Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing UK Reg (all above board!)

Options
  • 14-10-2008 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have been in London working for the past 6 months and bought a car when I moved here, I plan to move home in december and will be bringing the car over too.

When I re-register it in dublin (no VRT as it will have been registered in my name in UK for more than 6months) what details do I need to present?

I will have proof of english address and vehicle registration certificate, will there be anything else I'll need to get before I move back home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I doubt if you would be considered to be resident in the UK after only 9 months.
    You'd need to show that you were living in the UK for at least a year, and other than for a task of definite duration.

see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055380925

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bcarso

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I think you have to be resident outside the country for a year and a day. And you'll need proof of past insurance, tax, mot etc - basically to prove you had the car for the duration of your stay and you didn't just pick it up to bring home with you. Also theres a restriction on when you can sell the car on over here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Top Dog wrote: »
    I think you have to be resident outside the country for a year and a day. And you'll need proof of past insurance, tax, mot etc - basically to prove you had the car for the duration of your stay and you didn't just pick it up to bring home with you. Also theres a restriction on when you can sell the car on over here too.

Just to ammend, you can sell it any time, but if you sell it within a year you will be liable to pay the VRT. There is no restriction on you selling the car, it will just cost you if you do sell it too soon.

You will either have to convince them that you have been there for over the year. i.e you spent the first few months looking for work the other option would be not to bring the car to be VRT'd for three months after you move home and then say you have just moved back on that day as you took 3 months holiday after you finished work over there. They will look for payslips this is why you will have to say you spent 3 months not working over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would suspect that they would look for more than pay slips in that case - as they often do. Friend that did it had to supply utility bills also - pay slips don't prove much. I've been paid by a UK firm in sterling pounds while resident in Ireland...

MYOB wrote: »
    I would suspect that they would look for more than pay slips in that case - as they often do. Friend that did it had to supply utility bills also - pay slips don't prove much. I've been paid by a UK firm in sterling pounds while resident in Ireland...

I would imagine if the payslips have a UK address on them though and you had a bank statements and maybe a voting card it should do(very easy to register to vote in the UK) . What if the OP was living with a relative it would be unfair to ask for utility bills.

Advertisement