: »
    Ask yourself one question........if tomorrow the state decided to stop all, and I mean all payment to refugees and give them food stamps and hostel lodgings how many would stay!!! very few....they would head to the next most generous country.

A huge % of these refugees have a better standard of living then some nationals.

Yep, I got two free cars when I arrived, and a fat mortgage too. They threw some wimmins at me at the same time but I had too much to carry at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

My BF is a qualified electrician. Worked the 4 years to get qualified with a big company. Year he got qualified he got let go due to his wages going up and the company not being able to ''afford him''. He got another job and lasted 5 months till that guy got quiet. Then he spent a few months on stamps before being re-employed ( and subsequently get go again a few weeks ago! ). But the time he was on claiming stamps was the lowest of his life... he lost all confidence and felt like he was a sponge. I know for a fact that if he had to work for his keep he would have had no problems with it. He sent cv's off to every company in our county and provence every fortnight with the hope of getting back into electrics and eventually he had to give up and take another route all together.
    I do however disagree with foreigners coming in to Ireland and not lifting a finger yet getting the dole and allowances freely every week. I know we have a slight over-crowding issue in recent years with Eastern Europeans, but at least they work for their supper (all beit doing it at a cheaper rate than us and being employed first! :))
    What excuse have the others? Yes, ok i know your country is war-ridden and human rights were completly over-looked but what kind of government have we that we let them stay and pay them a weekly allowance, give them new houses, give them more money than they sometimes know what to do with without them lifting a finger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Mena wrote: »
    So, I work for 2 years, get made redundant, claim dole for 2 months, get re-employed, work for another 3 years, then claim for naturalisation and I get denied, was my point.

See this is the problem, we don't want you, and ya still don't get the message.:p

It like you keep ringing the door bell even though we don't answer...

/hides behind curtains to look out at doorbell ringers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never claimed to have read anyones minds, I said what I would think if it was me standing in the dole queue. You were the one to mention that everyone else in the queue would be thinking the same.

Who knows the circumstances of anybody in a dole queue? If you or I were in that queue, the others could easily be thinking Jesus, everyone thinks I am like these people about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

See this is the problem, we don't want you, and ya still don't get the message.:p

It like you keep ringing the door bell even though we don't answer...

/hides behind curtains to look out at doorbell ringers

I'm a tough bastard. I'm here until I've taken all yer jobs and all yer wimmins, Your Ma as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Source? That's a very Sinn Fein style unsubstantiated comment.

Listen pal you waffle all you like with your p.c crap I'm telling you from first hand experience,I have a sister and a friend who work for welfare and they are blown away by how tuned into the benefit trail refugees are. besides having rent paid by the HSE,weekly welfare payment, childrens allowance, they know all the tricks in the book.

On the otherhand we do have some genuine refugees here and they sould be looked after and intergrated into Ireland while the rest should be fu*cked off home. the problem is finding a system thats fair and open in doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

supermouse wrote: »
    I do however disagree with foreigners coming in to Ireland and not lifting a finger yet getting the dole and allowances freely every week.
    Id have a problem with that too, if it actually happened. :rolleyes:

You cant claim the dole without two years PRSI contributions in this country.

How many times?

I'm a tough bastard. I'm here until I've taken all yer jobs and all yer wimmins, Your Ma as well!

Ya can have them all, I'm going on the dole. Then with all my spare time I can track you down and mess with all the stolen wimmins while you doing 65,823 jobs you stole from us:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Listen pal you waffle all you like with your p.c crap I'm telling you from first hand experience,I have a sister and a friend who work for welfare and they are blown away by how tuned into the benefit trail refugees are. besides having rent paid by the HSE,weekly welfare payment, childrens allowance, they know all the tricks in the book.

On the otherhand we do have some genuine refugees here and they sould be looked after and intergrated into Ireland while the rest should be fu*cked off home. the problem is finding a system thats fair and open in doing this.

Nice bit of sensationalist hearsay there. (are you a Sinn Fein slogan writer?) Now, back to the source - official numbers anyone?

Yep, I got two free cars when I arrived, and a fat mortgage too. They threw some wimmins at me at the same time but I had too much to carry at that point.

So you came here originaly as a refugee....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

KEYBOARD POO POO!! I lived in new yourk for a few years and i could spot an irishman a mile away and the same vice versa. To the extent i might add that i even have walked across grand centrel station locked eyes with another paddy and we gave each other a big "how ya gettin on". So why dont you go float off on your political correct cloud and go save the world somwehere else, how is the man by saying that being racsit??????. Its very easy spot somewhon who is Irish. you say your small part Italian, well that now all of our fault you look small part Italain then????

No. You just don't get it. You spotted the typical paddy. There might have been another ten Irishmen there who you didn't spot. Because they didn't look like whatever your idea of Irish is. That's the point I'm making. I'm the least PC person in the world, I just find this attitude bordering on ridiculous. Would you have spotted Colin Farrell as an Irishman in Grand Central (before he was famous)? I doubt it.

