Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who talk to you when you're asleep!

Options
  • 14-10-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

Ok ladies major issue here in disguise! I'm a light enough sleeper and it really ticks me off when people start talking to you when they know you're asleep. I've been told its just cause i is a ladyyyyyyy but i'm not so sure. I'm a bad un for falling asleep in front of the tv too and it really drives me up the wall when people start talking to me to tell me what i've missed. I don't mean hey that was funny lola oh er you're asleep never mind, i mean lola have you seen that stupid ad that has no interest to you, oh you're asleep-lolllaaaaaaaaa lollllllaaa can you hear me etc until i wake up. Also i'm not a good morning person so if anyone tells me something after waking me i probably won't remember, its a lot easier to leave a note!

Anyhow in conclusion, people that talk to you when you're asleep is it ok or a big no no in your opinions and what do you do about it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

It really annoys me. I just tend to ignore them and pretend to be still asleep. If you say anything back it will encourage them. As for falling asleep on the sofa, in common areas, everything is fair game I suppose.

I really hate when people put stuff on the bed when you are asleep in it. That really piss.es me off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

My mother has a tendency to do this in the morning. In my half-awake-half-asleep state it seems I actually reply but I never remember the conversation. Ive told her this many times, yet every time she comes home and I havent done the washing or whatever random task she has asked me to do whilst I was asleep, she goes mad! I sometimes sleep with my eyes open so I can kind of excuse people talking to me while Im asleep. It does look like Im awake apparently. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

My girlfriend HATES being woken. Yikes. The walls in my apartment are pretty thin and my flatmate and his girlfriend have this awful habit of waking up early on weekends. That would be fine. If, of course, they didn't insist on doing their best to wake whoever else is still dreaming. Which herself doesn't appreciate one bit. RAT-TY. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I can be talked to while asleep, process it enough to mumble something back (like "yesh") and never remember it.

Ever.

Kinda sucks when you're woken up early in the morning to be reminded of an errand :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My mother has a tendency to do this in the morning. In my half-awake-half-asleep state it seems I actually reply but I never remember the conversation. Ive told her this many times, yet every time she comes home and I havent done the washing or whatever random task she has asked me to do whilst I was asleep, she goes mad! I sometimes sleep with my eyes open so I can kind of excuse people talking to me while Im asleep. It does look like Im awake apparently. :D

Same here!!! My mam kills me for this ****e!!!

If people wake me while I am trying to sleep it makes me really angry, which is a problem because I go to sleep at 7 am and wake at 330.

Feckers the lot of em!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 teencitizen88

Tragedy wrote: »
    I can be talked to while asleep, process it enough to mumble something back (like "yesh") and never remember it.

Ever.

Kinda sucks when you're woken up early in the morning to be reminded of an errand :p

Maybe parents do it on purpose? Because they know we'll say yes cos we're half asleep?? My mum comes into my room nearly every morning and asks me to do an errand which I'd probably not be too happy about doing normally but I just automatically just answer yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

God I thought this just happened to me! I had to make her start writing stuff down on sticky pads and putting it on the kettle. Only place Im guaranteed to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

A few simple orders are easy enough to remember when half asleep. But when I'm told everything in detail over and over again I just fall back asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

my flatmate does this-wrecks me head.shell just walk into my room see imasleep and start saying cc are you awake,can you hear me cc???????until i say i'm asleep then she ALWAYS says you're not asleep anymore and laughs-one day i'll kill her. messing with sleep is not funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

LolaDub wrote: »
    Anyhow in conclusion, people that talk to you when you're asleep is it ok or a big no no in your opinions and what do you do about it

When it has been teachers, lecturers or bosses I have had to curtail my automatic "wake me and you will feel pain" response.

Although, when it's people waking me up on buses and trains, then i'm usually grateful as otherwise i'd miss my stop. I had a great commute once - the stop for work was the last on the route, so i could safely snooze through the 55 minute bus journey.

I should really see if there could be a career as a lab rat in the Sleep Studies industry - i like sleeping, and think i could enjoy a professional career in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

My mother does this just about every morning. I'll reply somehow opening my eyes and responding multiple times sounding very awake and the second she leaves the room again will fall back to sleep, totally dead to the world and forget whatever i said.

I hate being woken. The OH has an awful tendency to wake me if we're staying together, you'd think he'd have learned by now. I do not like being woken at all at all.

Sleep is sacred and is the one time we should not be disturbed.

My family think sleep is sacred. If you fall asleep on the couch, they get you a duvet and leave you there.
    Nobody makes unnecessary noise when someone is asleep, nevermind attempt to wake them.
    I have actually slept through days at home.

I genuinely didn't know this happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

My housemate comes into my room to wake me up every morning, totally unprompted. It's kinda annoying, but then again it does get me outa the bed for morning lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

This has never happened to me, once i woke up to find my boyfriend telling me how much he loved me etc, just because he thought i couldnt hear him, it was so cute!! Other than that, like moonbaby, sleeping folk are treated with respect!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

JaneyMc wrote: »
    I really hate when people put stuff on the bed when you are asleep in it. That really piss.es me off. :mad:

Yeah, I hate being woken in general - sleep time is sacred time as far as I'm concerned - but this is my greatest pet peeve.

My girlfriend used to be the worst for this if she was coming in form work when I was asleep. The violence of my kicks to get the stuff off it must have nearly taken her out of it once or twice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

oh jaysis, this kills me stone dead! As a kid when I'd be tucked up warm in my bed my dad would wander in with his clothes to hang up in my room, lights on, clothes on my feet... he stopped when in my terrible teens i started kicking them off with all my might! as for my mother.. every bloody morning(including holidays) she would come into the room open the curtains and start shouting.. then take your pillows, then the duvet...if you slept though that she would actually pour a glass of water on your face!! :eek: this at seven in the morning in the summer!! as you can imagine, NOBODY wakes me up anymore.. on pain of death!

Also just to add, when I started going out and staying out all night.. when I came home for a few weeks I did the exact same back to her!! how do ya like them apples biach?!?! :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm a really heavy sleeper and it takes me a while to wake up in the morning... If you try talking to me while I'm still in bed I will not remember it, even if I seemed awake and responded to whatever you said. I am capable of having a full conversation and recalling nothing. I am also an awful liar and will say anything to be left to snooze... If my dad reminds me to get up for college, I'll tell him I'm not in until 12 and happily go back to sleep, and then wake up in a panic a few hours later because I missed an important lab!

Advertisement