Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sixmilebridge Railway Station to re-open May 2009

• 14-10-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭

http://www.limerickleader.ie/shannon/Station-house-purchase-boost-for.4113169.jp

Station house purchase boost for West rail link

Date: 22 May 2008
    By Petula Martyn
    THE former Sixmilebridge railway station house has been bought by Clare County Council to facilitate the Western Rail Corridor, after a gap of over 30 years since the last scheduled services on the line.
    There was a delay in acquiring the property because the railway house had been a private residence until now.

Local Councillor John Crowe has welcomed the acquisition of the house and lands saying "there's light at the end of the tunnel" for the project which is funded by the government as part of Transport 21.
    A new platform will be built around the station house and an entrance to the new facility will be completed by April 2009.

Acting senior planner with Clare County Council, John Bradley, said the local authority had worked in close co-operation with Iarnrod Eireann with regard to the reopening of the former railway station.

"Iarnrod Eireann has advised that funding has been provided in the 2008/2009 budgetary cycles for the upgrading of infrastructural requirements and it is anticipated that the passenger rail service will be open some time during 2009

"No fixed dates are available for the scheduled opening of this facility," he added.

There are also plans to provide a park and ride facility at Shannon Airport to the station. "It will open up the country for everyone," Cllr Crowe said.

"It will be big for the Shannon area to have a connection from the airport to the station. I have been 12 years campaigning for this and I'm thrilled that work is now progressing quickly."

It is hoped that more credence will be given to calls for a rail link between the airport and Limerick city when Sixmilebridge railway station is fully operational.

"The Airport Authority will realise how many people are using it. They will have live figures and it will strengthen their hand when they go looking for a direct rail link from Shannon to Limerick," Cllr Crowe said.

Meanwhile, trackwork on the Western Rail Corridor is well underway and is on schedule according to Iarnrod Eireann. Sixmilebridge will be one of seven stations along the route between Limerick and Galway. The line will also serve Ennis, Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell, Oranmore and Athenry.

It will provide a range of inter-regional services currently not available while promoting balanced regional development.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-to-Galway-line-on.4504840.jp

Limerick to Galway line on track for next May

Date: 18 September 2008
    By David Hurley
    FOLLOWING the successful roll out of the Limerick to Nenagh commuter rail service last month it has been confirmed that direct train services between Limerick and Galway are expected to be up and running by May 2009.
    Up to 14 daily services will operate between the two cities when the new service commences following the completion of the €106.5 million redevelopment of the Ennis-Athenry rail line.

"It is very good news and it will help us to form another leg of the Atlantic Corridor which will give train services from Cork, Limerick and Ennis through to Galway," said Jim Gallivan, business development manager, with Iarnrod Eireann in Limerick.

The existing single track between Ennis and Athenry is currently being replaced as part of the project, which is being funded under Transport 21.

Around 18 miles of track have already been replaced and the remainder will be upgraded by early next year at which point testing of the track will begin.

Mr Gallivan said he hopes there will be seven daily services in each direction when the service begins in ten months' time. The trains will serve Limerick, Ennis, Athenry, and Galway, as well as new stations at Sixmilebridge, Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell, and Oranmore.

It is over 30 years since there was a regular rail service between Limerick and Galway and the new service also promises to provide passengers with connections to Heuston Station in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

Looks like Sixmilebridge Railway station will be up and running this summer according to this article:

http://www.clarenews.ie/article.asp?id=1153

McCarthy welcomes news that her family home will reopen as Sixmilebridge Railway Station

02 December 2008

News that work will begin shortly on reopening Sixmilebridge railway station has been broadly welcomed by councillors in Shannon, but for one councillor in particular, it brought back fond memories of living in the station house.