I'm not offended - as a foreign looking person in Ireland, I'm used to idiotic comments. But it's just silly and arrogant to think you can really know exactly who is Irish and who isn't. Your comment about it being your fault I look Italian, that's just laughable. I know I look Italian, and I'd much rather that than be pasty skinned and freckly. But I AM Irish, and any assumptions you'd make would be wrong. My 2 best guy friends are very dark haired and Spanish looking, yet are totally Irish as far as they know. You'd probably be wrong about them too. This Irish obsession with putting people in boxes is just strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

CiaranC wrote: »

How many times?

You cannot claim the dole but you are intitled to claim benefits without ever working in the state!

Also a small thing like giving non-nationals childrens allowances for kids not in the state.
    Stop this fucking stupidity now

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

How many times?

ok so maybe the ''dole'' was the wrong word, pardon me, im not really into the social welfare slang!

However they do receive handouts to beat the band - whatever name you want to put on it they're sponging off us and doing absolutly nothing for our country in return.

Well, apart from giving us a whole new fashion craze... trucker hats backwards and the waist of their jeans around their knees :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

No. You just don't get it. You spotted the typical paddy. There might have been another ten Irishmen there who you didn't spot. Because they didn't look like whatever your idea of Irish is. That's the point I'm making. I'm the least PC person in the world, I just find this attitude bordering on ridiculous. Would you have spotted Colin Farrell as an Irishman in Grand Central (before he was famous)? I doubt it.

I'm not offended - as a foreign looking person in Ireland, I'm used to idiotic comments. But it's just silly and arrogant to think you can really know exactly who is Irish and who isn't. Your comment about it being your fault I look Italian, that's just laughable. I know I look Italian, and I'd much rather that than be pasty skinned and freckly. But I AM Irish, and any assumptions you'd make would be wrong. My 2 best guy friends are very dark haired and Spanish looking, yet are totally Irish as far as they know. You'd probably be wrong about them too. This Irish obsession with putting people in boxes is just strange.

So you look Italian, you have Italian blood, you don't want to look pasty skinned and freckly (Irish by your post) but would be insulted if someone took you for Italian! :confused:

BTW I don't have pasty skin or freckles, but I do look Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

But I AM Irish, and any assumptions you'd make would be wrong. My 2 best guy friends are very dark haired and Spanish looking, yet are totally Irish as far as they know. You'd probably be wrong about them too.

Yes but the point is if you grabbed a hundred people off the streets in Ireland and asked him to say which ones are Irish or not, he'd get the majority of them right.
    This Irish obsession with putting people in boxes is just strange.

Lots of other countries bury their dead in coffins. It's not strictly an Irish thing. That's just racist. :)

supermouse wrote: »
    ok so maybe the ''dole'' was the wrong word, pardon me, im not really into the social welfare slang!

However they do receive handouts to beat the band - whatever name you want to put on it they're sponging off us and doing absolutly nothing for our country in return.

Well, apart from giving us a whole new fashion craze... trucker hats backwards and the waist of their jeans around their knees :):)

Ah - we, the cosmopolitan Irish.

Man I can't wait to get out of this country.

Nice bit of sensationalist hearsay there. (are you a Sinn Fein slogan writer?) Now, back to the source - official numbers anyone?

There's just no making a point with some people. why the fu*k do people look for offcial ''numbers'' the dogs on the street in working class areas see whats happening.

There's just no making a point with some people. why the fu*k do people look for offcial ''numbers'' the dogs on the street in working class areas see whats happening.

Because over 98% of people collecting social welfare and payouts from the Irish government are Irish. Only 0.003% are non nationals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

true but just for reference this was discussed before on boards:

Black immigrants are nine times more likely than white Irish nationals to be unemployed, a new survey has found.

The study of the experience of immigrants in the Irish labour market, published by the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI)

Why has this not been addressed by the Dept of Welfare/irish government immigration policy? so we dont need to start means testing over 70's on medicals cards etc

So you look Italian, you have Italian blood, you don't want to look pasty skinned and freckly (Irish by your post) but would be insulted if someone took you for Italian!

No. Not insulted. That is not my point! I'm simply saying if you made assumptions about me based on my appearance, you'd be wrong! And the same goes for a lot of other Irish people I know.

BTW I don't have pasty skin or freckles, but I do look Irish
    How do you look Irish as opposed to say, Scottish or Welsh? What a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

That's the point I'm making. I'm the least PC person in the world, I just find this attitude bordering on ridiculous. Would you have spotted Colin Farrell as an Irishman in Grand Central (before he was famous)? I doubt it.

I know I look Italian, and I'd much rather that than be pasty skinned and freckly.
    So let me get this right. your annoyed becuase people generalise what irish people look like, yet here you say your glad your not pale skinned and frekly.:confused::confused:

Because over 98% of people collecting social welfare and payouts from the Irish government are Irish. Only 0.003% are non nationals.

98% +0.003% = 98.003%

WTF are the rest of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

How do you look Irish as opposed to say, Scottish or Welsh? What a load of rubbish.

If you saw me on the street your would know............Oh wait, you wouldn't, but most people would!

Maybe he doesn't look pissed off or angry all the time:D

Stop bringing the facts into it, youll upset the ignorant, racist bigots who make up AH.

Or English or American or Canadian or Australian or South African or French or German or Danish...........

• Advertisement

98% +0.003% = 98.003%

WTF are the rest of them?

*sigh* That's the point. Without backup sources throwing out any old numbers is a valid as the next mans blurb.

Advertisement