Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas bill underestimating

Options
  • 14-10-2008 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone elses bill was similiar but hasn't noticed.

We got our gas bill last week, its came to 14 euro which I knew straight away was very badly underestimated. We've never had a bill that low. They estimated we used 7 units(80 kWh). I went out and read the meter and was right we had in fact used 40 units(454kWh).

Because of the recent gas price changes 47 of the 80 kwh were at the old cheaper price and 33 were are the new more expensive price. So straight away I was annoyed because I knew that when the do the adjustment for the underestimated bill at the next bill all the units would be at the new higher rate.

So I rang them, gave them the new reading and they said they'd send out a new bill. so yesterday the new bill arrived. The took my old bill amount (14euro) and then added on the extra 33 units at the new higher price, even though over half of those would have been used at the old lower price.

I'm currently waiting on them to ring back to sort it out. Even the girl on the phone thought it was crazy. I just thought I'd post here so other people might check. I don't feel its just a random mistake, its like they delibritely underestimated by a large amount so we'd have to pay more when the next bill came.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How do you know which portion of the 47 units were used while the old rate was in effect and when the new rate was in effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I do get the feeling that the Gas Board trick around with when they read the meter alright.

Anyway, you will know what to do the next time an increase is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I also wonder if they have some T&C that states "all estimated readings over the period of a price increase will be charged at the new rate" - does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This is very interesting as I got a bill for seven euro. Is this a scam to squeez a few more euro out of us by using the new price? Must ring them tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Same here, last bill was €15. Thought it was a mistake and paid it anyway. This sounds like a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 aishling99

they dated on the bill when the old and new rates were in effect. I guess they decide which were at the old and new rate based on the number of days. So if there were 30 days at old rate and 20 days at new rate then the total number used are split based on that. however any of the underestimated unit, which were alot in my case and thats my arguement have been charged at the new higher rate when they should also be split based on the number of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

aishling99 wrote: »
    So if there were 30 days at old rate and 20 days at new rate then the total number used are split based on that.

You would imagine that this is the way it should be split alright, assume equal usage on all days. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to bring the new price into effect until the next bill after the prices have increased, as they wouldn't know how much was used at each rate in a mixed rate billing period.
    aishling99 wrote: »
    however any of the underestimated unit, which were alot in my case and thats my arguement have been charged at the new higher rate when they should also be split based on the number of days.

This is just another way for them to fleece us. Persist with getting them to correct the bill, with the correct ration of old to new rate on the actual reading. If they don't do it, get on to the Energy Regulator.

I'll have to watch my bill when it arrives, due any day now I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

If you get an estimated bill when there's a price increase due, is there anything stopping you from calling in a higher reading than the one on your meter? Thus effectively pre-paying at the lower rate.

MOH wrote: »
    If you get an estimated bill when there's a price increase due, is there anything stopping you from calling in a higher reading than the one on your meter? Thus effectively pre-paying at the lower rate.

That's a great idea! Add maybe an extra 100euro worth of numbers to your reading, then you should get half of that at the old rate and your next reading will be low. Interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Exactly - we should all take our own meter readings when the price changes take effect - cos you would not want to rely on Bord Gais or ESB to make fair estimates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I got a bill for €19, and could not get into the meter with my pliers. I rang them, and they said they would send out a key to open it - a month later - still no key. I asked them, that based on last years usage for the same period, that I know it was highly underestimated. What, if any, come back do I have. Didn't esb do this before, and had to reimburse people?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aishling99

just to update i got a call from bord gais today to say they were giving me a credit of 2.70

not a huge amount to argue over but i felt it was the principle so am happy with the outcome.

What, if any, come back do I have.

Without an actual reading of the meter, none. Since it's been a month, you've probably left it too late anyway as your next bill will be along soon.

Advertisement