Earlier this year Clare County Council acquired two acres of land and Cllr Patricia McCarthy’s family home, which was still occupied by her father John O’Connell, for a reported sum of €750,000.
    Mr O’Connell had worked on the West Clare Railway, immortalised in song by Percy Ffrench, until its closure and had been relocated to Sixmilebridge as station master in 1959.
    Last week his daughter Patricia was delighted to hear that work will begin shortly on the station and it is intended to resume services during 2009.
    The announcement came during a presentation given to the Shannon area councillors’ committee by Fiona Mooney and Eilis Ní Nuanain.
    Reopening of the Sixmilebridge station comes under stage one of the Western Rail Corridor. Track work has been ongoing since 2007 and will be completed next year.
    Car parking facilities will be available with spaces for eighty vehicles, including three disabled bays. Fees will be broadly similar to other similar stations at €2 per day or €8 per week for commuters. These charges will help to defray the cost of a CCTV security system.
    Iarnród Éireann intend to relocate the platform from alongside the station house as technical specifications on track gradients have changed.
    According to Ms. Mooney the station house itself will not be required for rail operations and the ticket dispenser will be available on the platform. Some ground has been purchased from the Brothers of Charity to improve access.
    In reply to a query, Cllr Gerry Flynn was informed that the station house is not a protected structure. “It should be because that it a landmark in Sixmilebridge,” he said.
    When he asked if this means it could be bulldozed, Ms Mooney said no, the intention is to have it refurbished and put to a commercial use.
    Cllr Flynn was also concerned that people living adjacent to the station should be consulted on the development as the reopened station would have a huge impact on their lives.
    Ms Mooney said that the local authority had consulted with the Brothers of Charity but not with the wider community. Cllr Flynn urged them to do so sooner rather than later.
    Cllr John Crowe welcomed the development saying it would provide a massive boost for Shannon, Sixmilebridge and the entire East Clare area.
    Cllr Pat McMahon said it will be brilliant for the whole area as it will link Sixmilebridge into the national rail network, giving people a viable alternative when travelling to any part of the country and improving access to Shannon Airport.
    He added that the success of this station might change minds at Government level to introduce a series of local stations along the line.
    Fiona Mooney said that the project will be going through Part VIII of the planning process in December and Iarnród Éireann will commence work in the new year.
    She added that the work will include a short road closure of approximately two days to facilitate bridge works and the station will open in 2009.
    Cllr Patricia McCarthy prefaced her remarks by saying that it is the first time in many years that she feels free to talk about the project because her father was the owner of the property in question.
    “Even though I would have been prevented from speaking, I have been fully supportive of this proposal and keen to see it come to a conclusion.
    Cllr McCarthy recalled her family arriving at the station house in 1959. “It was a nice place to live and a fine house and I know my father will be delighted to know that the building is going to be preserved.
    “Structurally it is sound and I look forward to see it being put into active use again. This is a very welcome development for the area.
    “For us as a family it’s great because we left Kilrush before the closure of the West Clare railway and arrived in Sixmilebridge to see another closure of a railway. I know that my father is happy that the railway station will be reopened.
    “We had no desire to see our family home sold only for the opening of a railway. It’s been a long process, it was ten years ago or maybe longer when it first appeared that the logical place for a railway would be Sixmilebridge.
    “We had conditioned ourselves to the fact that we were going to be selling our family home.
    “I remember when it was a very active station with a lot of cattle and cargo passing through, sheep being moved and there was a lot of activity. Personally and speaking for the family, we are absolutely delighted it is going back into use again,” said Cllr McCarthy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great news, thanks for the update Tadgh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Are they going to be using the commuter trains on these lines? I don't think the train to galway will be worth it, it will be ridiculously expensive. I think its 60 euro return from ennis to dublin now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

exiot wrote: »
    Are they going to be using the commuter trains on these lines? I don't think the train to galway will be worth it, it will be ridiculously expensive. I think its 60 euro return from ennis to dublin now
    I know what you mean, if there's a couple of people going it makes a lot more sense to drive, but it opens up the whole west for tourism, linking 2 cities with public transport is all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

For once there is something positive happening :). I know I will certainly be using the train to go into limerick from the bridge. It will save a lot of hassle parking etc providing the times are right.

• Advertisement

golden wrote: »
    For once there is something positive happening :). I know I will certainly be using the train to go into limerick from the bridge. It will save a lot of hassle parking etc providing the times are right.

