Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbody, Davy, ISE members

Options
  • 14-10-2008 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I've worked as a business analyst for several years in Ireland, Germany and Asia with several Asset Managers and Wealth Advisory companies.

I'm interested in changing career paths and moving to the trade desk on the sell side. And rather than announce this at my current company, I'm posting here :-)

So, to summarise, I've about 8 years experience in Business Analysis in Asset Management. I understand the fundamentals of portfolio management and how a PM makes his "informed decisions" and how the traders put out their trades to brokers and MO and BO matching and settlement operations.

Are there any posters out there that can advise on the life of a sell-side trader?

Is there someone who works for a ISE member firm that can advise how to go about moving to a traders desk?

The ISE Certificate in Stockbroking: is two modules and multi-choice papers. Is it worth doing? Will it add to my marketability for this type of job? Is it a respected qualification in getting this job?

My degree is in computer science, I've some Bloomberg qualifications in EQ and FI, I've worked in the FO for 2.5 years, implemented trading systems for multiple multinationals. My experience says that there isnt so much a educational profile for a trader, but more of a personality type for someone who can do that job correctly. I've seen electrical engineers, chemical engineers aswell as the more conventional business graduates in these roles. Do you think that education makes a difference or is it indeed personality type?

If you are a trader or know from personal experience, how are the stress levels?

What is Dublin like, in terms of trading desks with the various players (AIB, BoI, Goodbody, Davy etc) And I'm excluding those trade arcade companies and prop shops in this.

Any information on this would be appreciated especially in the "where-do-I-go-from-here" area..
    thanks

Comments

Advertisement