Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie thinking about touring

• 14-10-2008 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I live in Berlin at the moment but I work online, so I can work from wherever there's an internet connection. I'm half thinking of getting a bike and just heading off for a while, the idea really appeals to me. No idea where I'd go, I'd prefer just to see where things take me. I've never even driven a bike before though...so I'm hoping to get some info from you good people to see if I'm mad or if it actually is possible :pac:

So here's a few questions (I'm sure there'll be plenty more)

I have an Irish drivers license, just the regular one for cars. I presume this isn't enough to allow me to drive on continental roads?

How would insurance work? Can I get a plan that would cover me for all of Europe/the world?

How much would I need to get myself on the road? I don't need a fancy bike, just something worthy of travelling on for a few hours a day. I would like to bring some gear with me. Don't need a lot, maybe a small tent, my laptop and clothes. Reliability is very important as I would be new to the mechanical side of things obviously. So any ideas off the top of your head what bike would be good, and how much it would be? I would have to save for this for a while, so it has to be cheapish.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sorry to be Practical Pete dude, but before you attempt any touring do lessons and practise!

Unlike Ireland I believe that in Germany you have to do so many hours with an instructor before you can get a full license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

faceman wrote: »
    Sorry to be Practical Pete dude, but before you attempt any touring do lessons and practise!

Unlike Ireland I believe that in Germany you have to do so many hours with an instructor before you can get a full license.

Yeah I agree of course. If I am going to do this, I'll be making sure I'm prepared. I wouldn't buy a bike other than for this reason really, so I'm just seeing if the whole idea is viable. Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Cianos wrote: »
    Yeah I agree of course. If I am going to do this, I'll be making sure I'm prepared. I wouldn't buy a bike other than for this reason really, so I'm just seeing if the whole idea is viable. Cheers

It might be worth giving MAG Ireland a call, they might have some contacts in Germany they could hook you up with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

I have to say, that for this is still the most enjoyable part of motorcycling after over 30 yrs.

Firstly, you need a full licence and also you need some experience, although you don''t need years of it. Ted Simon, "Jupiters Travels" admits to little experience before travelling around the world. (would be worth a read too)

Whether you like it or not, you will have to become somewhat mechanically minded. Little things happen and you need at least a basic level of knowledge about your bike.

When you have the basics arrange a few short trips, maybe a week at a time. And it might be easier, at least first time, in southern Europe where the weather lends itself to touring, rather than Ireland where the weather is more hit and miss.

Are you comfortable on your own or do you like company? This might influence whether you do it alone or with a group.

Finally, almost any bike of about 500cc/50hp would do -and many have traveled on less. Just make sure it 'fits' your body and you are comfortable on it.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

In terms of bikes you would need at least a 500cc as was said,although I did meet a guy last year who traveled around Ireland on a 125 and was on his way back to the continent. He enjoyed himself although it's not something I'd aspire to doing:D. I also met a German guy in France who had traveled for 2 months around europe on a 500 and had a ball.My one recommendation would be to possibly get a bike with shaft drive,like kawa GT500 when you get the full licence,which should be fairly cheap at this stage.While your still in the planning stage,that same german guy gave me a book of bike friendly hotels and hostels for all over europe,although in german it was still easy to navigate.I love planning trips,to my mind there is no better way of seeing europe than on a bike, good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement