Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any fixed gear bikes for sale?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has a fixed gear bikes for sale?

As it is for my daily commute, ideally the frame would need to be able to mount mud guards. For a frame size, I'm 5"8' and with 30" inside leg.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

Dont know if youve seen them already or not but i saw these two on Gumtree yesterday -

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/27/29771027.html

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/34/29507134.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

How much are you willing to spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Hah. Good to see the Pistadex in Dublin is holding up well.

The second one of those bikes wouldn't exactly be ideal for commutingm, and neither of them will take mudguards as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

penexpers wrote: »
    neither of them will take mudguards as far as I can see.

Aren't mudguards on a fixie like wellies on a supermodel?

I thought the sun always shines on a fixie.

</aha>

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Hi disneyonfire,

Yea I spotted those two bikes too. The green bike looks like a great set up but a little pricey for me!

Plus I didn't see brakes on either of them. I know the hard core might not need brakes on a fixie but it is my first time trying them out so wouldn't mind the extra safety net for at least the first while! :)

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    How much are you willing to spend?

I was probably thinking of something around the €350-400 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Those bikes are nice but I doubt they will get that money for them. In fairness to the first one the new wheels on it do cost a bit. Note to the OP- if cycling on the street you will need brakes so I would give these two a miss.

EDIT: OP, everyone needs brakes on their street fixie, nothing to do with how skilled you are, just some people are idiots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

penexpers wrote: »
    Hah. Good to see the Pistadex in Dublin is holding up well.

Yeah, despite the economy / budget. Though snobby insists that the pistadex is more durable than the other market indicators:D

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

+1 on the need brakes for road. No debate - a lot easier to stop with a front brake (flipped over to fixed for the first time today, after repairing a puncture sustained at the end of the fourth day commuting on the Langster - lousy mondo sport tyres)

600 bills for the green one? I got a new 08 Langster in Belfast for the equivalent of €440

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I got a new 08 Langster in Belfast for the equivalent of €440
    Where was that? Cheers

• Advertisement

McConvey Cycles. Was unfortunately the last one in the shop, it was reduced from £400 to £350. €600 in cycleways - though surely they'll be reducing that since they appear to have the '09 Langster Monaco for the same price on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

McConvey Cycles. Was unfortunately the last one in the shop, it was reduced from £400 to £350. €600 in cycleways - though surely they'll be reducing that since they appear to have the '09 Langster Monaco for the same price on their site.

I bought a Langster myself and the 1st thing I did was change the tyres.The stock one's are terrible. I got Bontrager Race Xlite which have a Kevlar strip, which I was told are puncture resistant. I got them in red to match the bike also. (Fred!)

Yeah - I had a pair of Ultra Gatorskins waiting to go on - was just lazy. Least the puncture only happened about 500M from home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I have gatorskins on my road bike. They're excellent, over 1,000 km's done on them with no puncture (I probably just jinxed myself now)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Try this

It came up with this

Or change the search to which ever bike you're after.

600 bills for the green one? I got a new 08 Langster in Belfast for the equivalent of €440

Yea if I was to spend €600 I think it would be a new off the shelf model, maybe PaddyWagon, Langster etc...

BTW that was a great price for the Langster! Was looking to see if any of the £225 Bowerys are around but no joy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

the langster tyres are useless - thats the only fault i'd have with the bike (and i found the gearing ratio a little bit too easy, but maybe thats because i was used to riding a 48/13), so if i was you buying one i'd go to a shop and haggle them to swap the originals for something like the armadillos, i have them on three of my bikes and they're invincible as far as i can see (yes, tempting fate alright)

shame you werent around a few months back when i was trying to sell mine for around 350, they all went for 200 on average on eBay.ie :-(

for that budget though, i'd recommend you build your own. it'll be more fun, you'll learn some really good skills, and you'll feel totally connected to the bike.
    (no, not in that zen type connection to the bike) before some smart ass pipes up

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

flickerx wrote: »
    for that budget though, i'd recommend you build your own. it'll be more fun, you'll learn some really good skills, and you'll feel totally connected to the bike.
    (no, not in that zen type connection to the bike) before some smart ass pipes up

I'd also recommend building your own. It really is great fun and very rewarding when it becomes road-worthy.

On a mudguard related note, if you find a frame you'd like to build up and it doesn't have provision for mudguards (as did I), there are rear mudguards that mount to the seatpost. They look a bit naff to be honest, but they'll do the job.

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Try this

It came up with this

Or change the search to which ever bike you're after.

Never new Google had this feature, very handy cheers!!

Flickrerx, Billy Whizz - yes your right on the self build option. It would be pretty cool to do it all from scratch. Might cool the jets for a while and see if this is an option!

Advertisement