Ya I will be using it as well coming home from Dublin at the weekends. Will be handy alright. Do you think many people in Sixmilebridge will use the station once it's opened?

When they re-open the Galway-Ennis line I imagine they will have reduced fares to encourage people to use it. Dublin-Ennis fares have gone very expensive even with the weekender card. IE's reason is because the Dublin-Cork line is double track, they charge extra for any rail trips taken on this line

The Galway train goes via Athenry so I would imagine that it would still be quicker to go by Bus or car, will be great to have the option though.

Tadhg17 wrote: »
    Ya I will be using it as well coming home from Dublin at the weekends. Will be handy alright. Do you think many people in Sixmilebridge will use the station once it's opened?

When they re-open the Galway-Ennis line I imagine they will have reduced fares to encourage people to use it. Dublin-Ennis fares have gone very expensive even with the weekender card. IE's reason is because the Dublin-Cork line is double track, they charge extra for any rail trips taken on this line

Thats true, having said that there are a few new housing estates around the station so you never know, I dont know about car parking though, if people are from the surrounding area. For me the train station is within walking distance.

golden wrote: »
    Thats true, having said that there are a few new housing estates around the station so you never know, I dont know about car parking though, if people are from the surrounding area. For me the train station is within walking distance.

I will definitely be using the station in Sixmilebridge when it re-opens but I wonder will it be used much locally. We will have to wait and see I suppose. More than likely it will depend on what sort of connections they will have to Limerick/Galway/Dublin and making people aware that the station is up and running.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I live very near the station and would use it. There seems to be a bit of activity at the old station now so looks like ground work is starting.

• Advertisement

I live very near the station and would use it. There seems to be a bit of activity at the old station now so looks like ground work is starting.

Have they started on Sixmilebridge railway station already? The last few times I passed the station on the train, it didn't look like anything was happening there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Have they started on Sixmilebridge railway station already? The last few times I passed the station on the train, it didn't look like anything was happening there
    I seen vans etc going in but nothing seems to have happened yet!

I seen vans etc going in but nothing seems to have happened yet!

Hopefully they will be getting started on it soon so seeing as it's supposed to be opened this summer

http://www.clarecoco.ie/news/Road_Closure_Sixmilebridge.html

Temporary closing of roads in connection with Sixmilebridge railway station
    Date issued: 6th March 2009

Notice is hereby given in accordance with Section 75 of the Roads Act 1993 of Clare County Council's intention to close the road detailed hereunder for the period stated due to enable partial demolition of the existing arch bridge and construction of a new bridge deck which will facilitate railway track realignment and the construction of a new platform at the Sixmilebridge railway station.

Road to be closed
    The R471 Shannon to Sixmilebridge Regional Road will be closed 100 metres either side of Atterbury railway bridge in Sixmilebridge. Practical considerations and Health & Safety requirements dictate that a full road closure will be required for the work to be undertaken.

Diversionary routes will be signposted and are as follows
    Traffic travelling to Sixmilebridge from Shannon is advised to follow the detour route that will be in operation for the duration of the proposed closure. This detour will be signposted along the L-3177 local road, the R-458 regional road and the R-470 regional road.

Traffic travelling to Shannon from Sixmilebridge is advised to follow the detour route that will be in operation for the duration of the proposed closure. This detour will be signposted along the L-3147 local road, the R-470 regional road, the R-458 regional road and the L-3177 local road.

Dates and times of closure
    The planned closure will begin on Friday the 27th March 2009 at 11:00 a.m. and end on Monday 30th March 2009 at 16:00 p.m.

Objections
    Objections/representations may be made in writing to the

Senior Executive Officer,
    Transportation & Infrastructure Department,
    Clare County Council,
    Áras Contae an Chláir,
    New Road,
    Ennis,
    Co. Clare.

before 5:00 p.m. on Friday 13th March 2009

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=487

Roadwork on the R471 at Atterbury Railway bridge by Media & PR

In order to provide a new Train Station in Sixmilebridge Iarnród Éireann will be carrying out works on the R471 at Atterbury Railway bridge that will involve some disruption to road users as indicated below.

Full Road Closure on the R471 at Atterbury Railway bridge in Sixmilebridge from Friday the 27th of March at 11.00am to Monday the 30th March at 4.00pm. This will facilitate the part demolition of the existing bridge and the construction of a new bridge.

Following the works above there will be part road closures on the R471. There will be temporary traffic lights at the Railway bridge on the R471 from the 31st of March to the 12th of April between the hours of 10.00am and 4.00pm. This will allow Iarnród Éireann to carry out works on the approach roads to the bridge.

Diversionary routes will be signposted and are as follows:

Traffic travelling to Sixmilebridge from Shannon is advised to follow the detour route that will be in operation for the duration of the proposed closure. This detour will be signposted along the L-3177 local road, the R-458 regional road and the R-470 regional road.

Traffic travelling to Shannon from Sixmilebridge is advised to follow the detour route that will be in operation for the duration of the proposed closure. This detour will be signposted along the L-3147 local road, the R-470 regional road, the R-458 regional road and the L-3177 local road.

More information on the project is available by phoning low call no. 1890 656591 or email wrc@irishrail.ie

Iarnród Éireann apologise for any disruption caused due to these necessary works. We would like to thank you for your continued support with this project and look forward to the opening of the Western Rail Corridor to our mutual advantage in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tredge

Do ye think that the Ennis to Glaway line will be a viable alternative to driving on a daily basis. The fact you have to change in Athenry will the journey time be just not worth it - anyone any idea what the proposed journey time is??

tredge wrote: »
    Do ye think that the Ennis to Glaway line will be a viable alternative to driving on a daily basis. The fact you have to change in Athenry will the journey time be just not worth it - anyone any idea what the proposed journey time is??

I have read it will take 1 hour 45 mins from Limerick-Galway by rail once the line re-opens, around 60-65 mins from Ennis-Galway. The service will be direct. They will be using the small railcar trains that go from Ennis-Limerick so when the train gets to Athenry, the train driver changes to the other end of the train and heads on to Galway. Passengers won't have to change in Athenry going from Limerick-Galway.

The timetable will accomodate commuters to both cities so I imagine there will be a train leaving Limerick getting into Galway before 9am and vice versa. I imagine Irish Rail will have cheap fares on the route when it opens to promote the service just like they did with the Ennis-Limerick service when it restarted a few years back.

Irish Rail info on the line:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/projects/western_rail_corridor.asp

Work is now underway on phase one of the Western Rail Corridor. Trackwork has begun in October 2007. This is one of the most significant stages of the development of the Western Rail Corridor. The work is on schedule and services will begin in mid 2009.

The Ennis to Athenry railway will:

Deliver direct, regular Galway to Limerick services, timed to meet commuter needs
    Serve Limerick, Ennis; new stations at Sixmilebridge, Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell, Oranmore, Athenry and Galway
    Expand commuter links to Limerick and Galway
    Provide, with connections, a range of inter-regional services currently not available, through linking with Limerick-Dublin and Galway-Dublin services
    Promote balanced regional development, in line with National Spatial Strategy objectives, by linking two Gateways - Limerick and Galway - and serving the hub of Ennis
    The investment project to be delivered by Iarnród Éireann involves:

Renewal of 36 miles of track, including all necessary fencing and drainage and installation of points and crossings at Gort and Ennis.
    A 90m platform with furniture, signage, shelter incorporating an ATVM, lighting, car park, local PA, Customer Information Systems, help point and CCTV provision will be provided at the 3 locations of Gort, Ardrahan and Craughwell- At Ennis and Athenry stations local PA, Customer Information Systems, help point and CCTV will be provided or upgraded as necessary.
    All stations will be accessible to the mobility impaired
    Repair and improvement work will be undertaken on bridges on the route to allow rail services to operate
    signalling systems
    Improvement to level crossings, and elimination where practicable
    The reopening of the Western Rail Corridor is funded by the Irish Government as part of the Transport 21 investment programme, after a gap of over 30 years since the last scheduled services on the line.

Theres a thread on it here on boards:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141318&page=103

Looks like they will be working for 72 hours straight over the weekend. Must be freezing out there.

