Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL makes you bald?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

Well apparently so, as I have pulled out handfuls of hair while trying 3 times to get the feckers on the phone:mad:

They have just landed me with a 'stand alone' charge for broadband (a penalty for not getting telly from them).
    This is the first bill I got it on, and when I was on call number one, the rep said, there was a 'system review' and the 'error' was caught with a number of customers, so they were now adding it on.
    I pointed out that my contract was for a certain amount and they couldn't add on charges at will, if they had quoted me one price, and I had shopped around and chosen them based on that.

They put me on 'hold' (disconnected me)

Tried again (20 mins) and made them take my number.

Supervisor was 'busy' but would ring me back in 10 mins (3 hours ago)
    AAAArgh!

Anyone else have this happen?
    What next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

To put many long storys short...

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

inisboffin wrote: »
    I pointed out that my contract was for a certain amount and they couldn't add on charges at will, if they had quoted me one price, and I had shopped around and chosen them based on that.

But the charge is clearly listed on the website. And they also reserve the right in the T&C to vary charges.

You got away with the charge for a short period, but gratefull for the saving...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I just did a bit of googling on other boards.
    They have a downgrade charge too (I didn't downgrade)
    I signed up for broadband only, and this charge was NOT in place. According to them it was an error that it wasn't *charged* to all customers.
    Boll*x!
    They advertised and quoted a broadband only that didn't have this fee.

I understand (maybe) them introducing it, but surely they can't slap it on after 3 months (retroactively) because they fancy it?

Of *course* I can't find the name of the guy who gave me the original quote:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

But the charge is clearly listed on the website. And they also reserve the right in the T&C to vary charges.

You got away with the charge for a short period, but gratefull for the saving...

My dealings with them were all by phone, and the price quoted did not have that charge. Surely the website should have the same info as the call centre?
    According to them, it is an 'error' that they found in a 'review'

The other little joy, is that I was told they notified people of this in July by post.
    Yes, T and C may change with notification, but...
    Just got off the phone with someone who said our account has no record of us getting notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The last time I had dealing swith NTL/UPC, I had alot of trouble getting them to take my money. Cancelled the connection in the end, with letters coming regularly for a few months looking for the money they wouldn't take before.
    So my credit-rating has taken a bit of knock for their incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

They charge me €6/month for the pleasure of not having TV with my broadband. It's not like they actually stop the TV signal though. The analogue signal is still coming through with your BB.

If you tell them that you want TV with your BB, they'll charge you €12/month for it. Tell them you don't want it, and they'll charge you €6/month for it. There's a saving to be made here. ;)

What happens when analogue terrestrial signals are eventually phased out. Will UPC still charge €6/month for no analogue service when there's no analogue service to supply? :pac:

And just to confirm... I too am a bald UPC customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

po0k wrote: »
    The last time I had dealing swith NTL/UPC, I had alot of trouble getting them to take my money. Cancelled the connection in the end, with letters coming regularly for a few months looking for the money they wouldn't take before.
    So my credit-rating has taken a bit of knock for their incompetence.

AFAIK your credit rating only relates to credit - i.e. loans, credit cards, mortgages, etc. So unless you got a loan from NTL they can't affect your credit rating. Not many people know so companies can threaten to affect your credit rating if you don't pay a bill etc, but in reality they can't, they can only take you to court for non-payment. Maybe if they got a judgement against you then it would hit your credit rating, but not until then - AFAIK!

Advertisement