That is correct its raining and windy in the Bridge at the moment but they are getting well paid for it like out of hours work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

• Advertisement

Looks like they will be working for 72 hours straight over the weekend. Must be freezing out there.

Have these works finished now? Have they made the bridge bigger or wider?

Have these works finished now? Have they made the bridge bigger or wider?

They are still working on the the final surface has not been put down however you can use the bridge, and there is going to be a foothpath on the left as your going out of the Bridge to Shannon.

I see in the local press that IR are now saying that re-opening of Ennis - Athenry is not now happening until late Summer (they keep putting it back)!

I see in the local press that IR are now saying that re-opening of Ennis - Athenry not now happening until late Summer (they keep putting it back)!

It looks like all the work has stopped on the site now. No machines or activity since they did the work on the bridge.

There was movement in the bridge train station today. The fence was put aside and vehicles in the entrance also people working on the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

Clare Co. Co. have a planning sign up. Its for a car park and associated access etc.. Nothing in it about a platform - this must be exept?

Planning decision due 27/5 I think. If you go into the Clare Co. Co website it shows all the drawings and plans. Nothing interesting in it really.

Looks like the Railway station in Sixmilebridge will re-open in late August according to this Article:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/7176-galway-have-six-western-rail-corridor-stops-open-end-summer

GALWAY TO HAVE SIX WESTERN RAIL CORRIDOR STOPS OPEN BY THE END OF THE SUMMER
    Tue 14th April 2009
    There will be six train stops in Galway ready in time for the reopening of the first phase of the Western Rail Corridor at the end of the summer.

Iarnród Éireann has confirmed direct rail services from Galway to Limerick are expected to begin in late August via stations in Oranmore, Athenry, Craughwell, Ardrahan and Gort.

The trains will continue via Sixmilebridge and Ennis to Limerick upon completion of the 107 million euro redevelopment.

The project involved the upgrading of several stations in south Galway, the latest of which is Gort, which ran into planning difficulties.

jister wrote: »
    Clare Co. Co. have a planning sign up. Its for a car park and associated access etc.. Nothing in it about a platform - this must be exept?

Planning decision due 27/5 I think. If you go into the Clare Co. Co website it shows all the drawings and plans. Nothing interesting in it really.

Ya the planning application number is 098002, I imagine the platform construction is separate and Irish Rail will be completing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tretle

Tbh I thought this was never going to happen, even when they started work I didn't link it to the station reopening. I live a two minute walk away from it, literally just around the corner and can see this being really useful when finished.
    The bus service in Sixmilebridge is horrible, you have about 3 buses a day to limerick and they are all widely spaced, only one bus for getting to college in time, if you miss it your f+cked :D
    One thing I dont like though is what they did to the actual bridge, I thought it was a bit unnecesary demolishing the wall and replacing it with what looks like war baracades from the front lines.

Its work in progress the bridge so its not the finished product.

Yes the old wall was nice but I have seen a near fatality a guy walking his small dog nearly been ploughed up by a car due to the other side traffic. Yes he was on the verge and stopped and pulled in his dog and facing the oncoming traffic. So they did need to widen the bridge to allow for a footpath.

They didnt widen it, I walk on that bridge every second day and its no wider than when the old wall is there. The only difference is they got rid of the grass which they could have done with the old wall.

jister wrote: »

Looks like they have started work on the platform for the railway station in Sixmilebridge. Going past on the train to Ennis on Friday evening, it looks like they are doing the foundations for the platform beside the track. There is a digger and other machinery there. Looks like the platform wont be at the former station house, more a bit up the line in the Ennis direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Any updates on the station?

Any updates on the station?
    Work is being started next week on upgrading the line at the station and this is set to take a number of weeks.

• Advertisement

Well its progressing nicely for those of you interested, I would say they should be finished by Augest. The seem to have started work making the wall seem less like something from prison :)

Saw at the weekend they are starting to put the platform at Sixmilebridge railway station in place beside the tracks, looks to be a bit further up the track towards Ennis from the old railway station house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

This is great news for South East Clare, I am happy that the area has an important piece of infrustructure at last. The region needs a serious boost. Think back 1-2 years ago, there was harp about Shannon getting a rail link. First they said FULL CIE connection to the Ennis/Limerick line, then they played it down after a "feesibility study". Even still, locals in Shnnon still harped about a "light rail link" to this main line, which would be a fraction of the cost of the previously proposed. That idea was also dreamed for a very short time and gradually faded into history like the rest of the ****e talk that goes on it Ireland.

Now we here that "Sixmilebridge" is getting a train station. Welcome to the 21st centuary! Its high time somewhere in SouthEast Clare got a rail link, just a pity SHANNON, an industrial vena cava could not have it instead. The investment would be better if they spent the money linking somewhere as central as Shannon and not a backwater like the bridge. No offence, the bridge is on the line already, so upgrade is easy and doesnt cost much. But then again "Clarecastle" has the same old antique station and deserves the station as much as Crusheen or the Bridge.

All this harp of excitement is another example of how the Irish eventually roll over and take the easy way. It seems that time and time again, we let ourselves get rapore with the authorities that be. As soon as they say "no thats not a good idea" we say" "OK so, thats true" and fall for their ****. We never give one bit of protest, and even if we do, the power junkies just ride the storm long enough for us to forget about it. Then all of a political sudden, they come out and annouce quick fix 2 YEARS NEARLY after the Shannon rail idea died!

WAKE UP PEOPLE. The stop should be in Shannon. This is where most commuter traffic on the N18 from Limerick, Galway and Ennis/West Clare (not to mention all the other directions) goes to every morning noon and night, and yet we let a great idea like the Shannon rail link die and accept another HALFARSE solution to a MAJOR transport problem.

No to mention, a stop at "low density place like the Bridge", is going to delay an already long journey between Ennis and Limerick. 40 minutes on everage it takes today, A JOKE seen as a car can beat it.

Are we really going to accept these type of annoucements as great news? Or are we going to say for ONCE "NO, WE DONT WANT A HALFARSE SOLUTION, WE WANT THE REAL DEAL". But Irish people in their nature "don't care" and the vast majority if they were put with this, would induce a coma. More Irish people need to start "DEMANDING" the best, including a health service. 40000 women ran for the "dublin city marathon"? 40000 women in Dublin city centre could be put to better use than running! How about a RIOT outside Leinster house, that would get Fianna Fail trembling. "NO THE MARATHON, LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Well I think Clare county council should designate Sixmilebridge as a growth area.

If they are going to reopen the railway station, I think they should think about this.

Like they should aim for a population of 15,000.

Ennis 60,000 (land zoned for a population rise)
    Shannon 25,000
    Sixmilebridge 15,000
    Newmarket on fergus 5,000
    Kilrush 7,500
    Kilkee 5,000
    Ennistymon 4,000
    Gort 10,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

WOW! Didn't realise Ennis population so big. I can remember growing up in Ennis when it stood at 10,000.

Talk about everyone knowing everyone else's business.....!

I miss that:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

mysterious wrote: »
    Shannon 25,000
    Sixmilebridge 15,000
    Kilrush 7,500
    Kilkee 5,000
    Ennistymon 4,000
    Gort 10,000.

Was the county boundary moved ? I thought Gort was in Galway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Claregirl wrote: »
    WOW! Didn't realise Ennis population so big. I can remember growing up in Ennis when it stood at 10,000.

Talk about everyone knowing everyone else's business.....!

I miss that:P

Ennis has 25000 people!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

mysterious wrote: »
    Well I think Clare county council should designate Sixmilebridge as a growth area.

If they are going to reopen the railway station, I think they should think about this.

Like they should aim for a population of 15,000.

Shannon 25,000
    Sixmilebridge 15,000
    Kilrush 7,500
    Kilkee 5,000
    Ennistymon 4,000
    Gort 10,000.[/quote

You got land you'd like rezoned by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Western Corridor is a joke, with the roll out of quality interurban dual carriageways a Bus Eireann would hammer IR on any journey along the same route. This line should reserved for tourist steam and nostalgic rail excursions.

Advertisement